Scenes That Move You

Great stuff, guys…

Those ending scenes of “Braveheart” were truly inspiring…

I remember leaving the movies thinking “What did I just see”?

FREEDOM!

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

I remember leaving the movies thinking “What did I just see”?
[/quote]

I had that same reaction after The Big Lebowski, I’m still not sure what that movie was about.

American History X: The scene where Danny is given the assignment to “write about your -brother” and to “analyze the events in your life and how they shaped your views” (paraphrased obviously)by Dr. Sweeney.

40 Year Old Virgin: Body wax scene

Wake Up Ron Burgundy (the “other” anchorman that was thrown out because it made the movie too long): Champ professing his love for Ron.

Remember The Titans: practically any scene from that movie.

Independence Day: The President’s speech.

John Q: “I AM NOT GOING TO BURY MY SON! MY SON IS GOING TO BURY ME!”

Armageddon: Bruce Willis’s broken transmission to his daughter

Braveheart: Speech to the army before the first big battle with the English

Con Air: Reunion with his wife & daughter.

Forrest Gump: mooning the president.

Thank You for Smoking: When the supposed “off the record” information is published.

Rudy: “Let Rudy take my place” scene.

Shawshank Redemption: Suicide of the ex-con.

South Park, Bigger, Longer, and Uncut: “Have you ever heard of the emancipation proclamation?” “I’m sorry, I don’t listen to hip-hop”.

South Park, Bigger, Longer, and Uncut: Kyle’s mom is a bitch and Blame Canada songs. (Both on my ipod).

Super Troopers: meow.

Men Of Honor:
-Why do you want this so bad?
-Because they said I couldn’t have it.

-Think you deserve to be here, don’t ya? Fraternizing among navy men? Think you’re as good as they are? How 'bout me, cookie? You better than me?
-You’re damn right I am!

Blackhawk Down: The scene where Mike Durant has been captured and the chopper is flying overhead for hours with the loudspeaker blaring, “Mike Durant, we will not leave you behind!”

Jarhead: The moto speech given by the platoon sergeant where he says,“I thank God for ever day he gives me in the Corps. Oorah.” I don’t know how many times I have echoed those sentiments… and how often I have thought just the opposite. That was Jamie Foxx’s finest role. He played it perfectly. That is exactly how my first plt. sergeant acted.

13th Warrior: “But I am not a warrior!” Viking guy,“Very soon, you will be.”

mike

[quote]Dragonvash wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
From Donnie Brasco, a movie that really isn’t holding up too well over the years:

I haven’t seen this movie in a long time but I loved it when it was released. What do you mean by your statement? That it doesn’t hold the test of time, that it didn’t get the praise it deserved, or it didn’t hold up well for you?

[/quote]

When I watched it recently, I realized Lefty basically gave Donnie a written blueprint of how things operate. There were only those little scenes at the beginning and one later on where Lefty was suspicious. I’d think someone in that line of work would be more cautious. For lack of a better term, I’d feel the movie isn’t “rewatchable”.

The very end of Donnie Darko where his girl friend and mother are looking at each other, and wave. Mad World always depresses the shit out of me when I hear it.

Cinema Paradiso

If the ending of this movie does not pull on your heartstrings, then you truly are a cold, heartless bastard.

I personally really dig the end of Friday Night Lights, where the full back and the quarter back both having amazing runs where they just give it everything, but come up short. And then how the full back’s dad gives him the ring. I thought that was good stuff.

[quote]itsthenickman wrote:
Cinema Paradiso

If the ending of this movie does not pull on your heartstrings, then you truly are a cold, heartless bastard. [/quote]

I agree. This is one of my top 5 favorite movies. So good.

Another scene: “Roxanne” from Moulin Rouge. Extremely emotional.

The ending of terminator 2: judgment day

“I know now why you cry. But it is something that I can never do.”

and as they lower him into the molten steel, that final shot of is his burning thumbs up always hurts to see.

I can’t believe no one mentioned the scene in LOTR 3, when Rohan came to Gondor and you see the sun rising and they all line up on the horizon. Oh, that made my hairs raise.

The speech Al Pacino gave in Scarface in the restuarant. “What does that make you? Good?”.

Also in Godfather I, in the end when he becomes the new Don and Clemenza,etc., kiss his hand. Very powerful.

And today I saw Transformers, and the one scene that stuck out in my mind was when Megatron transformed into the jet and flew off. The speed that he was moving at was conveyed so perfectly. Amazing.

Also more recently, the scene in Pirates 2, when Jack is tied to the mast, and he says " Pirate". You know the one.

Many more, but these really are engraved.

Ending of True Romance where it looks like Christian Bale is dead.

The scene in the movie Glory, when the 54th Mass is moving into position to assault Fort Wagner and the white soldier who had started a fight with them earlier yells “Give em hell for me!” Then at the end when they dump the colonel’s body in the pit with his men. Almost made me cry. Almost.

