T Nation

Sarah Palin - Guilty as Charged!

Not that it means anything, a bi-partisan committee found Sarah Palin guilty of abusing her power and authority as Alaska Governor. Of course there is no punishment or fine so its the same symbolic hand-slapping Clinton got (although he was impeached, not that anything changed).

Gov. Palin knowingly "permitted Todd to use the governor's office and the resources of the governor's office, including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired," Branchflower's report reads.

No wonder she thinks Cheney is a role model. She should have a great time as V.P.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27105917/

Read the report here:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Interactives/Politics/Election2008/branchflower_report_to_the_legislative_council.pdf

Meanwhile the McCain campign dismissed this as a partisan attack.

When asked about it, John McCain replied "This is nothing, have you heard about Obama and Ayers?"

The trooper tasered his 10 year old stepson. His superior let him continue on the job, carrying a taser and gun in public as a cop. Would you not try to fire them both?

Compare that with Hillary and 'Travelgate'. Jeez you libs are idiots.

This just puts her in the boat with the rest of them. She lied when she indicated is was all done for budgetary purposes. Although the report states she fired him within her rights as a Gov., it also stated she had personal reasons, which violated public trust. This is breaking the state law.

It shows a vindictive side of her, (which others have as well ) but it was exposed. It seems she stated at one time she feared for her families safety, yet she removed/reduced the security force assigned to her. Apparently there are a lot of discrepancies in the report as to what the Palins said publicly and what was done. I don't think a Gov. should be allowed to give their spouses or other family members access and power of the Gov office !

Now she wants to throw out that study and have the Dept. of Personnel board do a 'real' study. Funny how a lot of the members of that board were appointed by her. And all along the campaign was getting lawyers to try to squash this. Thank goodness for the Alaska Supreme court.

I believe she can get impeached if the Legislature goes that route, although it is highly unlikely due to it being mostly Republicans.

I like McCain, but when he picked her, I soured.

Her credibility is now shot, and those who once thought of her as a fresh face have to take a step back and think again. It's politics as usual.

A Washington Insider afterall..?

No worries... she'll just wink a couple of times and it will all go away.

Branchflower: Gov. Palin, did you knowingly permit Todd to use the governor's office and the resources of the governor's office, including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired?

Palin: "Well, doncha know, this was Putin's fault for rearing his ugle moose head in my back yard. Trooper Wooten, because he can see Russia from my backyard, was involved in activities that my family didn't like that were probably funded by Iran. So.... ugg...I'll get back to ya, doncha know."

(Whole world watches, collectively swallows shotgun... again).

God please put this pig out her misery, fucking moronic cunt waste of air.

Whatever. What she did is not THAT bad. It's what many if not most politicians do.

It's just not what a fiscally conservative, maverick reformer would do. But then we don't have any of those in this election. So, no news here.

Yeah, this doesnt mean much to me. Her stunning ignorance and pathological lying are more serious issues

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

She has the power to fire anyone she wants when that person is hired AT WILL. That type of hiring is applicable to just about every job in America.

Your boss can fire you if he doesn't like you. Or if his or her spouse bitched at them that morning before they left for work and now they're in a bad mood. Or if he wants to give his best friend your job. IT DOESN'T MATTER.

She probably was doing the guy a favor so his resume wouldn't look like he was fired for defending a guy who tasered a kid. Here's her reward for being kind hearted.

Good post.

Remember how Klinton cleaned out the Justice Department when he came into office? Pink slips left and right.

Who she hires and fires is her private business only if she does it on her time and money.

If she uses the money and power given to her by the American taxpayer to pursue petty little private feuds it becomes an issue.

Not much of an issue, though. Unless you are a rabid Palin-hater - then she should be impeached.

I do not know what is much of an issue in this campaign.

Somehow I would have thought that two wars that have cost around 1 trillion and an economy that continues to decline after the biggest attempt to stabilize the market in history failed would be an issue.

Or the patriot act, or Guantanamo, or people dying at the hands of the TSA without making traveling safer or the militarization of the police or anything that really matters.

Seen that way, nothing Palin said or did matters, she is not qualified.

Period.

I would be nice if people refused to discuss the color of their blindfold for once and questioned the need to blindfold them.

I don't know why the argument should be about Palin in the first place.

But it is.

Obama is woefully unqualified and he would be the one running the show. Why is the uproar over Palin, and not Che-Bama?

War spending pales in comparison to social spending. The war is not as controversial as those looking in from the outside want it to be, especially when compared to the amount of money that has either already been spent, or is proposed to be spent on the credit crunch. Financial "crisis" spending exceeded the entire cost of the war in less than a month.

I don't know that Europe is any better with their economies. The Euro is in a free fall, and banks are closing over there at a rate equal to if not greater than the US.

The rest of your post may be true. There are some arguments for it. But finanical 'crisis' spending between these parties is a wash. Considering both tickets supported it.

I wasn't comparing parties. Orion mentioned that the cost of the war should be more of a concern for voters. I was trying to show that war spending has been dwarfed by this bail out bullshit in less than a month.

Yes, both parties are horribly guilty of both war spending and the bailout.

Ok.

Like I stated earlier, to me it just puts her in the boat with the rest of them.

I do wonder, based on some evidence of abuse of power (anyway you slice this thing, she is the Gov, which bears ultimate responsibility whether she did it directly, or whether her husband or staffers applied pressure), that her statement at the debate about increasing the VP's power does raise a question in my mind.

Does she have other agendas ?

I really do not trust her (along with the other 3 !!).

Life just keeps better as the truth leaks through the protective walls.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27134586/

AP Associated Press

WASILLA, Alaska - The camera closes in on Sarah Palin speaking to young missionaries, vowing from the pulpit to do her part to implement God's will from the governor's office.
What she didn't tell worshippers gathered at the Wasilla Assembly of God church in her hometown was that her appearance that day came courtesy of Alaskan taxpayers, who picked up the $639.50 tab for her airplane tickets and per diem fees.

An Associated Press review of the Republican vice presidential candidate's record as mayor and governor reveals her use of elected office to promote religious causes, sometimes at taxpayer expense and in ways that blur the line between church and state.

Since she took state office in late 2006, the governor and her family have spent more than $13,000 in taxpayer funds to attend at least 10 religious events and meetings with Christian pastors, including Franklin Graham, the son of evangelical preacher Billy Graham, records show.

Palin was baptized Roman Catholic as a newborn and baptized again in a Pentecostal Assemblies of God church when she was a teenager. She has worshipped at a nondenominational Bible church since 2002, opposes abortion even in cases of rape and incest and supports classroom discussions about creationism.