Sarin Gas Attack in Syria

But you should, because now he and his fifteen different and inconsistent viewpoints on the matter are calling the shots now.

1 Like

If you are living in the past, then more pertinent is what obama did, rather than what Trump said.
Obama drew a ‘Red Line’ where that if Syria used chemical weapons, he was going to take a more aggressive (change in calculus), military response against Assad. The plans were drawn up. A military engagement was less than 12 hours from being launched, which was supposed to take out chemical weapons, severely damage the infrastructure and hit Assad’s assets hard.
The obama anouces he reached a deal with Russia where, with the aid of Russia, they would remove ‘all’ of their chemical weapons and an international coalition would destroy them.

Well, since then Assad had launched many chlorine attacks. The U.S. response, nothing. Now, Syria has broken out the Sarin which is a big no-no.

Let us hope, the President, this time, acts decisively and forcefully to this egregious act and not balk, or be talked out of decisive military force.

It’s time to hit Assad and hit him hard as fuck. That would solve several problems at once.
The Russian question would be more or less put to bed, since Russia is a staunch ally. However, they are on shaky ground here, cannot justify a Sarin attack. Assad is unprotectable even by Russia for that, even if Russia supports it, they know they would be beating the drums of war arguing about a military response to a chemical attack. So Assad is on his own.
Second, we put Assad on notice, if not kill him outright in an attack. We take out everything, including his new Russian made military toys.
Then we’ll see where we are, I don’t think we can look 5 moves ahead on this one. We have to damage Assad and do it soon.

It’s possible, not probable, but possible.

Doesn’t sound like we’re ‘in bed’ with Russia to me:

I don’t disagree, which is why I think it is foolish to blame Obama as part of his official statement.

No question Obama blew it. We’ll see if Trump backs up his dare to go it alone if the UN refuses to act.

The look from the video was that he was answering a question from the media.
And I agree, if you are making an official statement, without prompting you shouldn’t blame previous administrations, which is why it drove me nuts that Obama did it all the time, right to the end of his time in office. “It’s Bush’s fault.” was like a mantra painted on the wall…

1 Like

The UN will refuse to act and we will go it alone. Trump has often said that he will not announce military operations ahead of time. So we will have to wait and see. It’s going to take at least 2 weeks before we know anything, regarding a response.

Not looking to get into a argument over this because it ultimately was Obama’s call, but…

Although Congressional leaders hailed his decision to seek the permission of lawmakers who had been clamoring for a say, the turnabout leaves Mr. Obama at the political mercy of House Republicans, many of whom have opposed him at every turn and have already suggested that Syria’s civil war does not pose a threat to the United States.

No doubt this all started with and most of the blame is to be held by Obama and his oh so strong words, that were never backed up by anything.

It has nothing to do with Trump doing anything wrong. Trying to say it has something to do with one of his tweets is simply ignorant . Give him time and see if he can screw it up as well. But as of now, he is just getting in the game.

Trying to spread the blame is not exactly leadership. He threatened Syria they called him out, he backed off and asked permission to back up his threats. Obama was not a good foreign policy leader

No disagreement here. I just posted that because I was unaware that he had gone to Congress for authorization.

It is not bad that he did that. But before threatening military action, he should have made sure he would do it if called out on it. No wonder they treat us with no respect

They “removed” the chemical weapons the same way there are no “Russian troops” involved in Ukraine.

“If Russia supports it”…maybe that’s why there was a subway bombing in Russia. Maybe things will start to heat up. Who knows.

“not good?” that’s the understatement of the year.

He is far from rare in that part of the world. The other side in that civil war is Isis

I think Obama handled Syria horribly. but it all fairness, when it came to the Syrian conflict. Was Obama supposed to provide Isis with an Air Force?

No. He could have intervened the same way as was done in Libya or Kosovo with or without NATO’s help. Remember, the Red Line threat was made well before Russian military involvement, hence we had a free hand to take out Assad’s military infrastructure at that point.