T Nation

Saturated Fat with T-dawg

Is there an upper limit on saturated fat. Cheeses, bacon, and meat are staples. If there was too much meat, sat fat. I would like to eat lite sausage for breakfast, but it has very high sat fat. Thanks alot

bump

Too much of anything is a bad thing. Moderation is the key. I personally would kee the bacon and sausage consumption to 2-3 times a week.

Is this for long-term health reasons, or for weight loss reasons?

They are the same. You body requires nutrients from a variety of sources, so you need to mix it up. Take soy for instance, I still eat it, it has been a part of my diet since I was young, but it is not something that I eat everyday (maybe once a week). I keep repeating this, but moderation is the key. I feel that your diet should be like your training, constantly changing. This keeps you from stagnating. whether this has any real effect on your training or health, I do not have anything that proves it to be true, however, as a chef, I believe that it is good for the soul.

High levels of saturated fat in the diet have been correlated to decreased insulin sensitivity; however, I don’t know that natural sources of fat, such as dairy have that kind of impact.