T Nation

Save NPR

With Republicans back in charge of the House of Representatives, funding for NPR and PBS is in grave danger. Again.

The Republicans just released their budget proposal, and it zeroes out funding for both NPR and PBS--the worst proposal in more than a decade.

We need to tell Republicans that cutting off funding was unacceptable last time they were in charge, and it's unacceptable now.

A compiled petition with your individual comment will be presented to your Senators and Representative.

http://pol.moveon.org/nprpbs/?rc=mailto.fb.share.taf.alt.fb.share.taf.alt

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
With Republicans back in charge of the House of Representatives, funding for NPR and PBS is in grave danger. Again.

The Republicans just released their budget proposal, and it zeroes out funding for both NPR and PBS–the worst proposal in more than a decade.

We need to tell Republicans that cutting off funding was unacceptable last time they were in charge, and it’s unacceptable now.

A compiled petition with your individual comment will be presented to your Senators and Representative.

http://pol.moveon.org/nprpbs/?rc=mailto.fb.share.taf.alt.fb.share.taf.alt[/quote]

no

Fuck NPR.

It’s only slightly more tolerable after Daniel Schorr… uh, departed.

Take your whiny nanny government appeal to PWI where it belongs and where you can cry incessantly about ‘those evil Republicans’ (of which I am not one).

Juan Williams, former NPR reporter (left leaning), has called for defunding NPR as well.

Let them compete for air time in the market like everyone else.

Pass. The Juan Williams incident was the last straw for me.

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Pass. The Juan Williams incident was the last straw for me.[/quote]

THIS.

If any reporter is commenting for FOX ‘news’ they have got to go.
http://www.alternet.org/story/149879/“we_were_a_stalin-esque_mouthpiece_for_bush”_--_fox_news_insider

Furthermore if you listen to NPR you see that they are the real fair and balanced news outlet. Its very clear that they take great pains to report both sides of every issue.

There is no other quality broadcast news.

Furthermore they are highly educational. PBS and NPR both. They do way more than politics.

PBS is a part-time baby sitter for probably 90% of the country. And it does that while letting mommy and daddy relax for five minutes, teaching kids basic literacy and numeracy skills, and without selling them sugary cereal every five minutes.

Unless I’m mistaken the federal funding actually goes mostly to affiliate stations who bring you local issues, and report on local government. NPR, PRI, and the other contributing companies are something like 95% privately funded.

[quote]Eli B wrote:
Furthermore if you listen to NPR you see that they are the real fair and balanced news outlet. Its very clear that they take great pains to report both sides of every issue.
[/quote]

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HAHA A AHAAAAHAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HAHA A AHAAAAHAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HAHA A AHAAAAHAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HAHA A AHAAAAHAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No, really, STFU and stop smoking whatever shit you’re smoking.

NPR is not “real fair” - with the firing of Juan Williams is is clear that they are openly left just as Fox is openly right. The difference is that Fox is a private corporation. What both of these entities do is their business - as long as its not with my money. If so many people like NPR, they can pay for it themselves - why should taxpayers have to support this? There is a big enough listener base that they should be able to charge a small monthly fee or run ads to stay afloat.

[quote]Eli B wrote:

[/quote]
Thats not how you spell Al-jazerra or BBC.

I like NPR… “All Things Considered” is one of my favorite broadcasts.

Do I think NPR leans toward the left…yes.

Do I think is more than a little hypocritical that NPR gets government funding while the left continuously try to take conservatives off private talk radio? YES.

But I still like a lot of the stuff on NPR…I will miss them if they go.

The Republicans just released their budget proposal, and it zeroes out funding for both NPR and PBS–the worst proposal in more than a decade.

[/quote]

C’mon. Surely there were worse decisions made under Bush and Obama than the canning of PBS. What about the War in Iraq? No Child Left Behind? TARP? Removal of government funds for stem cell research? Change in the scope of NASA’s mission? Bailing out AIG? Not bailing out Lehman Bros? McChrystal’s COINPRO strategy? Supporting Musharref, Karzai, and Kim?

I mean, I have no idea which of these you probably didn’t like (well, some idea, but still), but I imagine at least one of them is worse than the defunding of NPR/PBS, right?

No more Car Talk?

I like NPR cuz it is fun to listen to hippies beg for change. And money.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
I like NPR… “All Things Considered” is one of my favorite broadcasts.

Do I think NPR leans toward the left…yes.

Do I think is more than a little hypocritical that NPR gets government funding while the left continuously try to take conservatives off private talk radio? YES.

But I still like a lot of the stuff on NPR…I will miss them if they go.

[/quote]

X2

Fresh Air interviews are some of the best.

NPR is too Left to give them gov’t funding with a good conciseness. Half the country disagrees with what they report, yet they have to pay for it? If the shoe were on the other foot, I think you’d have a big problem with it.

For the record, I really enjoy some of the shows they have on. Science Friday in particular. I’m sure they’ll find funding through donation and advertising. If not, they they’ll expire kicking and screaming. I guess they should have thought of that before they fired Juan Williams the way they did. That really damaged their credibility (at least it did for me).

If you like them send them a check.

The federal government is so far in the hole it is a no brainer to defund NPR and much much more.

[quote]Big Banana wrote:
If you like them send them a check.

The federal government is so far in the hole it is a no brainer to defund NPR and much much more.[/quote]

It’s really that simple.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy much programming on PBS/NPR. However, I don’t think it should be ‘brought to you by my tax dollars’. Public broadcasting is underwritten by corporations (which enjoy the tax write off), so it’s not too far of a leap to have to survive off of advertising dollars like every other media venture.

My feeling is that the science/humor/human-interest programming would survive. The newscorp/political wing would not (see: Air America).

Iron Dwarf - One of the best Fresh Air (and radio in general) interviews EVER:

Gene Simmons:

I’m not going to get into the politics of it. Regardless, the funding should not be cut. While some shows are political, others are not, and everyone suffers if this is gone.

I’m not going to get into the politics of it. Regardless, the funding should not be cut. While some shows are political, others are not, and everyone suffers if this is gone.[/quote]

It won’t go. Most of its money comes from other sources.

Regardless, the funding should not be cut. While some shows are political, others are not, and everyone suffers if this is gone.[/quote]

Why? Because you say so?

My life is not lacking without NPR. I’m certainly not suffering. I don’t know anyone who would suffer from not having NPR.

Maybe if those most likely to suffer would start cutting some checks and sending in cashish-- you know, support with THEIR dollars and not mine, there would be much less ‘suffering’.