Sauna/Nudity/Dilemma

I avoid using the locker room in my gym because people, young, old…etc. love hanging around naked in there. Like Prof said, I go in, people are naked, I come back one hour later, the same people are still naked, wtf ?

No problem with the person changing his clothes or showering, the ones who only stay naked for time it takes to do those things, but why the fuck would any anyone want to hang around naked in the locker room for more than 30 minutes ? I don’t see anything manly about walking around naked flashing your junk at people who come in to tend their own business. It’s fucking disgusting, nobody deserves to walk in somewhere and see a naked fat 60 year old trying to start conversations.

Men’s Health and the Washington Post. Mean’s Health is okay; It’s Men’s Fitness that you should be worried about.

[quote]walkersc wrote:
Men’s Health and the Washington Post. Mean’s Health is okay; It’s Men’s Fitness that you should be worried about.[/quote]

LOL!

How about Hustler or Penthouse?

Picture for effect

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Picture for effect[/quote]

Apparently, we are not the only people to notice this.

It could be a generational thing or it could simply be age!

I assume that as you get older you begin to care less and less about trivial stuff like how your body looks to other people, so yes’ older guys ‘appear’ to have no shame or they simply dont give a shit!

Sure why would ya give a shit about exposing your balls when you have more to worry about like an inflamed prostate or that you piss in dribbles or your tits resemble old deflated balloons!

The exception is the guy that dries his ball with the hairdryer and hangs out all day chatting - we have one’ and judging by all the responses here ye all know that guy! Fucking weirdo

The European thing is interesting because most of mainland Europe sauna nude ‘both sexes’ and all adult ages not just the crusty’s!

Trying to compose yourself in an Austrian sauna when some beautiful alpine lass struts in and tries to have a conversation with you, now that a situation that gets confusing real quick!

BTW I have no problem with nudity in a unisex sauna - cruising / propositioning gays is something I have never experienced - wouldnt that be deemed sexual harassment?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Picture for effect[/quote]

Apparently, we are not the only people to notice this.[/quote]

X that is why I work out in my garage among other things. I do pre-employment physicals for a fortune 500 company, which includes Hernia checks. Sad to say I see enough of the male twig and berries during work.

I always go into the sauna in full sweats and I can’t stand anyone who goes in there with less.

Just kidding, I walk in there Iron Dwarf style- wagging it in front of everyone’s face

[quote]biglifter wrote:
Reason # 1,325 for a home gym.[/quote]

Beg your pardon, but I must question your order of priority. It is reason #1.

OP,

being German (which has a strong naturist tradition) and having lived in Japan (mixed onsen anyone?) I’m used to mixed public nudity. No big deal. When I was young, I used to work in a gym, where some of my tasks was to clean the shower/sauna area and I’d often be the only clothed person amongst nude people of all shapes, ages and sizes, and undoubtedly proclivities. It’s perfectly natural for me to go to the sauna with my friends (no gym visit beforehand needed) - I’ve pretty much seen them all naked (male as well as female, hetero or gay/lesbian).

In fact, since living in the UK (and having been to gyms in the US), I sometimes feel a bit constrained, as the thought alone evokes quite some strong emotional responses on the topic (see above) and there’s pretty much no one to go with. I find an afternoon in the sauna / steam bath one of the most liberating and relaxing pasttimes ever. I’ll see some nice looking people and I’ll see some not so beautiful people, and I don’t give a monkeys. If someone decides to check out my arse, good luck to him/her - they’d do it if I was clothed just the same. I find the main constraint is ones own body image and what one projects on others. Nothing wrong with covering up, nothing wrong with not covering up. So, dear OP - I really wouldn’t care - there are far more important issues to ponder, such as if to start with the Finnish sauna or the steam room first.

Makkun

[quote]MassiveGuns wrote:

I hate seeing free flying penises. I will just say that flat out. I hate walking into the locker room and seeing older people walking around with their junk out. Yes, it may be a generational thing because I notice some older people do seem to enjoy being naked in there.

I think the problem is that most people who like to be naked…are the last people anyone really wants to see naked.[/quote]

Sounds like you’ve got some repressed homosexuality going on there. If you were totally straight it wouldn’t bother you.[/quote]

I think you miss my point. Most of the people I see do this are in pretty bad shape and they are not simply getting dressed or drying off. They are using that time as if the locker room is a nudist colony.

Everyone who doesn’t want to see that is not harboring repressed homosexuality. However, please let us know where you earned your Psych degree. Medical school?

No?

Oh, so you are just another guy on the internet making brash split second psychoanalysis of people.

Right.[/quote]

So out of shape people with their tackle out bothers you, but its OK if they work out?

It seems like you have subconcious taste in men.

My dad moonlighted as a strength and conditioning coach for the local college and I pretty much grew up in the gym, weight rooms, and locker rooms. At 58 years old I’m of a different generation of most of the T-Nationers. I’ve never found it unusual or weird for total nudity in the locker room or sauna. Most every college athlete I was around while growing up had a healthy attitude toward nudity but were respectful of those around them - no drying their balls at the hand dryer or powdering their junk.

I currently workout at a Powerhouse Gym and don’t see any of these activities or find someone hanging out in the locker room just to “hang out”. However, I have asked someone to please put a towel on the bench when they sit down - their response was apologetic and respectful. Also, I use a towel in the sauna and when not getting dressed because that’s what my mom and dad expected when at home. I think people should accept nudity as normal and not get hung-up over it - its not that big of a deal.

