Sarin Gas Attack in Syria

And doing that would have won the war. For Isis

CNN reporting Trump considering military action in Syria.

Boy if we enter WW3 against the Russians does that end the Russian collusion talk?

1 Like

No way.

Billionaires will make tons of war profiteer money during WWIII.

Think big picture.

Not if it goes nuclear. We all lose lol.

Nah not the billionaires, they all have bombshelters. Trump is likely orchestrating WW3 to clear space for his expansion at Mar a Lago, a true modern day Nero…

He didn’t need congress, he was stalling.
I have laid out in detail all of his movements from the ‘Red Line’ statement to the next chemical attack in another thread.

If you are interested, look up what Leon Panetta said about that period. He provided the most inside info on it.

But ultimately, I am interested in two things.
Assigning blame, because the ‘Red Line’ was a disaster and there were those who supported the action and failed to see the consequences of inaction. Not so much to blame Obama, but it’s solid proof to those who thought he did the right thing, that it was the wrong thing. It’s almost a gloat, but I won’t gloat over a tragedy, it’s more of a warning, human nature has not changed in the post-modern world. The things that worked in the past work now, the things that failed in the past fail now. Neville Chamberlain with his ‘Peace in our time’ bullshit vs. Churchhill’s “We will never surrender!”.

Second, postulate on what the right response is and ultimately what a President Trump ultimately does. Which for the sake of all of us, are two things that conflate. We cannot get Syria wrong. We don’t have too many chances to get it right.
We need to hit Assad’s assets and hit them hard. He fucked up, because Russia ultimately cannot back them on this. They can try to drum up plausible deniability, but all the Russians have said is that they didn’t have any planes in the area. The Syrians clearly had something in the area though. And the Russians cannot protect Assad for this one and they know it.
So if there was ever a time to nail Assad to the wall, it’s now.

This is his test. Forget about the minutia, this is his time to get it right. And he better get it right. This is his first real test as president.

You only need congress for an official declaration of war. Not for a military ‘action’. Like I said, it was a stalling tactic.

I would have like to have been a fly on the wall with the congressional leadership when he sprung that one… They be like, “Uh, ok. Sure, fire away. What’s that got to do with us?”

Extremely important point. Russia was allied with Assad but Assad was on the brink of collapse and the Russians were no where to be found. We could have damn near finished Assad off with a hard hitting action. The negotiations with the chemical weapons destruction was the foot in the door for the Russians. It’s what brought them in. Shortly after negotiating the chemical weapons removal, Russia then sent Assad a billion dollars of high tech weapons. Then the Russians came flooding in when they saw that he might actually survive this and getting involved could make them a major player in the ME.
The ripple effect of this blunder is more like a tsunami of never ending bad shit.

I am not going to say the sarin attack was ‘good’ news. But it was an action of the sort where the Russians cannot actually help them. Chemical weapons are a big no-no and they know it. So Assad managed to isolate himself event from the Russians. He could have done the same amount of damage with conventional weapons and we wouldn’t even be having this conversation. But because he’s a particularly evil and stupid bastard, he used sarin and now his is vulnerable…

Please Trump, don’t fuck this up… It’s a perfect opportunity to knock Assad on his ass and start to back the Russians off. If we do it right, that is.

1 Like

Scroll down the to the Syrian Survivor’s comment video… Very moving…

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the conditions of Assad’s ouster would be determined through the international political process.

“The process by which Assad would leave is something that I think requires an international community effort, both to first defeat ISIS within Syria, to stabilize the Syrian country, to avoid further civil war, and then to work collectively with our partners around the world through a political process that would lead to Assad leaving,” Tillerson told reporters on Thursday.

Quite a different message from last week. (This is the most words I’ve seen uttered by Tillerson since he took the post).

Wait…who are we going to retaliate against? We(the United States) are going to “retaliate” against Assad for something that happened to Syrians…in Syria? Makes sense.

1 Like

Well, of course. He not going to be easily deposed and that will take international cooperation. Retaliation for the chemical attack is first and foremost…

Yes. Like in Bosnia, we protect those who cannot protect themselves. If we don’t retaliate, the slaughter will continue. We cannot sit around and let that happen.

My opinion over all was and is Obama should have cut a deal with Assad. No chemical weapons but assistance with wiping out ISIS. I mean, hell, we’ve backed genocidal dictators in the past, why not this time, why not Assad?

1 Like

Scott adams has interesting take on the Syria stuff

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/159264981001/the-syrian-gas-attack-persuasion

Just heard cruise missiles were launched at the airfield responsible for the chemical attacks. Seems like a good start to me.

2 Likes

Agreed. The big question now, of course, is what comes next.

Edit: sounds like the strike was contained to one smaller airfield and not anti aircraft installations, etc. May suggest this isn’t the planned start of something bigger; just hamstring Assad from dropping bombs, chemical weapons on his own people.