Scary (Not Just Gory) Movies

The Strangers looks soooo ooo creep and based on a true story.

so that makes it extra creepy

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

yah… I am with Natural Nate on the noise… same thing with The Grudge.

I am such a wussy

[/quote]

That wasn’t me, I wasn’t bothered by that noise. Possibly because sometimes I can actually make that noise.

However, how about the “closet” scene in The Ring near the beginning? Rest of the movie I found tedious. …But that closet scene…

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

yah… I am with Natural Nate on the noise… same thing with The Grudge.

I am such a wussy

That wasn’t me, I wasn’t bothered by that noise. Possibly because sometimes I can actually make that noise.

However, how about the “closet” scene in The Ring near the beginning? Rest of the movie I found tedious. …But that closet scene…[/quote]

I have to agree with Natural Nate. I didn’t find either the Grudge or The Ring scary at all. I thought The Ring was boring and I thought The Grudge was just silly. The creaking noise sounded like a frog burping. That’s just not scary to me. I did see The Grudge in the theater though and it was funny to hear everyone react to it. My date actually got pissed at me for laughing too much during the movie.

These “Grudge”-type movies are one-trick ponies: A sudden jarring image of a bizzare looking face with big eyes and a big mouth.

It’s actually a good trick. Got me the when I saw The Ring. But it gets predictable real fast.

See what I mean?

“Event Horizon” was somewhat scary, especially if you think you’re gonna watch just a sci-fi flic.
By the way, “sunshine” was just a less scary ripoff.

And I can really recommend “Audition” by Miike. Scary film.

The Descent

The Grudge

Pulse

Boogeyman

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I 2nd Candyman that movie scared the crap outta me. [/quote]

That movie is classic.

I have been checking out foreign horror movies lately and they aren’t bad at all.

The Orphanage reminds me of The Others (which was also a pretty decent ghost story even though it wasn’t “scary”).

Them by Richard Grandpierre is decent also…but you have endure the subtitles if you don’t speak French.

The Descent was good…and they are making a sequel to it.

John Carpenter’s The Thing is about the best horror movie I’ve seen in my life time…and I think it was made before I was born. The special effects were about 15 years ahead of its time.

40 days of Night was OK and won’t put you to sleep.

I have a whole collection on dvd so it would take a while to mention all of the ones I like.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
The TV show Millennium has some insanely disturbing episodes.

[/quote]

…before they sold out by the last season. Whoever wrote many of the episodes in the other 3 seasons must have been raised with nightmares.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
“Event Horizon” was somewhat scary, especially if you think you’re gonna watch just a sci-fi flic.
By the way, “sunshine” was just a less scary ripoff.

And I can really recommend “Audition” by Miike. Scary film. [/quote]

I think I can quote nearly every line from Event Horizon. Aside from Friday, I don’t think I’ve watched any movie more times.

John Carpenter was the shit back in the day…

I vote his “Prince of Darkness” as one of the scariest movies ever made…

I remember “accidentally” watching it as a kid…and my brother watching with me and crapping himself…no joke…lol.

Prince of Darkness trailer:

Some of these i will be showing my age but here goes

Suspiria-1977

Deep Red-1975

Funny Games-1997

Them-2006

And the first horror i ever saw
The last house on the left, scared the living shit out of me.

Devils Rejects is pretty good as well.

I’ve always felt that older horror movies held something intangible over modern day flicks. Yeah, the ring and the grudge and whatnot have their moments (and for what it’s worth, I felt 30 days of night was very well done) but movies from the 70’s and even the 80’s to me are far superior…I’m not sure if it’s because of the older technologies…the older soundtracks…having to rely more on things like a phone ringing (is there a more frightening sound in a classic horror movie?) instead of special effects…but to me, classic equates to far superior in the horror genre…

The 1981 flick Nightmare is a good example - brutal acting, but a great horror movie.

Even the “funny” horror movies were better - who can forget Emilio Estevez in the Bishop of Battle from the 1983 Nightmares trilogy?

Derived from pure urban legend. That’s the stuff horror movies are made from in my opinion.

Event Horrizon!! For Sure great movie.
I really like Devils rejects from Rob Zombie, a little gory, but weird the way at time you sympathize with the killers…really well done. Soundtrack rocks also, lots of oldies.

I thought Event Horizon had an amazing premise with great potential for horror. But it never quite pulls it off. By the end I was like, “Eh…”.

White Noise had great potential and actually was pretty good… until near the end. What a total disappointment.

Modern Horror cinema is ridiculously disappointing. I hope a new movement toward more old-school styles begins soon, as I am completely bored with current selections. The gore thing is the proverbial opiate of the masses, yet it makes for bad movies. The Ring/Grudge thing was fun the first time. The action/horror movies are the best of the lot, but they aren’t really horror. True horror films are difficult to make.

I’m definitely going to watch a few of the mentioned flicks, possibly today.

My personal favorite is the original The Shining. My father showed it to me when I was about five, and I had nightmares for weeks.

[quote]Bouchew wrote:
Event Horrizon!! For Sure great movie.
I really like Devils rejects from Rob Zombie, a little gory, but weird the way at time you sympathize with the killers…really well done. Soundtrack rocks also, lots of oldies.[/quote]

Devils rejects was a bit of let down after House of 1000 Courpses, that movie left me wondering what the fuck did I just see. It was pretty much a Texas Chainsaw rip but who cares it was twisted. Zombie is going to be a great director IMO, I love what he did with Halloween.

Jacob’s Ladder. I saw this when I was around 13, this movie scared the fcuking shit out of me.

Rawhide Rex was really freaking crazy too.

Night of the Living Dead, in fact all of Romero’s dead series have the whole hopelessness feel to them.

I’ll say, aside from the Ring, all of the Japanese to American films [the Grudge,Dark water,etc…] suck.They’re long,boring and not even remotely scary. The original Texas chainsaw maasacre was pretty creepy, and had little gore.