I hate seeing free flying penises. I will just say that flat out. I hate walking into the locker room and seeing older people walking around with their junk out. Yes, it may be a generational thing because I notice some older people do seem to enjoy being naked in there.

I think the problem is that most people who like to be naked…are the last people anyone really wants to see naked.[/quote]

Sounds like you’ve got some repressed homosexuality going on there. If you were totally straight it wouldn’t bother you.[/quote]

I think you miss my point. Most of the people I see do this are in pretty bad shape and they are not simply getting dressed or drying off. They are using that time as if the locker room is a nudist colony.

Everyone who doesn’t want to see that is not harboring repressed homosexuality. However, please let us know where you earned your Psych degree. Medical school?

No?

Oh, so you are just another guy on the internet making brash split second psychoanalysis of people.

Right.[/quote]

So out of shape people with their tackle out bothers you, but its OK if they work out?

It seems like you have subconcious taste in men.

[/quote]

It seems like you’re a jackass.

Oh, look! It’s catching!

Try something original, cupcake. I know it may take you a while, but I am sure you can…ah, who are we kidding?

[quote]mudshark wrote:
My dad moonlighted as a strength and conditioning coach for the local college and I pretty much grew up in the gym, weight rooms, and locker rooms. At 58 years old I’m of a different generation of most of the T-Nationers. I’ve never found it unusual or weird for total nudity in the locker room or sauna. Most every college athlete I was around while growing up had a healthy attitude toward nudity but were respectful of those around them - no drying their balls at the hand dryer or powdering their junk. I currently workout at a Powerhouse Gym and don’t see any of these activities or find someone hanging out in the locker room just to “hang out”. However, I have asked someone to please put a towel on the bench when they sit down - their response was apologetic and respectful. Also, I use a towel in the sauna and when not getting dressed because that’s what my mom and dad expected when at home. I think people should accept nudity as normal and not get hung-up over it - its not that big of a deal. [/quote]

Are some of you actually reading this thread? No one is talking about simply being nude when changing or after taking a shower. Every guy in there who takes a shower has to be nude at some point.

[quote]byukid wrote:
I always go into the sauna in full sweats and I can’t stand anyone who goes in there with less.

Just kidding, I walk in there Iron Dwarf style- wagging it in front of everyone’s face [/quote]

Okay – i think we can all agree that grandpa blowdrying his balls or being ambushed at the Smith machine with a spandex-clad creep with a boner asking if you’ve tried Biotest’s new #1 Post-Workout Power Gurgle Blow Job supplement are not things we’d like to encounter at the gym. But for fuck’s sake, all I was talking about was sitting there naked in the sauna, where you’re supposed to be naked (see any website on saunas and European posters can and have verified). I don’t shave naked at the sink, I usually have a towel around my waist when I walk from the shower/sauna area to my locker, and I don’t fucking flaunt anything. So after reading all these (mostly) amusing posts, my take now is: fuck it, I’m going to walk in there Iron Dwarf style just like byukid.

I would note that it’s interesting that many of the posters who expressed outraged disgust at encountering other men naked in the sauna/shower/locker room are so devoted to body building and brotherhood of lifters and have profile pictures in which they appear in scantily clad poses, displaying themselves for what are clearly mostly male members. I’m not suggesting that they’re latently gay. But something else is going on. I’m not sure what.

Some people just have a different sense of modesty.

For weigh ins before matches we used to line up naked, get on the scale, get weighed then get ready for the match. No big deal, just part of the process.

A friend of mine’s whole family are nudists, belong to a nudist colony, the whole shebang. We used to travel to different ski resorts through out the north east for a week at a time and stay in the same chalet or condo, and I never saw him naked, except at one point in the hot tub with a couple of women we picked up, and we were all naked for that one.

There’s a time and place for it, and there’s appropriate and inappropriate. I think that getting changed, showered, and all part of the process is fine, but when someone takes an inordinate amount of time to run around and have a little to much fun while they’re at it, it is inappropriate.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:
Reason # 1,325 for a home gym.[/quote]

Beg your pardon, but I must question your order of priority. It is reason #1.
[/quote]

Oh those weren’t ranked. Yea, it would be up around the top spot for me also.

** T-Man Disclaimer **

The fact that I would take offense at the idea of running through a gauntlet of aging, obese, hairy, naked men does not imply that I repress homo urges. I find the concept gross for the sake of being gross and there is no deep psychological component to it. Just wanted to clear that up, before I’m given the X treatment.

I still don’t understand what the big deal is. If 2 old men want to talk to each other naked in the change room for long periods of time how exactly are the rest of you so badly affected?

Get in, get out and keep your head down if it bothers you so bad.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I still don’t understand what the big deal is. If 2 old men want to talk to each other naked in the change room for long periods of time how exactly are the rest of you so badly affected?

[/quote]
?

Using that logic, every thread here griping about ANYTHING about ANY gym should be erased.

Hell, why are you here discussing this with us? Why does us discussing this bother you so much?

Why not just stop surfing the internet?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Cuz no one wants to see a live action lemon party at the gym except the ones in it.

It’s ugly and weird. The reason even some of the more educated people here even have a hard time articulating why is proof to the fact that it is beyond explanation.

It’s like the terror described in an H.P. Lovecraft story. Hard to describe, but palpable. Bordering on insanity while sliding viscously back and forth between life and non life, but perceptually not dead.