SBU Bench Press Comp

Well, thanks a lot yarbo. BTW, what’s a triple? I probably have heard of it or seen it before, but you’re calling it something else.

3/27/2007:
DAY A
BP- Warm up- 165x14, the first few were with pauses just to get the motion down. According to Yarbo, I should have started at about 115.
175x9
185x4
195x4
I usually do the first half of the set with the appropriate pauses, just to adapt myself to the motion
DB BP- 65 lbs. 4x7
Bent Over Rows- 175 lbs. 4x9
Rear Delt Flyes- 20 lbs. 3x13
Weighted Ab.- Crunches with a 45lb. DB 3x8

The gym had all the all-time-records. The one for my weight class was 300 lbs. …from 2006. You see, my thinking is, all the scrawny wife-beater wearing folk are going to be in the lower weight classes, or not enter at all, and all the football player/wrestler types will be in the higher ones.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:

The gym had all the all-time-records. The one for my weight class was 300 lbs. …from 2006. You see, my thinking is, all the scrawny wife-beater wearing folk are going to be in the lower weight classes, or not enter at all, and all the football player/wrestler types will be in the higher ones.

[/quote]

You’d be thinking wrong then, cause the 198 class is usually one of the toughest.

I guess more appropriately, my thinking WAS.

I have a hard time believing that for the 198lb class 300lbs bench is the gym record?

My advice for you is find a training partner that is much stronger than you are. This will help motivate you to attempt higher poundages. This should also help you overcome the psychological aspect of breaking through your 1RM.

If you feet are moving about when you bench, you need to seriously look at your benching form. At no point should your feet move during a press. Take a look at some of the benching articles on this site and evaluate your arch and body placement. Those are two factors that can help your bench tremendously.

Lastly, train the tri’s… train them heavy and hard.

This is just my opinion, but you seem to be a little short on time to be implementing the WS program.

[quote]one2njoy wrote:
I have a hard time believing that for the 198lb class 300lbs bench is the gym record?

My advice for you is find a training partner that is much stronger than you are. This will help motivate you to attempt higher poundages. This should also help you overcome the psychological aspect of breaking through your 1RM.

If you feet are moving about when you bench, you need to seriously look at your benching form. At no point should your feet move during a press. Take a look at some of the benching articles on this site and evaluate your arch and body placement. Those are two factors that can help your bench tremendously.

Lastly, train the tri’s… train them heavy and hard.

This is just my opinion, but you seem to be a little short on time to be implementing the WS program.

[/quote]

1. the 170-197 class has the 300lb record.
  2. My feet don’t move, so I’m good on form, I just need to get the weight up.
  3. Tris, eh? I’ll do that. Thanks.

If you have a month to train, I personally found this to be the best for me, West side works well but I bumped my bench a lot with these two workouts.

Flat Barbell Bench: 8-10 sets of 3 reps
The weight should be heavy, but not to heavy where you are going to failure on set 5. Avoid going to failure throughout the entire sets. I like to alternate each set, the first set I perform with a 1-2 second pause, and the second set I try to do very quickly. You should be able to add 5-10 lbs. on each workout.

Flat Barbell Bench: 10 sets of 1 rep
Start out with a weight you feel comfortable getting 3-5 reps with(you will probably need to adjust it) for the first workout perform 10 sets with 60 seconds in between each set, the 2nd workout rest 30 seconds in between each set, and the 3rd workout rest 15 seconds in between each set. I used the same weight for the 1st three workouts until I was able to do it with only 15 seconds between each rep. (When I say each rep I mean do 1 rep, rack the bar wait however long and repeat) Once you get to that point you should have no problem adding 5-10 lbs. on each workout. Again you may want to alternate between a fast rep and a paused rep, if your training for a competition at least do half of them paused.

Make sure you warm up properly with some arm circles with a light weight, and I like to do 135 after I do the bench workout for 12 reps as quickly as possible, your speed should noticeably increase for this as well.
Those two workouts can be performed twice a week if you are fully repaired (usually 3-4 days between each one)
In response to working your bench, with every workout you choose, I would do something like this…

Flat Bench
Bent Over Rows
Should Press or Clean and Press
Shrugs
Bis
Tris
Since your benching a lot I would also do some form of exercise for your rotary cuff as well.
And make sure to stick with one of the following exercises until you stop making gains, then switch to the other one.

I’ve been training with workouts like that for the past 6 months, changing it up when I feel my body stops gaining from it. I’m a freshman at HOFSTRA and currently I weigh 170 and moved my bench from 275 at a 155 body weight to 345 (raw) at a 170 body weight. So I’m proof those workouts work.

I would also recommend reading this post. http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_115b600

I would also recommend reading this post.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_115b600

as for the 300lbs…I meant it looked low for that weight class.

