Santorum's Career Suicide Mission

[quote]Bambi wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
When a candidate wins a state he is not guaranteed to get any delegates that will support him at the convention.

Delegates must show up and volunteer to go to the convention.

Moreover, delegates do not have to support the winner of the popular vote or even the candidate they say they are supporting - they can change their mind when they get to the convention.

That is all.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m aware of that Lifty. But if you are insinuating that Santorum is going to try to win the nomination by stealing Romney’s delegates after the people have spoken I think you’re off base. Granted Santorum has a healthy ego (they all do), but he’s not an idiot. To even try such a stunt would be political suicide. If he ever pulled it off (which is a million to one) he’d get crushed by Obama.

But thanks for contributing to the thread.

I’ll give you a better prediction, Santorum loses and then has a very minimal role at the convention. [/quote]

Just sayin’, delegates have not been counted yet because the convention hasn’t happened yet.

In a brokered convention, gasp, even Ron Paul has a shot. And he is going to get lots of attention there if the GOB knows what’s best for it.

I have heard tales of some RP supporters going to caucuses and if some other candidate wins they stick around and volunteer to be a delegate. :slight_smile:

Darn, those Paultards sure are dumb! :p[/quote]

While Ron Paul was NEVER a factor in the nominating process (as I predicted) he will be, and has already been courted by Mitt Romney. Paul’s supporters are absolutely needed to carry Romney to victory. I don’t think that there is any question that Paul will play a major role at the convention. And no doubt will be in line for an important cabinet post should Romney be fortunate enough to win. [/quote]

Ron or Rand?
[/quote]

Good point, could be both.

Why would I bet about Santorum endorsing Romney? It’s not even a part of my thought process. It won’t sway me, or save Romney. It’s a total non-factor in my consideration.

Romney…Charisma? Zeb, are you serious?!

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Why would I bet about Santorum endorsing Romney? It’s not even a part of my thought process. It won’t sway me, or save Romney. It’s a total non-factor in my consideration. [/quote]

I understand that YOU cannot be swayed by anything that can possibly happen. You’ve proven to be stubborn on this point, so no problem. The reason that I mentioned it was to point out that while Rick Santorum is playing unreasonable hardball now, to his own detriment, in the end he will do something that you are incapable of doing. He will endorse Santorum because that is how the game is played. It’s merely one more political prediction.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Romney…Charisma? Zeb, are you serious?![/quote]

Absolutely!

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

Absolutely![/quote]

Why do you say these kind of things? Nobody honestly thinks the man has a drop of charisma in his body. Hell, I think he’s got higher unfavorables than McCain did at this point. C’mon, I get it, you support him. But, let’s not get silly. Charisma?!

C’mon, but seriously. Romney is the guy with the money and organization in place that people will most likely resign themselves to. Hoping his VP pick might, might, provide the enthusiasm he can’t muster.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
I think that it’s an enormous ego, Zeb.

This has been magnified by being pumped up as being the only “true” conservative.

Speaking of 2016; there is the real possibility that the GOP candidate will be facing a juggernaut named Hillary Clinton.

Mufasa[/quote]

By 2016 the GoP will be running Hillary Clinton to attract the ‘moderates.’

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

Absolutely![/quote]

Why do you say these kind of things? Nobody honestly thinks the man has a drop of charisma in his body. Hell, I think he’s got higher unfavorables than McCain did at this point. C’mon, I get it, you support him. But, let’s not get silly. Charisma?![/quote]

You are accusing me of not having what you lack — Objectivity. Keep in mind I am not the purist here. From the beginning I only wanted a republican who I thought could win. And the only one that has a chance is Romney.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
C’mon, but seriously. Romney is the guy with the money and organization in place that people will most likely resign themselves to. Hoping his VP pick might, might, provide the enthusiasm he can’t muster. [/quote]

That’s actually what Presidential tickets are all about. It’s called “balancing” the ticket for a reason. When Bush (41) picked Dan Quayle they did so because he was young, conservative and energetic. Of course the press sliced him and diced ala Sarah Palin. But nonetheless it was a move to balance Bush.

By the way, you will see Romney pick a very staunch conservative.

Depends on how you define ‘purist.’ If your singular issue is winning, that’s rather ‘purist.’ And no, you abandoned objectivity. And that’s fine, to a point. But when you’re actually saying Romney, ROMNEY!, has Charisma…That goes too far.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Depends on how you define ‘purist.’ If your singular issue is winning, that’s rather ‘purist.’ And no, you abandoned objectivity. And that’s fine, to a point. But when you’re actually saying Romney, ROMNEY!, has Charisma…That goes too far.[/quote]

Well, if one were to call Central casting and wanted a man who looked Presidential the guy who would show up would be Mitt Romney out of the declared candidates. If you don’t think that then it is YOU who lack objectivity because you hate Romney. I neither hate Romney or love him I merely look at him as a means to an end. If someone better declared their candidacy (early on)who I thought could beat Obama I would have been for that person.

