Scars Newbie Advice on Bulking

I totally agree on the keeping it simple in the first place for newbs. I put on 40 lbs my first year of traning and the only supplement that I ever took at that time was some protein powder when it fit in the budget.

Just making sure you are getting that 30-40 grams of protein roughly every 3 hours with even half assed traning and you are bound to grow.
See Ya

Scar, Thanks for writing this. my step son is a big bugger at 18, 6’2" & 225lbs. He has a lot of potential to grow further but can’t quite get the results he’s after.

His eating habits are horrible and whilst he’s very strong and has a huge build for a lad, I’m confident that when I show him your thread, he’ll understand where he may be going wrong.

Well written, thanks for sharing.

Good stuff, but what about the fat boys? They need help too…

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
Good stuff, but what about the fat boys? They need help too…[/quote]

Bro’s Lifting Routine:
D1:
Hammer Curls
Barbell Curls
Overhand EZ Bar Curls

D2:
Bench
Incline Bench
(maybe) Tri PD’s.

Bro Diet:
Nati Ice
PBJ
Frozen Pizza/Wings

Juuust Kidding… had to poke at the bro’s. Seeing as I used to be a bro myself untill I dropped that crap. If you haven’t seen the “Bro Rape” video on youtube, check it out.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
Good stuff, but what about the fat boys? They need help too…[/quote]

I’ll leave that to the FFB’s who have the experience.

[quote]Zero_Z wrote:
Bro’s Lifting Routine:
D1:
Hammer Curls
Barbell Curls
Overhand EZ Bar Curls

D2:
Bench
Incline Bench
(maybe) Tri PD’s.

.[/quote]

Nice split!

Chest, Tri’s and Bi’s baby! Beach me up Johnny!

[quote]martin blank wrote:

mid 30’s (now) Berardi and then to this site- Actually getting to the point where I bring a cooler full of food to work every day. Squat and deadlift. Lift heavy as a I can. Make sure I’m getting lots of protein. Cut back on driking. Tracking caloric intake. 215 and rising.
[/quote]
This is exactly what has happened to me. I take a cooler to work with me, increased my food intake thanks to Berardi, and eat constantly. Finally after being stuck around 160-165 I started growing. Now I’m 175…not sure how big I can get up to but at least the scale is moving (bf is higher to but not much).

The only other thing I changed is to break my training up into phases with some down time and occasional volume work. But I’m sure the strength and weight increases are due to the food intake.

Guys at work make fun of me for bringing a huge cooler (work 24+ hours), but then again they all look like shit. :slight_smile:

[quote]medevac wrote:
martin blank wrote:

mid 30’s (now) Berardi and then to this site- Actually getting to the point where I bring a cooler full of food to work every day. Squat and deadlift. Lift heavy as a I can. Make sure I’m getting lots of protein. Cut back on driking. Tracking caloric intake. 215 and rising.

This is exactly what has happened to me. I take a cooler to work with me, increased my food intake thanks to Berardi, and eat constantly. Finally after being stuck around 160-165 I started growing. Now I’m 175…not sure how big I can get up to but at least the scale is moving (bf is higher to but not much).

The only other thing I changed is to break my training up into phases with some down time and occasional volume work. But I’m sure the strength and weight increases are due to the food intake.

Guys at work make fun of me for bringing a huge cooler (work 24+ hours), but then again they all look like shit. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

When I go back to work in the summer down in Texas, a cooler would be a pretty good idea. What kind of foods do you guys put in there? I can never think of any good foods to eat that don’t require preparation.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Blacksnake wrote:
Good stuff, but what about the fat boys? They need help too…

I’ll leave that to the FFB’s who have the experience.[/quote]

Same stuff. Fat guys need to eat right, work out right, and have the drive and self control to do it consistantly. I’ve never met someone who was obese that ate perfect and worked out.

[quote]Zero_Z wrote:
When I go back to work in the summer down in Texas, a cooler would be a pretty good idea. What kind of foods do you guys put in there? I can never think of any good foods to eat that don’t require preparation.[/quote]

Most texans take beer.

