Scared a Quad Injection

A friend told me that a buddy of his injected it into his quad, and it turned black and stayed like that for a while!.. Don’t know what happened or how to explain it, but now i am paranoid about doing a quad injection.

Does anyone know how that could happen to a leg? Maybe hit a nerve or blood vessel?

Quad shots hurt for me way more than other spots, but I’ve never had any problems with them. Just be sure to aspirate.

[quote]GannadoX wrote:
A friend told me that a buddy of his injected it into his quad, and it turned black and stayed like that for a while!.. Don’t know what happened or how to explain it, but now i am paranoid about doing a quad injection.

Does anyone know how that could happen to a leg? Maybe hit a nerve or blood vessel?[/quote]

Is he injecting with a big needle and in the wrong spot?

It just sounds like a bad bruise, which would mean he damaged a bigger vessel (which would occur if you inject into the upper 1/3 of the quad and right in the middle of it).

Your best bet is to inject in the middle 1/3 and off to the outer side. Quad injections are the easiest ones to do solo, so get used to it.

If quads are a problem, have you tried the VG site?

Like nickels quads are most painful for me. There is no question its an easy site to utilize though. The black bruise is likely caused by hitting a vein. Most people with 15% or less bodyfat should be able to see their leg veins pretty well so hitting a vein should not be a concern. One thing I did find was most people are too low. I agrewith JoeyD20 to be off to the outer side but to say middle thing implies half way between knee and hips and most people end up going too low. I tell people think 3/5th of 2/3rd of the way up the vastus lateralis.
This shows IMO the best spot for a quad shot: http://www.netsvic.org.au/nets/handbook/media/im_injection1.gif
As you see clearly more than half way up.
Having said all that. Plenty of other sites to choose from if needed. My fav is the VG

I used to do glute shots but found i’d get bad leakage at the site regardless of depth or Z track method. Switched to quad shots. More painfull but really helped with leakage. You will find with your quads though that the incidence of bruising from hitting a blood vessel goes up, and it will hurt a bit more. Make sure to abide by proper protocol i.e aspirate and you should be fine. I found 25’s were better for quad shots too. Not as long and don’t hurt as much.

If you are lean enough you can actually hit the quads with a slin pin and the pain is nil. You are limited by 1ml of volume then though

I use 25GA x 5/8" long for quads with no pain. However, my favorite site by far is the VG.