Saturn: A Double Hexagon!!

How can nature produce a hexagon, lacking the presence of intellect? Bees can make a hexagon. What made the one on Saturn? God? Aliens?

Saturn Hexagon Mystifies Scientists
Larry O’Hanlon, Discovery News

March 27, 2007 - Something downright weird has been sighted twirling over the north pole of Saturn: A long-lived double hexagon formed in the clouds.

The two six-sided features - one inside the other - are in stark contrast to the hurricane-like vortex that has been observed at the ringed planet’s south pole. Both poles have been imaged by NASA’s orbiting Cassini spacecraft.

“We haven’t seen a (geometric) feature like this anywhere else on any other planet,” said Cassini scientist Kevin Baines of the NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. “It’s unbelievable.”

One of the unexplained hexagons was glimpsed obliquely before, by the Voyager 1 and 2 spacecrafts more than 20 years ago, which is how scientists know it’s a durable feature. Cassini’s infrared mapping instrument has provided the first whole, irrefutable images of the feature from a higher-latitude orbit.

The 15,000-mile-wide feature appears to be some sort of deep-seated standing wave, through which other things move without changing the wave pattern, Baines observed. It also appears to be in sync with the planet’s quick 10-and-a-half-hour rotation.

Beyond that, nobody is sure what to make of it.

“It’s perplexing,” said Baines. “It’s a bizarre pattern.”

Cassini’s recent fly over Saturn’s southern hemisphere gave scientists a chance to verify that no such feature appears there. Instead there was a mega-hurricane-like vortex with a broad, deep eye over the south pole, explained Cassini team member Bob Brown of the University of Arizona."

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
How can nature produce a hexagon, lacking the presence of intellect? Bees can make a hexagon. What made the one on Saturn? God? Aliens?

[/quote]

God.

[quote]kkeane wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

God.[/quote]

Giant Saturnian Bees?

“OK, here’s what we’ve got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires…”

One of many pics:

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
kkeane wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

God.

Giant Saturnian Bees?[/quote]

The Six Jewish Bankers of World Power, hands down.

kkeane wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

God.

I did it.

Thats where hell really is.

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060515/full/060515-17.html

As for a real answer, it can be proven by anyone with big ass blender that large centripetal forces produce polygon patterns in a rotating fluid. Obviously on a scale like this, it requires way more investigation, but this is the most plausible theory. The gases can move at breathtaking speed on the giant gas planets.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060515/full/060515-17.html

As for a real answer, it can be proven by anyone with big ass blender that large centripetal forces produce polygon patterns in a rotating fluid. Obviously on a scale like this, it requires way more investigation, but this is the most plausible theory. The gases can move at breathtaking speed on the giant gas planets.[/quote]

eh, wrong.

Im still going with my hell theory.

kkeane wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

God.

What’s funny is that your explanation really sounds like a Futurama episode.

Donut, there is no room for science here. The only plausible theory presented thus far deals with giant, killer Saturanian bees. Better there than here, imo.

[quote]SandSkorpion wrote:
Donut, there is no room for science here. The only plausible theory presented thus far deals with giant, killer Saturanian bees. Better there than here, imo.[/quote]

We should take their honey. To the spaceship!

Hexagons are very organic, ask your local organic chemist.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Hexagons are very organic, ask your local organic chemist. [/quote]

Like the benzene ring?

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
I did it. [/quote]

I give you ten TC funny points.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Hexagons are very organic, ask your local organic chemist. [/quote]

I called mine, and his secretary told me he was working abroad for a few months, in Chronos to be exact. Must be an island in Greece…

Classic example of chaos theory and self-organizing dynamic systems. Given enough complexity, order arises from chaos automatically.

Another example: two parallel sheets of glass, the bottom one heated, the top one cooled, in between there’s a fluid (like water). After a short while, the fluid starts moving between the sheets in a hexagonal pattern - tiny convection cells appear throughout the fluid, each cell has the shape of a hexagon.
I’m not saying that’s what happens on Saturn, I’m just saying that the presence of order does not imply a Grand Designer. Order already exists hidden in chaos, and complexity is what reveals it.

[quote]florin wrote:
Classic example of chaos theory and self-organizing dynamic systems. Given enough complexity, order arises from chaos automatically.

Another example: two parallel sheets of glass, the bottom one heated, the top one cooled, in between there’s a fluid (like water). After a short while, the fluid starts moving between the sheets in a hexagonal pattern - tiny convection cells appear throughout the fluid, each cell has the shape of a hexagon.
I’m not saying that’s what happens on Saturn, I’m just saying that the presence of order does not imply a Grand Designer. Order already exists hidden in chaos, and complexity is what reveals it.[/quote]

Now THAT’s interesting! I don’t want to turn this into a religion thread, but why does what we take as being ‘order’ arise automatically from chaos? Is there a rational answer w/o invoking a design argument? Why does the hexagon appear at the North Pole and not the South?

I find this anamoly interesting.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Now THAT’s interesting! I don’t want to turn this into a religion thread, but why does what we take as being ‘order’ arise automatically from chaos? Is there a rational answer w/o invoking a design argument? Why does the hexagon appear at the North Pole and not the South?

I find this anamoly interesting.

[/quote]

It is somewhat easier to rest on an Aristotelian or Alfarabian notion of a First Cause, or that “which ought to be called God,” rather than a Judeo-Christian god.

The difference, for your question, is that the former implies that order emanates from the first principles of being, whereas the latter implies thoughtful (and arbitrary) organization of the universe. There is a spectrum, of course, between arbitrary and necessary.

For an easy, non-metaphysical account, we can simply appeal to the extended anthropic principle. That is, the universe must have laws that are consistent with human life.

It may be possible for a universe to exist in which there are no laws of physics as we understand them. But such a universe probably could not support life. Arbitrariness in nature would make planet formation impossible, not to mention evolution.