When I go to work in the summer I take cottage cheese, a shaker, whey protein, tuna sandwich, leftover vegetables from the night before. I would take fruit if I weren’t trying to lose weight.

MODS>>>PLEASE PUT THIS IN BEGINNERS.

Bumping for all the kids I am seeing lately making excuses, over analyzing and afraid to eat…eat eat eat.

And for the kids who think the lifting program must be some secret rocket science…

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Bumping for all the kids I am seeing lately making excuses, over analyzing and afraid to eat…eat eat eat.

And for the kids who think the lifting program must be some secret rocket science…[/quote]

It is super secret rocket science… O_o

Actually eating a lot has helped. I just added two shakes a day (~1000 cals total) and it’s made a big difference. People need to not be so afriad about eating so much.

My friend used to make those big family dinners (big dinner plate, ~4000 calories) and just eat one of those throughout the day along with a bag of spinach or mixed veggies. He was a pretty big dude.

How’s the progress Zero?

Bump for the newbies!

Scar: What do you think of my workout program:

First Session:

Chest:
Bench Press 3 x 10-12 reps
Flat Dumbbell Fly 3 x 10-12 reps
Bench Press Incline 3 x 6-8 reps
Incline Dumbbell Fly 3 x 6-8 reps

Triceps:
Dips 3 x max reps
Close-grip bench presses 3 x 12-15 reps
Pushdowns 3 x 12-15 reps

Second Session:

Back:
Pull-Ups/ Chin-Ups 3 x max reps
Lat Pull down 3 x 10-12 reps
Deadlifts 4 x 12 reps
Bent over Row 3 x 6-8 reps
Seated Rows 3 x 12-15 reps

Biceps:
Barbell Curl 3 x 6-8 reps
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 12-15 reps
Preacher Curl 3 x 10-12 reps

Third Session:

Shoulders:
Military Press 5 x 5 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press 4 x 6-8 reps
Lateral Raises 1 x 100 reps
Rear Delt Raises 3 x 10-12 reps
Shrugs 5 x 5 reps

Legs:
Squats 4 x 12 reps
Lunges 4 x 12 reps
Leg extensions 3 x 10-12 reps
Leg Curl 3 x 10-12 reps

Whenever I can:
*Forearms:
Wrist curls (forearms on knees) 3 x 15 reps
Reverse barbell curls 3 x 12 reps

*Abs:
Kneeling cable crunch 3 x 12-15 reps
Machine crunch 3 x 6-8 reps
Swiss ball crunch 3 x max
Serratus Crunch 3 x max

I train cardio whenever I can.

Stats:
18 years old
1 year of lifting
205 lbs

Goal:
-Functional Strength
-Becoming lean
-balance between strength and speed

[quote]Asoss wrote:
Scar: What do you think of my workout program:

First Session:

Chest:
Bench Press 3 x 10-12 reps
Flat Dumbbell Fly 3 x 10-12 reps
Bench Press Incline 3 x 6-8 reps
Incline Dumbbell Fly 3 x 6-8 reps

Triceps:
Dips 3 x max reps
Close-grip bench presses 3 x 12-15 reps
Pushdowns 3 x 12-15 reps

Second Session:

Back:
Pull-Ups/ Chin-Ups 3 x max reps
Lat Pull down 3 x 10-12 reps
Deadlifts 4 x 12 reps
Bent over Row 3 x 6-8 reps
Seated Rows 3 x 12-15 reps

Biceps:
Barbell Curl 3 x 6-8 reps
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 12-15 reps
Preacher Curl 3 x 10-12 reps

Third Session:

Shoulders:
Military Press 5 x 5 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press 4 x 6-8 reps
Lateral Raises 1 x 100 reps
Rear Delt Raises 3 x 10-12 reps
Shrugs 5 x 5 reps

Legs:
Squats 4 x 12 reps
Lunges 4 x 12 reps
Leg extensions 3 x 10-12 reps
Leg Curl 3 x 10-12 reps

Whenever I can:
*Forearms:
Wrist curls (forearms on knees) 3 x 15 reps
Reverse barbell curls 3 x 12 reps

*Abs:
Kneeling cable crunch 3 x 12-15 reps
Machine crunch 3 x 6-8 reps
Swiss ball crunch 3 x max
Serratus Crunch 3 x max

I train cardio whenever I can.