[quote]one2njoy wrote:
as for the 300lbs…I meant it looked low for that weight class.[/quote]

You said the 198-2xomething. I’m in the 170-197. The weight class for the 198+ group is 315

What time of day is the comp? I will be in NYC on the 26th. Will this be at the main campus? Can non-SBU students enter, or is it SBU students only?

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
What time of day is the comp? I will be in NYC on the 26th. Will this be at the main campus? Can non-SBU students enter, or is it SBU students only?[/quote]

The comp is at 7PM I believe. I think only SBU people can enter.

Bad News though: Saturday is Spring Break’s beginning, so now good/fancy gym for a week. All I’ll have is a crappy weight bench, with crappy weights. By Bad I meant bad for the comp, not bad overall. Free food and laundry FTW.

So any suggestions on how to boost my bench with the equipment I have will be welcome.

Only Suggestion I have to you is this:

TIGER UPPERCUT

Go get em.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Only Suggestion I have to you is this:

TIGER UPPERCUT

Go get em.[/quote]

lol

I don’t have me journal on me (Spring Break and all), but I did manage to find a pretty good gym that had a free week pass. So I repeated Workout A again and this is my result:
Close Grip- 145x10 175x6 185x5
DB Bench Press- 60x10,8,8,8
Chin Ups- 4x8 reps
Bent Over Rear Delt Flyes- 25 lbs.x12 reps
Weighted Ab- Um… They had a bunch of machines and stuff there. I wasn’t really recording those.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:
My school, Stony Brook University, is having a Bench Press competition April 26th (registration due 25th), and I’m thinking of entering.

I’m 188, so I’ll be competing in the 170-198 category. My current max is 225 lbs.

The rules are US Powerlifting Federation rules.

So, any recommendations?

I’ve been training with good form (I can do 195 for a few reps before my feet start to go awry), so the “press” and “rack” commands are of minimal concern.[/quote]

Your comp is relatively too close to really emphasize much now, but your last heavy lift should be about 10 days out. accessory work can continue up to 2-3 days out, just watch your volume. keep total sets to less than 9, stick in a hypertrophy (8-12 rep) range and leave gas in the tank. Do not touch a weight two days out. No BP movements less than 7 days out. Warm-up easily, no need to blow your load before you step on the plat form. Take your first lift at your Triple, then go after your max or just below on your second lift. If you get a third, go for something. And have fun. If you get into it check out Elitefts.com and the West-side barbell site, they’ll lead you in the right direction. Good luck.

[quote]Rome34 wrote:

Your comp is relatively too close to really emphasize much now, but your last heavy lift should be about 10 days out. accessory work can continue up to 2-3 days out, just watch your volume. keep total sets to less than 9, stick in a hypertrophy (8-12 rep) range and leave gas in the tank. Do not touch a weight two days out. No BP movements less than 7 days out. Warm-up easily, no need to blow your load before you step on the plat form. Take your first lift at your Triple, then go after your max or just below on your second lift. If you get a third, go for something. And have fun. If you get into it check out Elitefts.com and the West-side barbell site, they’ll lead you in the right direction. Good luck.
[/quote]

YES!

UPDATE!

My Max increased 5 lbs., possibly more. I couldn’t…quite…get…235… However, I also gained 5 lbs. of weight

So I’m at 230. Still fucked, but since I breathed with the stomach I was able to hit it better.

WORKOUT B- Friday
Front Squats- 155 was my 5 rep weight
BB Lunges- 3 sets of 8 at 125
RDLs- 225 for 10 reps, 275 for 6 reps (2 sets)
Grip Exercise: The wheel on a stick thing

WORKOUT C- An hour ago
Dynamic Effort BP- 155x9 setsx3 reps
Hit max of 230
BB Skull Crushers (with an EZ Bar) 80 for 10 reps, 90x4 setsx6 reps
Chin ups- No weight added. 1st 2 sets I did 8 reps, last two I did 10.
DB Shoulder Press-35x3 setsx10 reps

Max is at 230, competition’s tomorrow, just gotta make sure I’m in the 170-197 weight class and I’m good to go. I’m gonna get my ASS kicked, but I’ll be sure to TIGER UPPERCUT the weight tomorrow. Thanks for any and all advice. My last workout was yesterday, worked on legs and triceps.

Good luck!

[quote]Diablo9845 wrote:
Good luck![/quote]

Thanks, the record is 300 :frowning:

Anyone have any nutritional advice?

[quote]DtotheG wrote:
Max is at 230, competition’s tomorrow, just gotta make sure I’m in the 170-197 weight class and I’m good to go. I’m gonna get my ASS kicked, but I’ll be sure to TIGER UPPERCUT the weight tomorrow. Thanks for any and all advice. My last workout was yesterday, worked on legs and triceps. [/quote]

Not only do you have to Tiger Uppercut them, you have to

TIGER GENOICIDE!!!