Saudi Funded Textbooks

What’s wrong with that?

[quote]Stotsky was a commissioner at the Massachusetts Department of Education from 1999 until 2003. In that role, she helped set standards for students and teachers on the K thru 12 level. Stotsky wrote a book about her experience called “The Stealth Curriculum.”

“We heard from a number of groups who were outraged because they didn’t want what they called a ‘Euro-centric’ version of history,” said Stotsky. “They literally wanted an Islamo-centric version of history. Which means you look at the world from the perspective of Islam and you don’t talk about any negative aspects of Islam.”

After the 9/11 attacks, Stotsky and the Massachusetts board organized a special seminar for K-12 teachers to learn about Islamic history and the Middle East.

Harvard University’s Center for Middle Eastern Studies helped organize the seminar. Stotsky said she was shocked by the Center’s suggestions:

“They ranged from having students make prayer rugs; describe what it would be like to go on a hajj–a pilgrimage; learn and memorize the five pillars of Islam; listen to and learn how to recite passages from the Koran; dress like a Muslim from a particular country.it was, to me, a clear violation of ethics involved in how one would expect children to learn about another culture. That they would literally go through the memorization and the learning of religious beliefs.”

“These are unacceptable practices in a public school,” she added. “In fact, they would be unacceptable academic practices in any school.”[/quote]

Got it. Christianity: clearly out. Islam: in! I can just picture the conversations with little Johnny over the dinner table about what he learned in school today: “Mom, the Holy Qur’an is revealed by Allah through the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh). Kuffar are dirty and must pay jizya! I want to go on a hajj.”

Wow.