Stats:
18 years old
1 year of lifting
205 lbs

Goal:
-Functional Strength
-Becoming lean
-balance between strength and speed[/quote]

That’s WAY TOO MUCH!!! Cut all that crap in half and leave out the…oh wait…I see your goals…

Functional strength? isn’t all strength “Functional”?

Become Lean- You cenrtainly have the volume for that!

-Balance of strength/Speed??? How do you measure this and by what definition?

At 6’3" you have a lot of functional strength you can add, but it will take a bulk to do this.

Sorry I can’t help, but this thread is about Bulking and goes against the new approach of “Functional” strength. It will give you a lot of non-functional strength, and we don’t need that in your case.

My advice for leaning would be: Go light and long.

Hope this helps…???

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

I applied a few things and I blew up 30 lbs in less than 6 months, mostly muscle.

[/quote]

I just want to point out to any newbies that do read this article that these numbers are unrealistic. If you read the articles on this site about maximum muscle gain per week, you’ll find that in 6 months, putting on even 16 lbs (technically most of 30 lbs) of lean tissue is pretty tough if not impossible. I know from my weight gaining experience that sometimes it seems like more of your gain is muscle than fat until you start taking progress pics and see that you have become soft.

Between November 2006 and March 2007 I went from 145 to 170…mostly muscle…yeah right. I took some pictures and realized I was lying to myself. Gained a lot of strength, but not as much muscle as I was telling myself and others. So be realistic. Count on a max of 2 lbs/month lean tissue gain. If you are gaining a lot faster than that, count on it being fat. Good luck newbs.

[quote]erinshesse wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

I applied a few things and I blew up 30 lbs in less than 6 months, mostly muscle.

I just want to point out to any newbies that do read this article that these numbers are unrealistic. If you read the articles on this site about maximum muscle gain per week, you’ll find that in 6 months, putting on even 16 lbs (technically most of 30 lbs) of lean tissue is pretty tough if not impossible. I know from my weight gaining experience that sometimes it seems like more of your gain is muscle than fat until you start taking progress pics and see that you have become soft.

Between November 2006 and March 2007 I went from 145 to 170…mostly muscle…yeah right. I took some pictures and realized I was lying to myself. Gained a lot of strength, but not as much muscle as I was telling myself and others. So be realistic. Count on a max of 2 lbs/month lean tissue gain. If you are gaining a lot faster than that, count on it being fat. Good luck newbs. [/quote]

Newbies have a chance to gain more than 2 lbs a month. Your first 6-12 months of lifting, with the right nutrition yeilds more than 2 lbs a month. I’d say a potential for 5, and yes, some fat will come with it if you BULK and don’t pussyfoot it and overthink the whole thing.

AFTER this newbie growth spurt, THEN…you can apply your 2 lb rule. EVERY physique is different. Your experience is just one in the bucket.

Remember I was 34 when I bulked and at this age you have a tendancy to be able to put weight on more than when you are 17-21. That’s just me though.

Bump…

I have a question.

I’m a beginner, started june 1st, I’m a beginner to forums as well, meaning I had a disastrous first forum experience, got flamed to hell for deciding to cut too soon… but I got myself going and found the beginners forum.

Is it considered fast to put on 27 pounds in 3 months? Some of it is a spare tire (which my friends laugh and say, “What spare tire?”). I don’t know how to calculate bodyfat. I have never had love handles in my life. It’s embarrassing. That’s why I decided to cut.

I have tried to bodybuild in the past before, but before I had internet and knowledge, and back then it took me over a year, plus andros (which I’m not using now), to make the same gains.