Sarah's Powerlifting Journey

So, I should have started logging my powerlifting endeavors LONG ago. I’m totally someone who likes to get decent at something and then put it out there. I figured this could be a great way to get feedback from different lifters and keep myself a little bit more accountable. I’ve been tracking my workouts a little bit on instagram @squatzilla , but there’s too much that I’m totally leaving out. Check it out if you so feel inclined ;).

I’m 25 years old, obviously a girl. Sitting at an amazing 166lbs and a very impressive 5’2.5" at the moment, doing my first full meet in a week. I did a meet in November, just did bench and deadlift. Did 175 and 340 respectively.

I have dropped quite a bit of weight since 2012, and honestly, kind of fell in love with lifting heavy in the process of my weight loss journey. I usually sit around 150-160, and have been that weight for over a year or so now.

For the upcoming meet, I’m hoping for a Squat of 385, Deadlift of 410, and bench 165. I plan on also doing one in August in the 148 weight class, and goals for that meet will be at least to hit my PR’s at the meet on Saturday that I’m doing the 165 weight class.

You must know I am completely obsessed with cheeseburgers and food based apparel.

This week is a deload week for me leading up to the meet, but went to do my squat and deadlift openers to make sure Iâ??m fully comfortable with them today. Worked up to 375 on my deadlift for 2 singles, also worked up to 350 for a single on squats. Opening with a 135 bench, 340 squat and a 375 dead.

I was able to use a monolift for the first time as well, and wore my singlet to lift in…

I will hit the gym at least one more day this week for a super light day. Also getting a massage tomorrow, I truly feel like I deserve it, and hope it will help on meet day.

AY GIRL I BET YOU LIFT WITH SOME JACKED SEXY SUPER STRONG ADONIS MALE SPECIMINZ

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:
AY GIRL I BET YOU LIFT WITH SOME JACKED SEXY SUPER STRONG ADONIS MALE SPECIMINZ[/quote]

I LIFT ONLY WITH THE MOST MANLY OF MEN.

Today was decent, didn’t work out, but woke up at 164.6lb. PRETTY AWESOME. Ate a bunch of quest bars today, oatmeal, and some eggs, and pretzels and peanut butter, and some candy. NOT too terribly crappy.

Massage was a slight let down, as the massage therapist definitely was a smoker and it was slightly unenjoyable just for that part alone. DON’T SMOKE, IT STINKZ. Heading to the gym tomorrow for a super light day, may work up to 80lb on bench, 135 on dead and squat for a few reps.

Wow. You are one strong young lady! I would love to see some of your lifting videos.

Well thanks! And your wish is my command…

Hit the gym for some lighter squat/bench/deads for deload. My back is definitely tight so I’m 100% sure taking the rest of the week off .

Squat - Bar x 10
135x8 x 3
These were as deep as I could go. Also I turned away from the mirror because usually I squat towards it and I need to get used to not having that . Uploaded a video

Bench- Bar x 10
65x8
85x6

Easy peasy

Deadlift - 135 x 8 x 2
195 x 6

Woke up right on point @ 165, but had 2 giant cheeseburgers today. Had a team dinner with my coworkers and everyone was Boozing it up. Still had a good time out though. The burger game… https://instagram.com/p/1eb_T1jzr9/

Girl can squat. Damn. I just checked out your instagram. Keep up the good work! It’s great to see another female powerlifter logging in here. :slight_smile:

[quote]Babypowerlifter wrote:
Girl can squat. Damn. I just checked out your instagram. Keep up the good work! It’s great to see another female powerlifter logging in here. :)[/quote]

Thanks girl! Thanks for stopping in, I’m sure we will be supporting each others rockstar endeavors!

MEET DAY FINALLY CAME!!!

Weighed in on saturday, at 164.4, no water cut, no not eating, or anything crazy. Just did moderate low carbs that day. This is why, I will be competing at 148 moving forward.

Fell asleep around 10 on friday, slept until about 12:30, couldn’t fall back asleep until 3:30, and before you know it, it’s 6am, and I had to get up. Felt pretty tired on the drive down, until anxiety and adrenaline decided to show up.

A few of my buddies were competing including one of our fellow forum members, who may or may not have grabbed the wrong nose torque for my final attempt deadlift :wink:

Opened with 340 on squat felt super easy, pretty much pause squatted. Second attempt was an easy 360, and third was 385, which wasn’t a grinder either. Had more in the tank for sure.

Bench was next, obviously, 135 opener was a breeze, didn’t realize you had to ask them to unrack it for you, so I did it myself. Second one was 155, got Danny to help me with that, was a breeze too.
Originally was just going to go for 160, but decided to do 170, got the weight up, but forgot to wait for the rack command…

Deadlift had my nerves all kinds of crazy, this is what I came to do, I came to pull 405! 355, and 385, flew right up, and 405 wasn’t even a grinder either, even with no nose candy.

I tried to grind out 415 in the warm up area after, but could only get it a few inches off the ground.