Whereas you seemed to want to only settle on the perfect conservative. And I’ve gotten the idea over the months that were not all that happy with Santorum, but he was the closest thing you had to the ideal conservative. I could be wrong there and feel free to correct me.

You see we each approached the issue from different ends.

Me to win and beat Obama.

You to find a candidate the best represents your interests.

Nothing wrong with either thought process. Just making a point that it is I who am objective when looking at Romney.

[quote]groo wrote:

Good clip groo - Pennsylvania will be Santorum’s Waterloo!

[quote]Sloth wrote:
After Romney loses, the only question will be, 'are we done running the Doles, McCains, And Romneys of the party?" Nobody worth paying attention to is going to blame shoe-string budget Santorum. If Santorum could cost Romney the election against Obama, imagine what the Obama machine is going to do to Romney against Obama. [/quote]

^^What he said. And I’ve said it myself.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
But if you are insinuating that Santorum is going to try to win the nomination by stealing Romney’s delegates after the people have spoken I think you’re off base.

[/quote]

But the people aren’t speaking are they? Record low turn outs and Romney has only been getting 41% of the Republican vote. Something’s not right is it?

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
But if you are insinuating that Santorum is going to try to win the nomination by stealing Romney’s delegates after the people have spoken I think you’re off base.

[/quote]

But the people aren’t speaking are they? Record low turn outs and Romney has only been getting 41% of the Republican vote. Something’s not right is it?[/quote]

Yeah, good point, since there was not a huge turnout then of course the voters who did turn out and voted for Romney deserve to have their vote over turned at the convention.

(Eye Roll)

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

But the people aren’t speaking are they? Record low turn outs and Romney has only been getting 41% of the Republican vote. Something’s not right is it?[/quote]

Yeah, good point, since there was not a huge turnout then of course the voters who did turn out and voted for Romney deserve to have their vote over turned at the convention.

(Eye Roll)[/quote]

That’s not what I meant. I meant, so far Romney has only garnered 41% of the Republican vote - at huge expense, yet everyone is supposed to rally around him. 61% of Republicans have already said they don’t want him - masses more haven’t bothered to turn out because they’ve been through all this before with Dole and McCain and they’ve had enough of RINOs. You are the one saying the “people have spoken” - Republicans have spoken and they don’t like Romney. So stop the rally 'round the RINO bullshit.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

(Eye Roll)[/quote]

That’s not what I meant. I meant, so far Romney has only garnered 41% of the Republican vote - at huge expense, yet everyone is supposed to rally around him. 61% of Republicans have already said they don’t want him - masses more haven’t bothered to turn out because they’ve been through all this before with Dole and McCain and they’ve had enough of RINOs. You are the one saying the “people have spoken” - Republicans have spoken and they don’t like Romney. So stop the rally 'round the RINO bullshit.[/quote]

Oh my gosh…don’t you understand that 41% of the vote is actually good? Let me explain to you how primaries work. When you have 4 or 5 candidates in a race the lead candidate will be lucky to get 30% or more of the vote. The winner of any primary in either party is NEVER EVER going to have a majority of the vote when there are multiple candidates in a race. This has held true in almost every primary that has been run since 1960. The republican primary this time around is no exception. Stop thinking that it is – IT IS NOT!

This has nothing to do with “RINO” this and “RINO” that this is all nonsense. I know in your mind it does but in reality IT DOES NOT! Did you notice that Santorum and the others combined don’t have as many delegates as Romney? Don’t you think if the republican’s wanted someone else they’d have voted for someone else? You bash Romney as not being wanted by republicans yet he has almost 1.2 million more votes than the others. Does that mean that the republicans hated the others even more? Nonsense!

Elections are won by people who are neither far left or far right. And it is always difficult to win a primary when you are neither because the far left in the democratic party and the far right in the republican party come out to vote in the primary. Most republicans (and democrats) actually stay home and wait for the general election. And in the general election it’s the candidate who can capture the center that is able to win (all other factors being equal of course).

Republicans have spoken and out of the four remaining candidates Romney is the clear favorite. Stop putting the Chris Matthews spin on the facts. And do some reading on hard fought primaries from history. Begin with the 1960 Presidential primary and work your way up to what is going on today and you’ll have a far better understanding of what is happening with Romney. Why he’s doing fine and why he could potentially beat Obama.

I don’t know what else to tell you other than that. You have put out a ton of disinformation, not on purpose but because you are mistaken regarding how primaries are run. But whatever you do STOP listening to the mainstream liberal media they want Romney to lose and will say anything to cause that to happen.

Please read up on historical political primaries and you’ll get a far better sense of what is actually happening.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

Doesn’t this speak more to the candidate pool as a whole?

If there are record low turnouts I would say they don’t like ANY of the candidates.