T Nation

SargeMaximus' Training Log

You’ll have to experiment a little bit. I like to do something in the beginning of every work-out to “un-slump” my shoulders. (scare cross, rear delt raises, Cuban presses). Low weight, short range of motion, controlled moves to get everything feeling good.

Other guys are ready to come in and get right to work on the big stuff.

-It’s good that you are looking forward to getting some work in! I know it’s supposed to be 100% SERIOUS TRAINING, but its fun to get in there, listen to some hype music and get sweaty.

Yeah I love the gym, always have, just need to have something to show for it lol.

Ok, so today I did cardio. It went all right. Here are the results showing how many reps I was able to do in form:

Fat Man Chin Ups: 10-7-6-6-6-5-5-5

Back Raises (this one hurt my “package”, any suggestions on that? Also, I held the pose for 5 seconds and rested for 5 seconds each rep): 5-10-10-10-10-5

Reverse Crunch: 10-10-10-5-5-5-5

This is actually pretty good

1 Like

Thanks man.

So today i did leg day but I left early because I was getting chest pains. I’ve had chest pains my entire life and the doctors insist nothing’s wrong, but I didn’t want to push it. I have a doctor’s appointment in a few weeks for something else so I might as well mention the pains at that time.

Anyhow, I started off doing Leg Extensions: 80lbs per leg: 7-7-7

Then I did Third World Squats.

I wanted to get my form right so i started with 25lbs per side (50lbs total) but on the first rep I had difficulty raising myself up, so I dropped the weight to 10lbs per side (20lbs total) and that went better. I did one set of 5 reps.

While i was resting I stretched and that’s when the pain hit me. Very sharp and sudden but didn’t last. Then i just had random pain throughout my chest. I did one more set and decided to call it quits.

So, that was that.

FRIDAY November 25th

Weight: 161.4lbs

Was Testing: 1920 Cals

Will Test 1920 Cals for the next week as well. If I’m still losing weight, will raise cals.

I did back day today. Definitely went a bit easy on it. I’ll add more weight next time.

Underhanded Pulldowns: 90 lbs 7-7-7

Cable Row: 60 lbs 7-7-7

Lateral Raise: 7-7-7

Straight Arm Pulldowns: 75 lbs 7-7-7

Prone Trap Raise: No machine/thing so didn’t do them. Is there a way to do these without the incline bench?

Deadlifts: 95 lbs 5-5-5

1 Like

Does this include the weight of the bar? Is it 50lbs a side?

No. 25 lbs per side.

I can do more, but since I’ve been having these chest pains with leg exercises, I want to take it easy till I see my doctor.

Bent over (hinge, no hunch) with dumbbells.

1 Like

Assuming you’re using a standard barbell, this would be considered 95lbs. Since the bar isn’t weightless, you should include that in your total…

K, fixed.

So today I did cardio, but not the cardio I did last week. I didn’t do as many. I’ll fix that for next time.

I’m having the most trouble with the back raises cause I always crush my… thingy. Ahem… anyhow, I also tried the yoga ball to stretch out my chest. Maybe I should do that for a general stretch before each workout instead?

I wasn’t able to do the ab roller because the gym doesn’t have one (that I saw) perhaps I’ll buy one or, if you guys have a substitute that will work the same muscles, I’ll do that instead.

Anyhow, here’s what I did today:

Reverse Crunch: 10-10-10-9-6-5

Lower Leg Drill: 5-1-fail (this one was hard)

Swimming (instead of back extension): 10-10-10-10-10

Back/hyper-extension? 90 or 45° angle?

Try resting on your quads so that the pad is below your sensitive area. Your quads may hurt though depending on the pad. Your abs should not touch (at least not hard) the pad on the lowest of the eccentric part.

Two wheeled roller: A short bar (if accessible, 50 mm short bars are rare, but maybe an EZ-bar) with a plate on each side. The larger the plate the harder it will be to roll back.

No, these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9YuQTTc58

I could switch to hyper extensions so long as they work the same muscles.

Genius! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Glad to help!

Hyper and Back ext is not exactly the same as the one you linked, but related. I believe I’d call that a “superman”, but I’d hold my arms straight forward
Hyper ext is with straigth back, you’ll have to bend at your hips like in a straigth DL. If you load up holding a plate you’ll work your back like with the superman, but just isometrical. Without load it will most likely be easy for the back. The hams and glutes should do the dynamic work.
Back ext same exercise, but with a bent torso and less hip movement so it’s like an up-side-down crunch. Recommend only bodyweight for this one as you will be using your erectors dynamically and therefore the core is less stable.

1 Like

K, I’ll try back ext first as my back isn’t that developed yet.

As for yesterday it was chest day, here are my results:

I started with the incline Push-Ups. Went lower this time to setting 14 on the rack: 20-20-11-9

Fly Machine: (70lbs) 7-7-4-fail

Dumbbell Pullovers: (20lbs) 8-8-8

Dumbbell Incline Press: (30lbs) 2-fail

I think those push ups took a lot out of my chest, hence the failure on the incline presses.

K, did core/cardio today.

Fat Man chinups: 10-9-5-5-4-4-4-5

Reverse crunch: 10-10-7-5-7-6-5

Back extension: 6-10-9

Leg Lower Drill (Lower Leg Drill?): 5-3-fail

Still training?

No… I’m afraid to change in the locker room and it’s winter now so I don’t go because it’s too cold to walk wearing just gym stuff.

Also, I might be losing my job soon and am scrambling to find a way to justify my job so that’s kind of stressing me out atm. :frowning:

Not sure if joking? If not, what exactly are you fearful of?

Sounds like hitting the weights is a great way to manage this stress.

How about just wearing your gym clothes under your winter clothes so you can just take layers off instead of changing?