Sawhorses for Squats

I’ve been trying to set up a gym in my garage, with limited space (no room for a proper rack or power cage).

My biggest issue right now is squat safety. A few companies sell free-standing “spotter catchers”, but on closer inspection even the “heavy duty” ones seem to be rated at around 100kg (220 lbs). Now, I don’t think of myself as strong, but I already routinely squat that much.

Someone suggested sawhorses. I find that my local B&Q (equivalent Home Depot) will sell me “budget sawhorses” made of plastic for £20 ($35) - and these are rated at 340kg (over 700lbs)!!!

Something is out of whack here. I’m tempted by the cheap sawhorses, but don’t want to kill myself. Does anyone have any experiences to share?

I think sawhorses could work…however, if they are low saw horses, you would be starting out of the hole.

If you work out alone and want to be safe, I would go with front squats. If you take on a weight you can’t handle, just lean forward and unload. In fact, I do squats at my home gym and that’s exactly what I do.

Thanks.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I think sawhorses could work…however, if they are low saw horses, you would be starting out of the hole. [/quote]

Oh, I think I’d get some freestanding stands for the lift-off. The sawhorses would have to be just for safety.

Yea; front squats are good. But if I’m going to give up my gym membership, I don’t want to be /never/ doing regular squats in the future.

bricks?

build 2 walls… gotta be cheap, and would defo take the punishment!

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
bricks?

build 2 walls… gotta be cheap, and would defo take the punishment![/quote]

hmm. that would get in the way of putting the car in the garage.

I’d buy a proper rack if there was room…

I belive Dan John uses them if that means anything to you. It does to me.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I think sawhorses could work…however, if they are low saw horses, you would be starting out of the hole.

If you work out alone and want to be safe, I would go with front squats. If you take on a weight you can’t handle, just lean forward and unload. In fact, I do squats at my home gym and that’s exactly what I do.[/quote]

first thing i thought of recommending when i read the OP

I have used them before. You have to start out of the hole, but if that is the only way for you to squat it is worth it. You could even do front squats or zercher squats

[quote]doc_man_101 wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
bricks?

build 2 walls… gotta be cheap, and would defo take the punishment!

hmm. that would get in the way of putting the car in the garage.

I’d buy a proper rack if there was room…
[/quote]

could you put the car in the driveway or the street and then put a power rack in your garage? not trying to sound like a smart ass, just saying that’s what I’d do :stuck_out_tongue:

DG

Do what you gotta do, man.

Back squatting with no rack helps you learn how to dump a squat REAL fast, at least in my experience.

I got a pair a few weeks ago and started doing front squats. Not sure how much weight they can handle, though - they’re old metal ones with no “official rating”. Haven’t put much more than 200 pounds on them yet.