Scared of bulking

alright guys, thanks alot. Its crazy, you think you know something about muscle/fitness/nutrition, and then you come on these threads and just get blown away by the knowledge and facts people have

but as far as carbs go, should i maybe increase those to like 2g/lb of bodyweight, since i’m trying to gain more size now? I’ll still do a gradual caloric increase and work up to my maintenance, but the carbs increasing is a big function of the muscle gain, correct?

[quote]cfws1992 wrote:
but as far as carbs go, should i maybe increase those to like 2g/lb of bodyweight, since i’m trying to gain more size now? I’ll still do a gradual caloric increase and work up to my maintenance, but the carbs increasing is a big function of the muscle gain, correct?[/quote]

first lets just get one thing straight. are you trying to up your calories so you can really bulk for the next 6 months or more OR are you trying to get your metabolism back to normal so you can go back to cutting?

I would put in Carbs pre workout, as well as Post workout in both shakes. I am eating some carbs pre workout, and putting 40 g Waxy Maize starch in my post shake. Putting on muscle, without any fat.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]cfws1992 wrote:
but as far as carbs go, should i maybe increase those to like 2g/lb of bodyweight, since i’m trying to gain more size now? I’ll still do a gradual caloric increase and work up to my maintenance, but the carbs increasing is a big function of the muscle gain, correct?[/quote]

first lets just get one thing straight. are you trying to up your calories so you can really bulk for the next 6 months or more OR are you trying to get your metabolism back to normal so you can go back to cutting?[/quote]

• i’m trying to #1, get my body back to normal in terms of eating at maintenance, and I hope that this increase in cals and carbs will help with more muscle gain in the process. once i eat at maintenance for a few weeks, i will then decide if a bulk/cut/maintenance stage is needed and go from there. but the big thing to understand, eating at my maintenance feels like a huge bulk for me right now, as i’m struggling to get to 2500 cals daily and 2g carbs/lb of bodyweight. doesn’t even qualify as a bulk, but as of right now it feels like i’m eating my face off

[quote]cfws1992 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]cfws1992 wrote:

first lets just get one thing straight. are you trying to up your calories so you can really bulk for the next 6 months or more OR are you trying to get your metabolism back to normal so you can go back to cutting?[/quote]

• i’m trying to #1, get my body back to normal in terms of eating at maintenance, and I hope that this increase in cals and carbs will help with more muscle gain in the process. once i eat at maintenance for a few weeks, i will then decide if a bulk/cut/maintenance stage is needed and go from there. but the big thing to understand, eating at my maintenance feels like a huge bulk for me right now, as i’m struggling to get to 2500 cals daily and 2g carbs/lb of bodyweight. doesn’t even qualify as a bulk, but as of right now it feels like i’m eating my face off[/quote]

What’s your training like?

my regular split is chest/tri’s, back/bi’s, legs, shoulders, offday, repeat

• I’ve been doing a 4-5 day split for a couple years, but switched to upper/lower body circuit training for a bit in the summer when i cut my fat.
  • pretty high intensity workouts, with heavy compound movements and supersets
  • my numbers are heading back up, but the main thing is my nutrition. I ate so picky and specifically for 5-6 months that my calories were way too low
  • for example, today, i ate roughly 2450 calories and 265 g carbs. both of those are under my supposed “maintenance requirements”, but i feel like i gained 15 pounds because I just haven’t eaten that much in so long, even though it was healthy
  • i’m really just hoping that if i keep training hard, then working my way back up to maintenance cals, (roughly 2600-2700) won’t come with too much fat gain in the process

[quote]cfws1992 wrote:

• i’m trying to #1, get my body back to normal in terms of eating at maintenance, and I hope that this increase in cals and carbs will help with more muscle gain in the process. once i eat at maintenance for a few weeks, i will then decide if a bulk/cut/maintenance stage is needed and go from there. but the big thing to understand, eating at my maintenance feels like a huge bulk for me right now, as i’m struggling to get to 2500 cals daily and 2g carbs/lb of bodyweight. doesn’t even qualify as a bulk, but as of right now it feels like i’m eating my face off[/quote]

depending on the person, 2g carbs/lb can be a bit much… i wouldnt add in that many carbs too fast - how many were you at before?

IF you dont really do well with a lot of carbs. try keeping them per,during, post workout and at breakfast. doing that can help minimize fat gain.

the last couple months i’ve been doing carbs pre (breakfast), post, and then once more after post. i was usually getting my bodyweight in carbs, about 175 g carbs. the problem is, if i don’t increase my carb intake to like 2 g/lb, which i’m fine with doing (just hope it doesnt bring fat), then i won’t be able to up my calories enough to start getting to maintenance cals

[quote]cfws1992 wrote:
the last couple months i’ve been doing carbs pre (breakfast), post, and then once more after post. i was usually getting my bodyweight in carbs, about 175 g carbs. the problem is, if i don’t increase my carb intake to like 2 g/lb, which i’m fine with doing (just hope it doesnt bring fat), then i won’t be able to up my calories enough to start getting to maintenance cals[/quote]

are you allergic to fats?

no, I eat like 60-70 grams per day, and get my bodyweight in protein

you can increase your protien as well no harm in that

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
you can increase your protien as well no harm in that[/quote]

yeah. why not go to say 1.5g protein per lb body weight.

I really can’t believe X hasn’t come in on this thread yet.

You got confident going lean… what about you use this confidence to do what you want to do ?

You wont go all fatty overnight, so increase your prot/fat and a little or not at all carbs.

My Opinion of what your calories should look like:

LBM x 1.5 = Protein
LBM x 1 = Carbs
LBM x .5 = Fats

^^This should be your maintenance level.

This will come out to be around 3000 calories depending on your Lean Body Mass. Eating 3000 calories is VERY EASY if you stack your carbs around your workout and get in the required fat each day. At an estimated 100 grams of fat for a guy your size that would be 900 calories. Do not fear fat, it is your friend and it tastes delicious!

Once you are eating that amount of calories in that ratio you could toy around with adding in an extra 300 calories per day and do a bulk, as you said.