Saudi Arabia is Nuts

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Morality is not entirely relative.

Um…yes it is.[/quote]

…So… if a culture finds child rape perfectly acceptable you wouldn’t find that part of said culture utterly repugnant and in need of some serious correction?

[quote]lixy wrote:
The regime in place is armed to the teeth and backed by very affluent foreign powers.

What I’d like to know is, how exactly do you see a civil war play out where a side has F-15s and the other a bunch of stones? Also, chances of said backers sitting it out are quite slim.[/quote]

Are they using stones in Iraq?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
blazindave wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

Um…yes it is.

…So… if a culture finds child rape perfectly acceptable you wouldn’t find that part of said culture utterly repugnant and in need of some serious correction?[/quote]

Reductio ad absurdum.

There’s no way a culture with women and/or fathers among its constituents, will ever find “child rape perfectly acceptable”. Heck, I don’t know one culture where adult rape is acceptable.

Substitute “Morality is not entirely relative” with “Morality should not be entirely relative” in your original statement and I’ll agree with you 100%.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
blazindave wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

Um…yes it is.

…So… if a culture finds child rape perfectly acceptable you wouldn’t find that part of said culture utterly repugnant and in need of some serious correction?[/quote]

Some acts that you consider to be child rape could be perfectly acceptable, yes.

[quote]lixy wrote:

There’s no way a culture with women and/or fathers among its constituents, will ever find “child rape perfectly acceptable”. Heck, I don’t know one culture where adult rape is acceptable.
[/quote]

Perhaps because morality isn’t entirely relative?

[quote]Anonymous Coward wrote:
lixy wrote:

Perhaps because morality isn’t entirely relative?[/quote]

When you say that it “isn’t”, it presupposes absolute knowledge.

I’m not that arrogant.

[quote]lixy wrote:

I’m not that arrogant.[/quote]

You are a humble man - with much to be humble about.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
blazindave wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

Um…yes it is.

I would not tolerate child rape in the sense you are thinking about. But other cultures have other practices that we think are immoral or barbaric… Child marriage in India? Not a gender issue and it normally results in a higher marriage success rate then in Western society. Eat insects? Protecting of sacred animals?

I am not saying I am agreein with any of these actions. It is just that different societies have different beliefs and values. One can not simply say mines right there is wrong. You have to look at it from there perspective. If you are born and raised in Saudia Arbia and strict Islamic-life style is all you know, then why would you think there is anythign wrong with it? Just because we think its wrong. All I am saying is look from the outside.

Now obviously there is some obvious exceptions such as murder, rape, and theft are all more or less universally recognized as wrong (in some way shape or form). Some societies need to reform there beliefs on this (either loosen or tighten them), but mainly speaking little things …like pet owenership…is up to the society

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:

I am not saying I am agreein with any of these actions. It is just that different societies have different beliefs and values. One can not simply say mines right there is wrong. You have to look at it from there perspective. If you are born and raised in Saudia Arbia and strict Islamic-life style is all you know, then why would you think there is anythign wrong with it? Just because we think its wrong. All I am saying is look from the outside.

[/quote]

Most people where I live think there’s plenty wrong with the Western lifestyle we enjoy which is much more priviledged. Just look at how popular some dude whose purported modus operandi is as vague as “change”.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

Most people where I live think there’s plenty wrong with the Western lifestyle we enjoy which is much more priviledged. Just look at how popular some dude whose purported modus operandi is as vague as “change”.[/quote]

I’m not saying its wrong (although, I will say it has its flaws and isnt perfect). But it def isnt right for everybody to follow and there are alternatives to “our” way

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

Many people fall into this trap. Moral relativity does not mean that all morality is relative.

I take the stance that the only moral absolute is the non-aggression axiom. All other questions of morality are completely relative to ones culture, learning, etc.

Rape, by definition, goes against the non-aggression axiom and thus would be considered immoral.

Besides this, just because I view the non-aggression axiom as an absolute does not mean others do. This is what is meant by moral relativity.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:
tg2hbk4488 wrote:

Most people where I live think there’s plenty wrong with the Western lifestyle we enjoy which is much more priviledged. Just look at how popular some dude whose purported modus operandi is as vague as “change”.[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with a priviledged lifestyle. There is nothing to feel guilty about unless that priviledged lifestyle comes from force or coersion of someone else.

Given the opportunity, most would choose the priveledged lifestyle.

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
I would not tolerate child rape in the sense you are thinking about. But other cultures have other practices that we think are immoral or barbaric… Child marriage in India? Not a gender issue and it normally results in a higher marriage success rate then in Western society. Eat insects? Protecting of sacred animals?
[/quote]

So you’re saying you can tolerate certain practices (good for you) but not others.

If you can’t tolerate the society of child-rape, than, obviously, morality is not entirely relative.

If it hurts and/or damages someone else or someone else’s property without cause, it is probably immoral. Agree/disagree?

(Oh and I’m willing to bet child-marriages don’t have the option of getting a divorce -_-)

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

If you can’t tolerate the society of child-rape, than, obviously, morality is not entirely relative.

If it hurts and/or damages someone else or someone else’s property without cause, it is probably immoral. Agree/disagree?

(Oh and I’m willing to bet child-marriages don’t have the option of getting a divorce -_-)[/quote]

I was not talking about physically the act of rape (forced unwanted sexual intercourse), but say statutory rape which we would still consider a type of rape

Child marriage is complicated and it depends on your class (or caste in society). Depends on the reason for the divorce, when def get screwed on this section, but none the less. The act of marriage is no different for a man or a woman. Today, it is rare for “child marriage”. But parents arrange at birth to marry and they marry in early teens, still not the best, but better than when you are 5 months old