T Nation

Sarah Palin's Speech

Most political experts, both liberal and conservative, seem to agree that they cannot remember a more important speech by the VP candidate.

As I type this, her speech is about 1/2 hour away.

I thought I would get the thread stated so that we wouldn’t have three to four threads on the same topic.

Mufasa

Brilliant so far. Well written and delivered, but a partisan spectacle nonetheless.

EDIT: Right about now Obama is bent over with Sarah Palin,s steel toes in his nads. I’m not even sure how great an idea a couple of those were.

That’s gonna be a Gordie Howe hat trick right there.

She did great. Again, showed the fact she’s got more balls than the others combined. It did a great job of showing backbone without looking like all the personal attacks had really gottern to her. Watch the liberal meltdown tomorrow. Lipstick…priceless.

She has more of a set of nuts than Obama does. She’d kick his ass in a fight, for sure.

Guliani before her was impressive also.

Ole’ “Give 'Em Hell Harry”

Well.

As an Independent voter, I think Obama and Biden were spanked pretty good; first by Guliani then by Palin.

One of the things that kept running through my mind was how poorly Pelosi and Biden will “sound” and “feel” against Palin. I don’t think that Biden will fare well in the debates and Pelosi, if McCain is elected, will sound VERY harsh and whiney against the VP Palin.

I’m somewhat of a “closet Historian”, and one of my “heroes” (I wrote a couple of papers on him in College and have studied him extensively) was Harry Truman.

Palin brought him up early in the speech; and its funny. I remember earlier this week thinking (while reading Palin’s resume) how she sounded a bit like 'ole “Give 'em Hell Harry”. Needless to say, when she brought up Truman, I was going to listen to her speech from beginning to end.

It’s time to get this all over, and bring on the Debates.

As of THIS round (the conventions):

McCain /Palin: 1

Obama/Biden: 0

Let’s discuss.

Mufasa

You’re callin it a little early there boss. We still have the honcho tomorrow.

Sarah Palin is untouchable.

After the weekend that the media had with her, to deliver a speech like this, there isn’t anything left to throw at her. If the liberals try, all they will end up doing is distancing themselves from the American people, as Palin has clearly shown that she is the only one on either ticket that is even close to being an average person.

I can’t wait until the VP debates. Biden has absolutely nothing. Even if he “wins” the debate, he is at such a disadvantage that he can only hurt himself by talking. It will be nearly impossible for him to out debate her without coming off as condescending, given the political correctness of today’s society. Any argument against this All-American Woman will only further himself from the rest of America.

Sarah Palin is exactly what level-headed America wants. Smart, pretty, down-to-earth, a bit sassy, and not afraid to wear a skirt.

Congratulations to John McCain. I’m not going to give him the victory yet, but he definitely made the right choice for VP. There is no way that Pawlenty of Romney could rally people like Sarah will. And as much as I disagree with it, America is tired of seeing white males in the white house. Palin is the perfect solution to this.

She has done one thing for me that would have been near impossible for Romney, and very unlikely with Pawlenty, and that is getting myself behind John McCain. I dare say that I am not the only one in that position.

I’m readin’ ya, Tirib.

But what more is McCain going to add?

Remember. McCain’s own supporters say that he is not the greatest orator; and listening to him on the stump, with that droll monotone, doesn’t exactly make you want to shout HALLALUJAH !!!

So, while I will certainly listen and tape his speech (as I’ve done with Obama and Palin); I don’t EXPECT a lot new.

Mufasa

The speech was pretty damn good. I think it has tightened up the race pretty well, and given a tad more momentum to the Republicans…at this point anyway.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
I’m readin’ ya, Tirib.

Remember. McCain’s own supporters say that he is not the greatest orator; and listening to him on the stump, with that droll monotone, doesn’t exactly make you want to shout HALLALUJAH !!!

So, while I will certainly listen and tape his speech (as I’ve done with Obama and Palin); I don’t EXPECT a lot new.

Mufasa[/quote]

“My friends, I was a foot-soldier in the Reagan revolution.”

(For some reason, this pic of Harry didn’t appear in my earlier post).

If you haven’t read about the man and the tough decisions he had to make, you need to.

Again; when Palin mentioned Truman early, she had me at ‘Hello’…

(Okay…corny…but you get my drift!)

Mufasa

I understand what a lot of you are saying; 2 months is an ETERNITY in politics.

I’m only saying where I feel things are AT THIS POINT.

I just don’t see the DEMS gaining much in the debates. (Especially the VP debate).

If MaCain wins this election, I think that everyone will have to agree that picking Palin was simply a brilliant political move.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
I’m readin’ ya, Tirib.

Mufasa[/quote]

See that’s the point. The better she did the higher the standard for Mccain who reminds me a little bit of Dole in that he is very qualified, somewhat similar story, but not necessarily good at translating that into elocution or even great campaigning though I think Mccain is better than Dole. Dole could be pretty funny though sometimes, but I guess Mccain can too to a degree.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Stuff about Truman…
Mufasa[/quote]

IMHO, the toughest decision a president made in the 20th century was Truman deciding to nuke Japan. I’m no expert on the details, but from what I think I understand, I agree and respect him for it.

I’m sure McCain knows that he has some tough acts to follow.

His job will be to just keep the momentum.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
I’m sure McCain knows that he has some tough acts to follow.

His job will be to just keep the momentum.

Mufasa[/quote]

All he has to do is manage to ride the wave and stay on top of it.

I will say if the ultra left wing hit squad in the media keeps it up they will create sympathy for here and produce a possibly sizable backlash.

What ever bounce Obama and Biden received last week will be gone tomorrow.

I have been listening to these conventions for 24 years. Palin’s speech was the best I have ever heard.

The way she looked the media in the eye and basically said, “fuck off” was probably one of the greatest moments I have ever witnessed in a speech.

The funny part is, the CNN. MSNBC talking heads were incredulous. They are going to play right into her hands.

Simply masterful.

I thought that her speech was very unprofessional, and relied too heavily on inductive reasoning. I agreed with a couple of things that she said, but the overwhelmingly majority of it was irrelevant gibberish.

It was an excellent speech from a ‘my team is better than your team’ standpoint. But actual content about the hows and whys(from a deductive standpoint) was lacking for the majority of the time.

All in all, this( and Obama’s speech) is meaningless until debates.