SBU Bench Press Comp

My school, Stony Brook University, is having a Bench Press competition April 26th (registration due 25th), and I’m thinking of entering.

I’m 188, so I’ll be competing in the 170-198 category. My current max is 225 lbs.

The rules are US Powerlifting Federation rules.

So, any recommendations?

I’ve been training with good form (I can do 195 for a few reps before my feet start to go awry), so the “press” and “rack” commands are of minimal concern.

I’m entering so I have something specific to train towards. I have GENERAL goals (increased size+strength, proficiency in MMA), but this Bench Press comp will give me a chance to prove myself against others.

Although there might only be 1 or 2 people I have to worry about, every bencher about my size does the feet in the air dance.

The other day I was working in with another student (I was doing Close Grip BP 155, he was doing standard 195), and he could do maybe ONE good rep. The rest I had to help him with. When he was really struggling, I spotted him, and tried to rack the weight up, but he resisted and kept going on. Then the dumbass ADDED MORE WEIGHT (because he was “trying to put more meat on him”), and it was just me practically shrugging the bar up for him. I referred him to T-Nation, hopefully he’ll come back less stupid. I doubt it.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
DtotheG wrote:
I’m entering so I have something specific to train toward.

That’s a great idea. I’ve found that I always make more progress when I have a “mission” of some sort. A good reason to get to the Gym and hit the weights.

Great idea, and good luck!
[/quote]

Well, thanks for your encouragement. But the point of this was to ask for help. I’ll see where I stand today, as it’s the chest/back day of the “Shut Up And Lift” program. I predict one of three things:

1. 225 I can only do once, establishing it as my max to imcrease.
  2. I do the 225 with shitty form.
  3. I can do 225 for more than one rep, meaning I gained some strength.

As for the contest:

1. It’s a good meet, and I fall somewhere in the middle.
  2. I’m in the same weight class as all the scrawny orientals, the bench-only-but with shitty form and the wife-beater guido pussies and I kinda win by default, as all the pros/football/wrestlers are in the next highest division.
  3. I’m fucked, as I’m either in a tough class or my form isn’t good enough because of my arm length.

So any recommendations or programs are encouraged.

How is your arch, oh and start training pauses, I find 3 week training with pauses I can do my 1rm with a pause. This may be different for you but try to work that pause and arch.

[quote]John S. wrote:
How is your arch, oh and start training pauses, I find 3 week training with pauses I can do my 1rm with a pause. This may be different for you but try to work that pause and arch.[/quote]

You do have to pause before you begin pressing and racking.

Bad News: I couldn’t hit 225 on Saturday. I was, however, able to pull off 185 for 4 to 6 reps with the pauses included, feet 100% on the floor.

I would do a pure WestSide program till the comp if I were you.

But yeah you’re in pretty good shape. Most college kids, hell, most lifters, care too much about ego to lift with proper form

btw I trained at the gym in your university for a summer. It was pretty decent from what I remember.
One day I met some huge guy there who kept talking up Flex magazine, I don’t know what he was doing there, he definitely wasn’t a student, and I don’t think he was a PT either

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
I would do a pure WestSide program till the comp if I were you.

But yeah you’re in pretty good shape. Most college kids, hell, most lifters, care too much about ego to lift with proper form

btw I trained at the gym in your university for a summer. It was pretty decent from what I remember.
One day I met some huge guy there who kept talking up Flex magazine, I don’t know what he was doing there, he definitely wasn’t a student, and I don’t think he was a PT either
[/quote]

Westside, eh? Thanks! I’ll try that.

I’m assuming you went to the SAC Gym? Yeah, while the residence gyms are convenient, there are no free weights, save for the dumbbells. Other than that, yeah, it’s pretty neat, except that there are only two power cages, which are the only place to squat, deadlift and bench.

Also, could you give me a direct link to the Westside program? Or is it more of philosophy (guidelines) rather than an outlined program?

So, from what I gathered from WS4SB, this is what I should do via Westside:

What loads would I use?

TUESDAY
Bench Press- Work up to a set of 3-5 reps
DB Bench Press- 3-4 sets of 6-10
Bent Over Rows- 4 sets of 10-15
Bent Over Rear Delt Flyes- 2-3 sets of 12-15
Weighted Ab Exercise- 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps

THURSDAY
Front Squats- Work up to a set of 5 reps
Barbell Lunges- 3-4x8-15
Romanian DL- 3-4x6-10
Grip exercise- 3 sets

SATURDAY
Bench Press- 3 sets of (max reps on 95lbs., 135lbs., 185lbs. or 225lbs.) (How would I do this?)
BB Skull Crushers- 3-4x5-10
Chinups- 4x8-12
DB Shoulder Press- 3x10-15
Barbell Curls- 3x8-10
Ab Circuit

Any suggestions?

