T Nation

Saturday, Sunday, Monday

These three days I am going to write down all of this-

• Times I wake up/go to sleep
  • morning weight
  • cardio log
  • weightlifting log
  • food log
  • supplement schedule (I’m a Biotest whore)
  • general notes for each day (mood, stress, etc.)

Why? because the past few days I have felt like shit. My workout today was crap and to be honest I’m sure that everything I am doing is inefficient and most likely redundant.

All I ask is to point out anything I should change. (with proof of worth, no bullshit.) Any training advice you have, and again please link a respected/scientific site or evidence for your advice.

My ultimate goal for the summer is to be able to write efficient workouts (no more 2 hour gym sessions, thats ridiculous) and even out my right and left side (acl tear and messed up shoulder, both on left side. basically my weight is split 60/40 between my right and left side, it’s pissing me off.

so the three most needed questions I need answered are-

1. how do I train to get my left side to match my right?
  2. How do I create workouts to match my goals? (sounds obvious, but I have trouble with this, my past 3 attempts have failed, I either write one too hard or too easy)
  3. are the supplements I am taking actually worth my money and if not, what do I replace them with?

[quote]

1. how do I train to get my left side to match my right?

2. How do I create workouts to match my goals? (sounds obvious, but I have trouble with this, my past 3 attempts have failed, I either write one too hard or too easy)

3. are the supplements I am taking actually worth my money and if not, what do I replace them with?[/quote]

4. dumbbells and any variety of unilateral exercises (reverse lunges and bulgarian squats for legs, db bench press for chest, you get the idea)…make sure you only as many reps on each side as your weakest side. that will even them out

5. use the search button and STICK TO IT. even if you get bored and think it’s ineffective, stay with it the whole way through.

6. not until you get your diet in order, which probably isn’t in order at all.

[quote]turnquist wrote:
[…]
[…][/quote]

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1943700

1.& 3. already answered

Saturday-

• fell asleep around 12, woke up at 8:30
  • morning weight was 179.8 Note that 17 days ago when I started eating 6 times a day I weighed 186.9
  • Breakfast Protein Shake
    1 scoop Grow! whey
    1 scoop Biotest Superfood
    1 serving ABB creatine
    1/4th cup odwalla superfood
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup frozen berries
    the rest of the space is filled with water.

also I am drinking 1.36L of water with breakfast

• In the mornings along with the Superfood and Grow! i take Flameout fish oil. 2 capsules.
  • moderately awake now, need to get water and food in my system.

My diet isn’t crappy, I have spent the past year researching how to eat better. I hate candy and sweets, have fruits / vegetables at every meal with some kind of protein and I know my body doesn’t work well with carbs so I cut back on those. i started eating 6 times a day 17 days ago and I went from 186 to 179.8lbs and have noticed a huge decrease in my waist size, and my upper back fat.

oh. and I throw out any food item that has HFCS/Aspartame/just plain crap that enters my house.

Should have mentioned that I have been “lifting” (not seriously) for 2 years, TKD for 4.5 years, Muay Thai for 1 year, and kung fu for a few weeks. I am also 6’1" and 180lbs, Im guessing at about 11-12% bf because I can see my upper abs, but I do not know for sure.

[quote]turnquist wrote:

All I ask is to point out anything I should change. (with proof of worth, no bullshit.) Any training advice you have, and again please link a respected/scientific site or evidence for your advice.[/quote]

I appreciate that you want to get good advice, but asking for scientific citations is overkill. I am a scientist and am used to citing sources in my field, but it’s a lot of work and a pain in the rear and not what I want to do when offering advice on a forum.

To sift the good from the bad, you have to read a lot, read opposing viewpoints, and try things out.

Start here:

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_1&cr=
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_2&cr=

Also read “Training for Newbies,” “Nutrition for Newbies,” and “Supplementation for Newbies” which are linked in the stickies at the top of the Beginner forum.

Loading is easy to change during the workout if sets are too hard or too easy. So I don’t know what you mean by writing programs that are too hard or too easy.

This question is not answerable. We don’t even know what supplements you take! What are we, psychic? Nor do we know your goals, training, nutrition, lifestyle factors, or health history.

[quote]turnquist wrote:
Saturday-

• fell asleep around 12, woke up at 8:30
  • morning weight was 179.8 Note that 17 days ago when I started eating 6 times a day I weighed 186.9
  • Breakfast Protein Shake
    1 scoop Grow! whey
    1 scoop Biotest Superfood
    1 serving ABB creatine
    1/4th cup odwalla superfood
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup frozen berries
    the rest of the space is filled with water.

also I am drinking 1.36L of water with breakfast

• In the mornings along with the Superfood and Grow! i take Flameout fish oil. 2 capsules.
  • moderately awake now, need to get water and food in my system.

My diet isn’t crappy, I have spent the past year researching how to eat better. I hate candy and sweets, have fruits / vegetables at every meal with some kind of protein and I know my body doesn’t work well with carbs so I cut back on those. i started eating 6 times a day 17 days ago and I went from 186 to 179.8lbs and have noticed a huge decrease in my waist size, and my upper back fat.

oh. and I throw out any food item that has HFCS/Aspartame/just plain crap that enters my house.

Should have mentioned that I have been “lifting” (not seriously) for 2 years, TKD for 4.5 years, Muay Thai for 1 year, and kung fu for a few weeks. I am also 6’1" and 180lbs, Im guessing at about 11-12% bf because I can see my upper abs, but I do not know for sure.[/quote]

OK, that was just breakfast, but THAT IS NOT ENOUGH FOOD. That is why you feel crappy. One scoop of whey and a few berries???

If you’re still doing all those martial arts along with lifting, you’re probably training too much. To train a lot, you MUST eat a lot as well.

Oh crap totally forgot to mention what I am taking.
Grow! protein, ABB Creatine monohydrate, Flameout, Superfood, and Powerdrive. I am planning to research fish oil and proper doses tonight, along with creatine

Oh and by scientific sources, Im not asking for a huge report. I am also posting this on another site with many members that do no research on anything (like taking olive oil shots… because they think thats a good thing to do) so I stuck that on there as an attempt to keep r-tards like them away.

Eat more food, got it. I knew this was most likely the case, so with my next meal I decided to up my intake a bit and get more proteins.

Meal #2
Decided to make a red pizza variation at the bottom of this article- http://www.T-Nation.com/article/diet_and_nutrition/good_sht&cr=dietAndNutrition
I had basil, spinach, low fat feta, sliced almonds, pasta sauce, chicken, and a whole grain tortilla.
a handfull of grapes and low fat cottage cheese as well on the side.

Again, I had 1.36L of water with the meal. And 2 more Flameout capsules.

I have noticed that I am a little more awake, but definitely not to the level I am looking for.

As far as reading different viewpoints an all that I have been lurking around T-Nation and exrx.net for the past 2 months. I used a template here- http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout3TLA.html
But really i understand that most of my problems are just a lack of knowledge and research.

Consume around ~20%-25% of your daily caloric intake with breakfast

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
Consume around ~20% of your daily caloric intake with breakfast[/quote]

oh damn thats alot. hah I’ll note that for tomorrow.

Meal #3
whole grain pasta w/ light red sauce and lean meatballs
apple and small salad without dressing (spinach, lettuce, basil, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes)

With 1.36L water and 2 Flameout capsules.

note- Feeling great. awake and productive, but I am a huge believer in always doing better.

continued and in much more depth here- http://trickstutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44066