Santa: How Did You Find Out?

How did you find out the truth about Santa Claus?

I was about five years old, and my older sister (7 at the time) told me the truth. I didn’t want to believe her, but Christmas night, I looked out my bedroom window and saw my parents unloading the trunk of their car.

I wouldn’t say I was devastated or anything. It was pretty cool, knowing that all our gifts were in the unlocked trunk, for future years.

What about you?

I found out in third grade. I think my parents finally told me the news. My reaction was similar to yours. I was glad to cut out the middle man.

With my kids, however, I’m trying to keep it going as long as possible. I want to keep the magic.

My older daughter found out in grade 5 but I still do a stocking for her. Last year (grade 8) she said you know you’re growing up when santa brings you bikinis instead of briefs.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
How did you find out the truth about Santa Claus?

[/quote]

What truth?

I’m a Jew.

My parents discouraged belief in Santa when I was a child. Christmas was about the Good Lord. Besides, why give a fictional fat guy all the credit for the sweet stuff you give your kids?

South Korea, Christine?

Do they have Santa over there?

Anyway, I found the receipt in the box after I unwrapped the gift.

I kept my mouth shut for a couple of years since Santa would always give me an extra present on top of what my parents gave me.

My parents kept telling me about Santa but I never believed it. Finally when I was about 3 or 4 my mom was explaining to me, again, how Santa came down the chimney and the whole story and she said I just looked at her and said “prove it”. She said she knew then that was no use in trying to keep it going.

My parents never told me about Santa Claus. They are very religious and told me that Jesus brought the presents. My friend in grade 4 told me it wasn’t true and that it was actually our parents. My mom was driving us to school at the time and she pulled me aside after and told me the truth. I wasn’t too surprised by it.

Well I found out when I was 6. I went to school with alot of Jewish kids and when they asked their parents how come Santa didn’t come to them the parents told them Santa wasn’t real. It spread like wildfire to say the least.

I was 6-7 and I asked my Mom. She never wanted to lie to me, so she told me the truth. I had a feeling it was all a hoax. Amazing what kids will believe if you tell them something early enough :wink:

Oh, in Oz there aren’t a lot of chimneys.

We left the front door unlocked with a cold beer for him right next to it.

That makes me chortle thinking about that now.

[quote]tootles27 wrote:
Well I found out when I was 6. I went to school with alot of Jewish kids and when they asked their parents how come Santa didn’t come to them the parents told them Santa wasn’t real. It spread like wildfire to say the least.[/quote]

Those bastard Jew kids! Ruining it for you.

I don’t remember how old I was, but when I’d leave cookies out for Santa, he’d always leave a thank you note. I noticed that Santa and my Dad had the same handwriting.

Another time that my Dad dressed up as Santa, my Mom kept calling him by his real name instead of “Santa”. Way to keep up the ruse, Mom.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I don’t remember how old I was, but when I’d leave cookies out for Santa, he’d always leave a thank you note. I noticed that Santa and my Dad had the same handwriting.

Another time that my Dad dressed up as Santa, my Mom kept calling him by his real name instead of “Santa”. Way to keep up the ruse, Mom.

[/quote]

I don’t know WHY but I picture your mom and dad as elderly Vaders.

[quote]jchenky wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I don’t know WHY but I picture your mom and dad as elderly Vaders.

[/quote]

I’m watching Revenge of the Sith right now, and it’s suddenly funny.

Santa and my mom had the same handwriting, as well. We still get gifts from “Santa,” and I’m really not sure why. The parents give us the cool stuff. Santa gives us stuff like nuclear winter trail mix and toothbrush heads.

I still see a therapist twice a week

I was 6. I was just outside playing and thinking how much I couldn’t wait for Christmas…all of a sudden Santa just kinda seemed like bullshit.

Oddly enough it was about July when I made this revelation.

I knew the Santa thing was bullshit from the beginning.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
[/quote]

Same thing happened to me. Santa also had the same voice as my dad on the messages he left on the answering machine.

Good thing for me is that my sister is 8 years younger than me so I was getting gifts from Santa for a while after I found out to keep the secret going for her.

I miss those X-mas eves when I don’t think I could sleep more than 1 hour.

I stayed home from school sick and heard it on daytime television. The Phil Donahue show, lol. A sad day. Yep I’m old.