Scales

I want to buy a scale that measures bf% as well as weight. I was looking around and I’ve seen a shitload of different ones from $40 to $140 and I was wondering if anyone had a preference or suggestion.

I know they’re not 100% accurate but I just want a decent gauge. Thanks

I think you’d be wasting your money. I don’t think any of them are a good gauge. Certainly don’t buy the Tanita. It can’t even differentiate between fat and fat free mass. If you wake up dehydrated and get your bodyfat and then quickly drink a few cups of water, you’ll see your bodyfat % on the Tanita go UP!

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=836442

Damn, we didn’t even get two months out before this question was asked again.

Those scales work by measuring the resistance across your body (much like in a circuit). Since muscle conducts electricity and fat is more of a resistor, then it is theoretically able to calculate your fat percentage. However, as the last person stated, if you drank some water the measurement would change. This is because water is highly conductive. Therefore, you’re probably never going to get an accurate measurement with one of these scales.

I used search but didn’t find that article so my bad. Could someone suggest some quality calipers if the scale is inaccurate, this is mostly for my mom and she doesn’t lift but I’d like to be able to use it as well ;).

I agree with all the above negative comments. I spent some good money on a decent scale back in the day (luckily, on eBay), but the numbers were never great. I eventually sold it when I left the country and now I own one of the cheapest Tanitas. This one doesn’t even come close to giving me accurate BF% results, but all I want now is my weight.

To estimate my body fat I use the neck-to-waist ratio plugged into the army formula. Not that precise, either, but at least the number doesn’t change if I drink a glass of water or go to the toilet :slight_smile:

[quote]pitbull11188 wrote:
I used search but didn’t find that article so my bad.[/quote]

Type “Tanita Scale” in the search engine and watch as the world opens up for you.

[quote]csuson wrote:
Those scales work by measuring the resistance across your body (much like in a circuit). Since muscle conducts electricity and fat is more of a resistor, then it is theoretically able to calculate your fat percentage. However, as the last person stated, if you drank some water the measurement would change. This is because water is highly conductive. Therefore, you’re probably never going to get an accurate measurement with one of these scales. [/quote]

Also, even when set on athlete mode, those scales tend to grossly overestimate bodyfat. The difference between them and accurate professional methods is astounding. See link posted above-this topic’s been discussed at length.

Let me first say - I’m not looking for a bf scale, I know they’re bs for the most part - My Taylor digital scale seems to weigh only specific weights, or my body is excellent at maintaining highly specific weights. Seems like I’m 219.8 or 221.5 a whole lot. It loves those weights. Literally it’s all I see. I would like some recommendations on a scale that would actually tell me I’ve lost a pound or so after a good piss - instead of mysteriously staying at the same exact weight as before.

I’m even considering just going to an analog scale again, I just can’t trust the one I have to give me an actual weight. Anybody have any good, inexpensive digital scales that give you an actual weight instead of parroting the same weights over & over again?

I have a set and they are completely wrong with bodyfat measurements. Wouldn’t worry about getting them!

Cheapest and most effective body fat analyzer out there, complete with optical readouts and full body analysis, the mirror, you stand in front of it naked and go hmmmm, do i look fatter or leaner this week? take some pictures for comparison.