I can’t believe what a fantastic day I had on Saturday. Met lots of new powerlifters, and made a friend with a young lady who is an absolute animal at lifting. I had fun screaming in support of all my other friends lifting too. The energy at a meet is just KILLER. I can’t wait for August 22nd, to rock some more PR’S out, but not really looking forward to my cut starting… MONDAY, TOMORROW :frowning:

Got first in my weight class, with a total of 945, and got a trophy for best female lifter as well.

Squat 385 - Sarah Cattan on Instagram: "385 raw squat!!! 20 lb #PR !!!!!!!!! After an easy opener of 340, and a second of 360. The intensity on my face is absolutely priceless. #battleofthebluegrass #heavysquats #girlswhopowerlift #shesquats #girlswhosquat #squatzilla #shesquatsbro #fueledbyoreos #dyel #mirin #ironrebelpowergear #thesoxbox #shelifts #quads #blondie #kystrong #powerlifting #femalepowerlifting #strongher #victorydance #lbeb"
Bench 155 - Sarah Cattan on Instagram: "155! Here it is, pretty easy. I haven't really started arching yet. The two times I've tried I've got horrible cramps. I got 170 up as well, but forgot to wait for the rack call. Whooops 😂. Think I definitely have some more potential in bench fa sho. #girlswhopowerlift #howmuchyabench #squatzilla #elite #dyel #mirin #ironrebelpowergear #thesoxbox #shelifts #quads #blondie #kystrong #powerlifting #quadzilla #strongfemales #battleofthebluegrass #femalepowerlifting"
Deadlift 405- Sarah Cattan on Instagram: "405!!! 10 lb #PR This right here was supposed to be an end of year goal... It happened on April 18th, 4.75 months in. at the #battleofthebluegrass hosted by @ironmafia_4brosgym, I could not be more excited to be in the four plate club!! Next goal.... 425 by August in a lower weight class... And better form.. #405 #deadlift #girlswhopowerlift #shesquats #squatzilla #elite #dyel #mirin #ironrebelpowergear #thesoxbox #shelifts #quads #blondie #kystrong #powerlifting #quadzilla #strongisthenewskinny #itstheoreos #theyadd50lbs"

Super impressive. Love the vids. Your energy is great. Neither of those lifts looked like maxes to me. You’ve got so much left. Will be fun to see your journey.

Enjoying this log already and will be following for sure. Youâ??re putting up some very solid numbers and write well too - makes for good reading :slight_smile: Rob

Congrats on the meet. I’m enjoying your log.

SO IMPRESSED!!! Very fun to see your lifts, AND your body comp progress - Wow. Doing it right!

WHOOT!

Puff

In

Nice job! All of those lifts were super solid! :slight_smile:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Super impressive. Love the vids. Your energy is great. Neither of those lifts looked like maxes to me. You’ve got so much left. Will be fun to see your journey.[/quote]

I appreciate it! I’ve got so much energy and it’s amplified in a meet setting for sure! If they had an award for most energetic, I would have won that too :wink:

[quote]justrob wrote:
Enjoying this log already and will be following for sure. Youâ??re putting up some very solid numbers and write well too - makes for good reading :slight_smile: Rob[/quote]

Rob, thanks for the support!

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
SO IMPRESSED!!! Very fun to see your lifts, AND your body comp progress - Wow. Doing it right!

WHOOT!

Puff[/quote]

Thanks Powerpuff! I’ve been killing it for awhile, and had to add some mass to get some heavy weights pumpin, but the cut started today, so be prepared to watch it really change.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
In[/quote]

YOU BETTER BE!! … i’m only kind of teasing.

[quote]Babypowerlifter wrote:
Nice job! All of those lifts were super solid! :slight_smile: [/quote]

Thank you!

So yesterday, I woke up pretty sore, but I had also had a few drinks on Saturday night too, to celebrate of course, probably did not help.

I went to the gym to foam roll and Sauna with my new friend Kelsey on Sunday who I met at the meet, she’s 17 years old and did 315/155/405, and then pulled 420 in the warm up area. BEAST! It’s great to be surrounded and friends with that have the same interests as you. Especially a female, as there aren’t many of us, so its nice she’s decently close by.

Today, I woke up moderately sore as well, so I popped some ibuprofen this morning. Feeling decent and will probably get back at the gym tomorrow. I don’t really have any kind of plan at this point, but shall figure it out.

I also started tracking my macro’s today, aiming for 44f/200c/200p, about 2000kcal. I ended up with 53f/108c/172p for a total of 1577, but I eyeball most things, so it could be slightly off, but I’m decently good at it I think. Today was a non training day so I think that’s acceptable, plus I’m obviously motivated and ready to get the ball rollin. Forum member Heavytriple and I are going to keep each other accountable on this cut, but I’m sure i’m the one who will need to be put in check… I love those donuts and OREOS! HAHA

I was 164 when I woke up this morning and to be competitive at the 148 class, I think my bodyweight should hover around 154-156 so thats what I will try to get down to, and then again Danny is going to help me with all dis diet STUFF, especially since the goal is to get stronger in the new weight class. CAN’T WAIT until my next meet, but I’ve got a LOT of work to put in.

Hi there. Nice job on the meet. Those are great numbers and all the lifts looked solid.

Good luck on the cut. I just did one myself as I had a really tough time making weight at my last meet. It’s worth cutting a bit now to avoid the stress later.