T Nation

Saying 'Yeeesss' to Answer the Phone?

Here’s the quick background of this story. I have a 14 month old baby who I share custody of with his mother. We have our differences but for the most we get along. Although as far as I’m concerned she is a control freak with self esteem issues. Hence some of the reasons we are no longer a couple .Its not the best of relationships but it could be worse.
We’ll periodically check in with each other just to see how our son’s day was. So this morning she calls and we have our usually 3 minute conversation about how he slept the night before,how did he eat etc etc. She called back 20 minutes later and I answered

“Yeeesssss?” in very light ,half-jokingly manner

Her: Pardon me? in very stern pissed off manner

Me: Uh I said “yeeeesssss” . Do you have a problem with that.

Her : Paraphrasing Yes I have a problem .You have no manners squak squak squak

Me: Well I’ve done that a thousand other times and know a thousand other people that do the same thing and nobody else takes issue with it. So maybe it says more about you then anyone else. If thats the sort of thing that sets you off then you have issues.

Her: I don’t want to talk to you now.

Me : Fine .Have a nice day.

Does anyone else here occasionally answer the phone that way or am I out of my mind? I asked a couple of people at work and they all agreed with me. I’m not looking for everyone to agree with me but maybe shed some light on the situation.

I do it to clients on occasion, and I’ve never nailed any of them. It happens to me too.

She’s just being full of shit, you obviously can’t do anything right in her eyes.

Um…that sounds a bit odd…but if something stupid like that ticks her off, it guarantees one thing; she’s a woman. Get used to it, most of them are like timebombs. Hence my being single.

[quote]Ridiculous wrote:
Here’s the quick background of this story. I have a 14 month old baby who I share custody of with his mother. We have our differences but for the most we get along. Although as far as I’m concerned she is a control freak with self esteem issues. Hence some of the reasons we are no longer a couple .Its not the best of relationships but it could be worse.
We’ll periodically check in with each other just to see how our son’s day was. So this morning she calls and we have our usually 3 minute conversation about how he slept the night before,how did he eat etc etc. She called back 20 minutes later and I answered

“Yeeesssss?” in very light ,half-jokingly manner

Her: Pardon me? in very stern pissed off manner

Me: Uh I said “yeeeesssss” . Do you have a problem with that.

Her : Paraphrasing Yes I have a problem .You have no manners squak squak squak

Me: Well I’ve done that a thousand other times and know a thousand other people that do the same thing and nobody else takes issue with it. So maybe it says more about you then anyone else. If thats the sort of thing that sets you off then you have issues.

Her: I don’t want to talk to you now.

Me : Fine .Have a nice day.

Does anyone else here occasionally answer the phone that way or am I out of my mind? I asked a couple of people at work and they all agreed with me. I’m not looking for everyone to agree with me but maybe shed some light on the situation.

[/quote]

Dude, that’s just average pissed-off-woman attitude. It NEVER means that the object being fought over actually matters. It is ALWAYS some issue that you aren’t even aware of that they are getting pissed off at because you aren’t reading their minds and psychically discovering that the whole reason she called was because you left your socks on the floor in the living room 5 years ago and she had to pick them up.

Clearly, you need to be broken into submission. Your life has no discipline or direction. Oh, the shame…

Haha, on a more serious note, if everything is as you said it is, she was probably just being bitchy.

I answer the phone:

-By coughing really loudly

-“What the hell do you want?”

-“WHAT???”

-“Eeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy whaaaaaaats up…”

-“Ghegghghehehg”

I suggest that when she calls you start answering in different languages. Or do the coughing thing ala Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets.

[quote]NateOrade wrote:
“Ghegghghehehg” [/quote]

Is this supposed to be the quagmire thing from family guy, or some kind of weird mumbling?

[quote]ab_power wrote:
NateOrade wrote:
“Ghegghghehehg”

Is this supposed to be the quagmire thing from family guy, or some kind of weird mumbling?

[/quote]

Weird mumbling.

Did you say it like this? …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL9PSnHRs7g

go to 5:39 in the video

“…that’s just average pissed-off-woman attitude.”

“…most of them (women) are like timebombs…”

It’s too early in the day for misogyny.

I’ll get back to the kitchen and make you a sandwich.

[quote]Christine wrote:

I’ll get back to the kitchen and make you a sandwich.[/quote]

Right. Like women don’t make generalizations about men.

Excuse me while I laugh my ass off and then glue it back on.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Christine wrote:

Excuse me while I laugh my ass off and then glue it back on.[/quote]

That makes it acceptable?

Sexist generalizations are okay, but racially based ones are not?

[quote]
Sexist generalizations are okay, but racially based ones are not?[/quote]

Thanks for the soon to be complete derailing of this thread. And yet another 40 page ‘The difference between race and sex generalizations’ debate.

People are so sensitive…especially woman (scroll up for evidence)

[quote]Christine wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Christine wrote:

Excuse me while I laugh my ass off and then glue it back on.

That makes it acceptable?

Sexist generalizations are okay, but racially based ones are not?[/quote]

“All women are neurotic; all men are assholes” - Kurt Vonnegut

Now cut it the fuck out.

Back on topic…

Do you have caller id? Did you know it was her? I’ll answer it this way if I know the person calling…if not I’ll usually not answer or just say ‘hello’.

Either way…I’d suggest you quit calling her throughout the day to check on him and suggest she do the same. If she doesn’t quit calling, don’t answer when she calls.

I don’t know your 100% situation, but it sounds like you’re trying to make a life with your son and so is his mother. Doesn’t sound like you and his mother are going to be making a life with each other. It would piss me off if I had my son’s mother calling me every couple of hours to see how he was doing. Maybe you two just call once per day, but that’s overdoing it in my opinion also…

[quote]HERO wrote:

Sexist generalizations are okay, but racially based ones are not?

Thanks for the soon to be complete derailing of this thread. And yet another 40 page ‘The difference between race and sex generalizations’ debate.

People are so sensitive…especially woman (scroll up for evidence)
[/quote]

HA!

I think some of the guys on this site can be overly sensitive. Especially those with body fat greater than 10%.

Fatasses.

While I think she overreacted, answering the phone with a long, drawn out “yes” is pretty stupid, in my opinion.

On the topic of sex vs race generalizations…Race doesn’t have a significant impact on the person’s personality (environment will, but not just the fact that they are a certain race); sex does. So while I still love jokes about both topics, the only one that actually holds water imo is sex generalizations. I know too many women to say otherwise.

Some women just look for people to get in a fight with. Some guys do the same thing. Just tell them to shut the fuck up and leave it at that.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Some women just look for people to get in a fight with. Some guys do the same thing. Just tell them to shut the fuck up and leave it at that.[/quote]

Yep…it was a disconnect (you being funny, her not being in the mood) that made her get bitchy (and for the ladies here, guys can get ‘dicky’ too).

But when I read the thread title I thought it was going to be about a gay dude answering a call you made, so I guess that gives my opinion on that means of answering your phone.

:wink: