Saying 'Good Morning' to People

[quote]Court wrote:
Unless people are in your group or you have worked with them in the past, they usually just look down/away from you when they walk by.[/quote]

Sorry sweetie, that only happens to you.

[quote]OutOfControl wrote:
the T is entirely too high in this thread.

Just do the ole’ smile and nodd, thats it.

And polo, what happens when u run out of stop signs? I pray there are no babies around to punch in the face.[/quote]

what a coincidence … i pray there ARE babies to punch in the face … huh, small world

[quote]imhungry wrote:

Monty Python FTW!?!?

[/quote]

Monty Python FTW it is!

Fucking love those guys…

/hijack.

I sometimes say it to certain people who I know it pisses off in an exagerated happy tone. Otherwise I just nod my head and say morning.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Court wrote:
Unless people are in your group or you have worked with them in the past, they usually just look down/away from you when they walk by.

Sorry sweetie, that only happens to you. [/quote]

Bitch.

Maybe it has something to do with the permanent scowl on my face? My team seems to like me though… they smile at me a lot. However maybe it has to do with the fact they all know I’m moving in 6 months to another coast and another country… hmmmmm

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:
You could always just fart in their general direction.

They’ll stop saying hello to you all together.

Monty Python FTW!?!?

What I hate, is when i’m walking past someone, we make eye contact, but when I say “hi”, or “how are you” I get NOTHING.

It’s just ignorant.

Just acknowledge these people. It’s not hard.[/quote]

This really aggravates me … I’ve been known to respond to this by answering as if they had said something … Like “Good to hear” … loud enough to make em feel like the jerks they are … Doesn’t ever solve the problem though

[quote]imhungry wrote:

What I hate, is when i’m walking past someone, we make eye contact, but when I say “hi”, or “how are you” I get NOTHING.

It’s just ignorant.

Just acknowledge these people. It’s not hard.[/quote]

I know what you’re talking about.
But does it really bother you that much?
And if so, why?

Concerning the perfunctory “good morning” greeting business: a nod can do the job as well. Or a smile. Or just plain nothing. It depends on your general mood and the setting, I guess.

[quote]Court wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
Court wrote:
Unless people are in your group or you have worked with them in the past, they usually just look down/away from you when they walk by.

Bitch.

However maybe it has to do with the fact they all know I’m moving in 6 months to another coast and another country… hmmmmm[/quote]

This would be the correct answer, without a doubt.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
imhungry wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:
You could always just fart in their general direction.

They’ll stop saying hello to you all together.

Monty Python FTW!?!?

It’s just ignorant.

Just acknowledge these people. It’s not hard.

This really aggravates me … I’ve been known to respond to this by answering as if they had said something … Like “Good to hear” … loud enough to make em feel like the jerks they are … Doesn’t ever solve the problem though[/quote]

I’d really appreciate a gold starndard that everybody says and the same tone. Because I hate trying to figure out what to say to who, and who I have to remember said or not said it the day, week, month or decade b4.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Court wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
Court wrote:

Bitch.

However maybe it has to do with the fact they all know I’m moving in 6 months to another coast and another country… hmmmmm

This would be the correct answer, without a doubt.[/quote]

Wrong. They like her because she wears blouses that accidentally come unbuttoned over the bust at inconvenient times.

Skank.

I can’t stand the good mornings too. With people I work with it’s “hello”, “hi”, “sup”, or some groan of acknowledgement. I don’t have the energy in the morning for more than 2 syllables.

I don’t like it when random people hold the door open for me either, especially if I’m far away from the door. It feels like since they’re “being polite” I have to go at a faster pace out of gratitude. Screw that, I go slower and make them wait.

The OP is dead right, man. The world would be a wonderful place if people completely ignored one another at all times, never acknowleged that anyone else is even alive…and no greetings! EVER! You host a party. People show up. Just open the door and stare past them.

They know what to do, right? Come on in and take a seat! Dumbasses! And shit! What if you bump into your brother at the store! Fuck him if he thinks you’ve got the time to say something like, “How you doin’, bro?”

Fuck that. It’s just dumb! Maybe if we try not to speak for a few million years or so, our vocal chords will atrophy and we’ll be a race of mutes!? That’d be awesome! No more ‘morning!’ bullshit to deal with. No more ‘how ya doin’!?'. Shitty, asshole! I’ll be better in 11 million years when you can’t even fucking TALK, fuck-o!

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Every day, everybody wishes each other a good morning. That’s the way it goes at work, at every job I’ve ever been at. Honestly though, it annoys the hell out of me. It’s like this bullshit I’m being polite because I have to shtick. Know what I hate? Saying good morning to people, all the time some 20+ times a day.

However, the biggest problem is when you don’t say good morning. Even though it’s just fake politeness, they get all offended when you just say nothing, as if it’s the end of the world.

Maybe I’m just bitter because I work with spoiled shitfaced 21 year olds, or maybe I’m still pissed because I got some bruised ribs. I still hate saying good morning, and that’s my rant.[/quote]

Why don’t you just say good morning, it takes 1 second and it makes you look like one the crowd with very little effort.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
It’s just a greeting. Say “Hi” or something. There are worse things going on in the world than people greeting each other. People on this site bitch about the stupidest things.[/quote]

Yep, it’s not to hard to look pleasant and it takes no real effort. I doubt anyone here is the President of the USA or has an equally intense job.

Just be nice, it’s not hard.

imhungry wrote:
Court wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
Court wrote:

Bitch.

However maybe it has to do with the fact they all know I’m moving in 6 months to another coast and another country… hmmmmm

Wrong. They like her because she wears blouses that accidentally come unbuttoned over the bust at inconvenient times.

Skank.[/quote]

Too bad there’s nothing to come out.

I had an odd one recently. I called a guy during work hours who I work with to talk about a job he was doing for me…

Me:“hey Doug, what are you up to?”

Doug: “hi Julie, I’m having a bath”

Sounds of water swishing.

In this instance “not much” would have been the best response. That’s why we have general social niceties. I’m still trying to burn that image from my brain.

to the op!

there was an old man i used to work with that you remind me of.

i would say “good morning!”(i a very cheery voice just because i know he dosent like it). and he would reply.

“WHATS SO FUCKIN GOOD ABOUT IT!”

work, go home, sleep, repeat! best part of my day lol

I’m not too fussed about that. What pisses me off is, when you go into a shop, and whoever is behind the counter, is just sat there blabbering on the phone to some guy in there first language, and just don’t say a word to you at all when they’re serving you. The other day I called the guy and ignorant prick and reminded him this is England, not Delhi, so get some fucking manners.

Stop showering. They’ll give you a wide berth.

Eh - it’s easy enough to smile at folks, or to say hello or good morning.

If you’re in a perpetually bad mood and read into every single person’s greeting as phony and contrived, you’re immediately disdainful of them and that’s what you’ll reflect back.

And who’s to say people don’t really give a shit? Some don’t, but lots of people have empathy for their co-workers personal lives…

imhungry wrote:
Court wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
Court wrote:

Bitch.

Skank. [/quote]

PMPM, You’ve got it wrong. I don’t wear a blouse with buttons that come undone. I wear mini skirts and generally don’t wear panties underneath. Just last week I was asking for a raise and SLOWLY uncrossed and recrossed my legs. I had a few extra thousand bucks on my paycheck this week.

/fictional story

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Too bad there’s nothing to come out.
[/quote]

Pot meet kettle.