The scene in Apocolypse Now when the Air Cavalry rises up from the canopy to “Ride Of The Valkerie”.

The Hulk fighting the dogs at the cabin, and when he beats the shit out of the tanks in the desert.

The Grand Illusion

This movie has tons of funny dialogue, but the funniest scene is when the prisoners are putting on a cabaret to entertain themselves, and one of the prisoners has dressed up like a woman, and asks, “how do I look?” The room goes dead quite and all of the prisoners, who haven’t seen a woman in years, stare at the guy, and you see in their eyes that they are thinking about fucking him.

In the end when Marechal and Rosenthal are talking about the end of the war, and Marechal says he’s going to come back for the german woman who sheltered them, Rosenthal asks him if he is in love with her. “Maybe, I don’t know.” Marechal says. Or something close to that. To me that uncertainty and ambivalence is far more real than if he had just said yes.

Then when the two friends shake hands, just incase they get separated, “Goodbye Grease Monkey.”
“Goodbye Dirty Jew.” Ridiculing the ethnic/class lines that are supposed to separate the two.

The greatest film ever.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned these:

Empire Strikes Back: Way too many scenes to list from this movie, but…when Luke first sees Darth Vader standing high on the platform at the end of the movie, and Vader says “the Force is strong in you, young Skywalker…but you are not a Jedi yet.” I still think Empire is the best action movie, ever.

Aliens: when they realize the Aliens are in the ceiling, in the room, and Chet (Bill Paxson) goes down swinging.

Matrix: when Keanu Reeves realizes he is The One, says “No,” and stops the bullets from hitting him.

The Princess Bride: When Anigo Montoya chases down the Six-Fingered Man and gets his revenge, despite having a dagger in his stomach.

LOTR 3: someone else mentioned this, but when the Rohan line their horses up and save Minis Tirith, and the king gives that awesome speech: “Ride! Ride to ruin! Ride to the worlds end! Death! Death!”

Raiders of the Lost Ark: too many scenes to list, but the Ark melting the faces is still an amazing scene, beginning to end.

Star Wars: when the X-wings approach the Death Star for the first time in the final space battle, and they lock their wings and get ready to attack. How can you not be pumped up?

Superman 1: when Superman thinks Lois Lane is dead, screams, and flys around the world to reverse time. At one point he imagines the clouds taking shape of both his fathers talking to him, sharing their opinion of what he should do with his powers. Awesome.

The Thing: when the dudes head falls off, spider legs sprout out of it, and Kurt Russel gives the camera this “you gotta be shitting me” look before he torches it with a flame thrower.

Terminator: when Arnold takes like 8 shotgun blasts point blank from Reese, and then you see his hand twitch and he gets back up to chase them down.

Blade Runner: the Rutger Hauer speech in the end, when he catches the dove and it flys away as he dies, leaving Harrison Ford to live. Great acting.

Gladiator: too many to list, but when the punk-ass Emperor says to Maximus how his wife was ravaged and begged for more, and his son squeeled like a pig when they nailed him to the cross…that chokes me up everytime. you can see Maximus’ rage in his eyes, but he keeps his voice even. Unbelievable acting, powerful scene.

Okay, I’m done…

I guess that’s enough for now…

Gladiator, when Russell Crowe (Maximus) reveals his identity at the Coliseum in front of Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) and a large crowd.

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius
Commander of the Armies of the North
General of the Felix Legions
Loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurealis
Father to a murdered son
Husband to a murdered wife
And I will have my vengeance…in this life or the next.

Give me goose bumps everytime I watch it.

This scene from Platoon is a classic for me.

Dunno why exactly, but it always gets to me for some reason.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Dragonvash wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
From Donnie Brasco, a movie that really isn’t holding up too well over the years:

I haven’t seen this movie in a long time but I loved it when it was released. What do you mean by your statement? That it doesn’t hold the test of time, that it didn’t get the praise it deserved, or it didn’t hold up well for you?

When I watched it recently, I realized Lefty basically gave Donnie a written blueprint of how things operate. There were only those little scenes at the beginning and one later on where Lefty was suspicious. I’d think someone in that line of work would be more cautious. For lack of a better term, I’d feel the movie isn’t “rewatchable”.

[/quote]

It is based on a true story.

[quote]ska7e wrote:
This scene from Platoon is a classic for me.

Dunno why exactly, but it always gets to me for some reason.[/quote]

I love the scene at the end, when Charlie Sheen is being medivac’d out and he waves to the guy with the mustache, the guy who gave the roar in the smoke out scene, and the guy thumps his chest and roars.

My father’s a disabled Vietnam Vet and I’ve talked to a lot of Vietnam Vets, and their opinion varies as to whether or not we should have ever got involved in the first place, but they all agree that it was a total train wreck. But they are also, every one of them, proud of the fact that they served. The chest thumping and the roar of defiance sum that attitude up for me.