Scary (Not Just Gory) Movies

I love scary movies. But it seems now that horror movies are just gory.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for some horror movies that aren’t just gory?

Some of the ones I like are:

When A Stranger Calls (original version)
The Howling
Eyes of Laura Mars
Dracula 2000 (i loved the vampire explanation)

so… Saw is too gory, Turistas is also too gory.

Has anyone seen anything scary and not just gory?

Give The Orphanage a try. I didn’t realize it was subtitled when I rented it, but it still managed to spook me a bit. That’s probably the only recent scary movie I’ve seen that wasn’t gory.

My vote for scariest of all time is The Exorcist (the extended version).

I also thought Teeth was scary, but for a totally different reason. :wink:

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Give The Orphanage a try. I didn’t realize it was subtitled when I rented it, but it still managed to spook me a bit. That’s probably the only recent scary movie I’ve seen that wasn’t gory.

I also thought Teeth was scary, but for a totally different reason. ;)[/quote]

I have not seen the extended version of The Exorcist! I forgot about that! Thanks I will Netflix it along with The Teeth.

I did like Ravenous, for anyone who is looking for a different kind of movie.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I also thought Teeth was scary, but for a totally different reason. :wink:

I have not seen the extended version of The Exorcist! I forgot about that! Thanks I will Netflix it along with The Teeth.

I did like Ravenous, for anyone who is looking for a different kind of movie.

[/quote]

I should warn you though, there is some gore in Teeth. Not much though. It’s nothing like the gore in the Saw movies. I’d also have to say that this movie is much scarier for men. It’s a bit of a satire as well.

Is Ravenous the movie with Guy Pearce? I heard that was good, so I’ll have to add it to my queue.

The mist. not too gory. I used to listen to the book on tape all the time. They replicated the book exactly…except the ending, but the movie ending is actually better…just a great movie.

I don’t know if I’d call Ravenous or Dracula 2000 “scary movies”. In my opinion the scariest movie to come out in YEARS was The Ring. That movie was truly creepy, and I hear the Japanese version on which it’s based is just as scary, though I haven’t seen it.

Candyman scared me so bad when I was a little guy [9 or 10] that I was scared to go to the bathroom for months.

I 2nd Candyman that movie scared the crap outta me.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I don’t know if I’d call Ravenous or Dracula 2000 “scary movies”. In my opinion the scariest movie to come out in YEARS was The Ring. That movie was truly creepy, and I hear the Japanese version on which it’s based is just as scary, though I haven’t seen it.

Candyman scared me so bad when I was a little guy [9 or 10] that I was scared to go to the bathroom for months.[/quote]

holey moley!! the Ring scared the Beejeeeeeeezus out of me!

yes… that was scary.

come on… Ravenous was scary because crazy people are real! That makes it scary.

I haven’t seen Candyman, I will give it a try.

thank you

I was much more scared by “Candyman” than any self-respecting 16-year-old male should’ve been :stuck_out_tongue: 14 years later, I still remember it being scary without too much splatter.

Hmmm… I’ve not seen it yet, but a friend recently told me about “One Missed Call”. Based on his description, it fits the requirements of being scary sans excessive gore.

[quote]TriednTrue wrote:
I was much more scared by “Candyman” than any self-respecting 16-year-old male should’ve been :stuck_out_tongue: 14 years later, I still remember it being scary without too much splatter.

Hmmm… I’ve not seen it yet, but a friend recently told me about “One Missed Call”. Based on his description, it fits the requirements of being scary sans excessive gore.[/quote]

There was one part in One Missed Call that scared me a bit, but otherwise, I thought it was pretty dumb. It was a little too much of a Final Destination clone for me as well.

The Strangers coming out looks to be a non gory / scary movie coming out. Actually looking foward to seeing it.

The first Grudge was the scariest movie I’ve ever seen - had to take a break half way through. THat damn crakling noise freaked me out.

Alien

Aliens

The Sixth Sense

John Carpenter’s The Thing <-------scary

yah… I am with Natural Nate on the noise… same thing with The Grudge.

I am such a wussy

[quote]TriednTrue wrote:

Hmmm… I’ve not seen it yet, but a friend recently told me about “One Missed Call”. Based on his description, it fits the requirements of being scary sans excessive gore.[/quote]

Im sorry but your friend must have been on some wierd drugs to find that remotely scary. Ive been freaked out by some movies in my time, but i laughed hysterically through that entire movie. Worst piece of garbage i have ever had the displeasure of watching…and ive been forced to sit through the notebook 3 times.

The Mist was incredibly effective as a tense/creepy movie. Something about the way the ensemble cast reacted to the situation was very believable.

I thought Wolf Creek was a pretty effective horror movie as well. Barely had any gore at all, but it was believable(based on real events even) and well executed.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
The Mist was incredibly effective as a tense/creepy movie. Something about the way the ensemble cast reacted to the situation was very believable.

I thought Wolf Creek was a pretty effective horror movie as well. Barely had any gore at all, but it was believable(based on real events even) and well executed.
[/quote]

The Mist!!!

I had read the short story first but I thought they did a great job! So good, heartbreaking at the end.

Wolf Creek. . hhmmmmm scares me yes. BUT, they realy do not know what happened. Who was the bent puppy that though of all that?

The TV show Millennium has some insanely disturbing episodes.

As far as just plain scary movies, there is the Exorcist and there is everything else. That movie scared the living shit out of me.

I thought the Shining was scary.

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
The Strangers coming out looks to be a non gory / scary movie coming out. Actually looking foward to seeing it. [/quote]

I probably won’t see it in the theater, but it does look creepy to me. Something about masks really freak me out. I think it’s not being able to see their eyes.