If you weigh 188 and you will be competing in the 170-198 group, why not gain 10 lbs? That alone should increase your lifts some.

[quote]Dorso wrote:
If you weigh 188 and you will be competing in the 170-198 group, why not gain 10 lbs? That alone should increase your lifts some. [/quote]

lol, you make it sound ridiculously easy. I meant other than that. I will still try to gain size, but how does my Westside-based routine look?

If you’re only doing a bench meet at the end of april, drop the squat day and concentrate on bench training only.

[quote]DtotheG wrote:
TUESDAY
Bench Press- Work up to a set of 3-5 reps
[/quote]

You don’t want to max out every week on the bench press before a bench press competition. I’d do floor press for a week, close grip for a week, then incline for a week (or board presses if you have access). Remember that after 3 weeks at over 90% of your 1rm on the same movement you’ll stall. I’d go for a 1 or 3rm for all of those. Just start at 50% (after a warmup) and keep adding 5-10% until you’re maxed. Use a thick bar if you have access 1 or 2 weeks.

Other people suggested that you drop this day, but the squats should be good because they’ll cause more GH and testosterone release. The grip exercise will also help you squeeze the crap out of the bar when you bench.

I would do a dynamic effort (DE) workout instead of a rep day. Do 9 sets of 3 w/ 50-60% of your max. Push as hard as you can. Even if you’re pushing on 135 and you think you’re good for 225, try to get the bar moving as fast as possible. If you haven’t done this before, I’d do 50% week 1, 55% week 2 and 60% week 3. This is also a good day for working on technique. Make sure you stay tight and you push the bar straight up. Don’t pause these. If the bar speed remained fast, do a triple w/ 75% of your max.

I hope the accessory and supplemental movements are things you haven’t tried in a while. (other than the DE work) If they’re already a part of your routine, find a substitute. If you know you have any weaknesses, put a little more work on them, and take a little away from something you’re already strong at.

I got no tips except:

Tiger Uppercut that fuckin barbell.

Imagine that’s Ryu your pressing.

That scar on your chest will burn until you defeat Ryu.

While you’re lifting, just scream out: Tiger!!!

TIGER UPPERCUT!!

And at the competition, put on an eye patch, wear nothing but boxing trunks and wrap your ankles and hands. Shave your head.

And after each lift, cross your arms and laugh.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
I got no tips except:

TIGER UPPERCUT!!

And at the competition, put on an eye patch, wear nothing but boxing trunks and wrap your ankles and hands. Shave your head.

And after each lift, cross your arms and laugh.[/quote]

It’s a tie between you and yarbo for most helpful:
Yarbo- Gave me advice on a good workout, improved on what I had suggested, and gave the mechanics behind it (but no loading parameters i.e. %1RM)

You- If I took your advice, I’d scare the shit out of my competition, making me win by default in the most awesome way possible. (I have some MMA shorts (I don’t know the name) that look like Sagat’s…

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
I got no tips except:

TIGER UPPERCUT!!

And after each lift, cross your arms and laugh.[/quote]

It’s a tie between you and yarbo for most helpful:
Yarbo- Gave me advice on a good workout, improved on what I had suggested, and gave the mechanics behind it (but no loading parameters i.e. %1RM)

You- If I took your advice, I’d scare the shit out of my competition, making me win by default in the most awesome way possible. (I have some MMA shorts (I don’t know the name) that look like Sagat’s…

Good luck.

A strict paused BP is A LOT harder then reps that aren’t paused. Most drop the bar on to their chests and get a nice bounce. That makes it A LOT easier to do.

The WS program will jack up your BP to no end.

Koing

When you do the ME workouts, work up to a 1,3 or 5rm on that exercise. I can’t tell you your 1rm on the floor press, board presses, close grip bench, incline. You’re just going to have to work your way up and find out. Jim Wendler once said that people generally hit 90-95% of their bench press on the floor press. 105% on a 2 board, and 110% on a 3 board, but those are just guidelines, everyone has a different strength curve.

To work up, warm up, then start at 50% of what you think you’ll hit. Do triples until they get a little tough (don’t worry about finding a 3rm though), then switch to singles. Add about 10% each time. Don’t worry about missing a lift. Just add more and more until you hit your max.

You’ll know it’s your max if you either miss a heavier lift or the bar moves really slowly and you’re convinced you couldn’t add 5 more pounds. I started out working up to a 3rm, but switched to working up to a 1rm most of the time. If you do work up to your 1rm, do another rep or two at 90%.

Don’t pump yourself up for these training maxes, save it for the competition.

I gave you percentages for the DE day. So that should be easy to follow, just warmup first.