Samul's Training and Nutrition Log

Speaking of my squat, I think @T3hPwnisher should start fearing somebody might take his spot for the worst looking squat away from him, haha.

I honestly always looked at videos of my squat from the side. The bits where you see me from the back in this video highlight how uneven my hips are (my doctor used to be concerned with my legs possibly having different lengths when I was a kid, but it was later ruled a hip positioning problem rather than bone length) and how there’s some twisting going on. Hopefully this won’t become a problem later on with the wear and tear on tissues due to the torque, after thousands of reps done like this.

I honestly don’t know how I’d go about it if I wanted to fix it. From my perspective it doesn’t feel like I’m badly set up while squatting.

The get thing looks like a copy-paste problem but you know you are supposed to ask the tutor and/or “professor” when the instructions are unclear?

Sharing presumably means read access. Not removal privileges. However, depending on E they might mutate its contents as they get a reference to it which is why I originally thought the copy method was there, I. E. To give someone you hare it with a copy that’s theirs but copy doesn’t have a return value.

You should send an email to whomever is the most appropriate recipient with a numbered list of your questions

@Voxel

quick program I made yesterday, after covering shortest path trees in our Mathematical Programming class. If you want to take a look, you’re welcome to.

See, I’m more than motivated to code in python haha, it’s java that doesn’t cut it for me. I’ll start putting in serious work with it from now on.

Squat 122 kg / 270 lb x 9,8,8
Leg extension 2 sets + double dropset
Leg curl 3 sets + double dropset

Man, the squats sucked. I did get in one more set than last week at the same weight and reps, so that is a big win, but they sucked so bad.

On the last set, I went into the last rep not believing it enough, I lost speed mid way, and basically good morning’d the last portion. That’s the closest I’ve been to failing a squat that I can remember of. As soon as the set was over, a terrible headache kicked in.

I still have it now that I’m home. It’s worst in the middle of my forehead, right above my nose, but the pain is really all around the forehead. I’m not trying to bitch about it, but it’s pretty annoying. It probably has to do with pressure due to holding my breath or really exerting myself on those last reps.

Other symptoms I’m getting right now, like burning lungs and nausea, well they’re pretty typical of squats so no eyebrows raised there.

Anybody ever gets such a bad headache after squatting?

1 Like

Well you went balls out it can have that effect! Nice job!
I don’t have as violent of reactions but yeah last squat session I felt really drained, a tiny bit dizzy, and I can have some big headaches

I experienced a terrible exertion headache a long time ago while squatting, happened as I was finishing a very difficult set.

I think I stopped the workout and had to go home afterwards. Felt shitty the entire day.

I think @dagill2 might have a Dan John quote for you about doing the thing you suck at.

It’s fine work, I wouldn’t give it a pass though. In get_nodes you shadow the variable n. You should run your python code through a linter like flake8.

I’d also have you decouple input from get_edges so that you could write tests for your application.

If I were your tutor I’d ask if you knew if there is any cost to importing inside functions (there isn’t) however it is more efficient to import more exactly (however, that has a maintenance burden sometimes)

import queue
    q = queue.Queue()

The above is less performant than

from queue import Queue
    q = Queue()

Not that it matters here but I do this to coax students into questioning things more actively as they progress as they know I’ll be “harassing” them.

If I was teaching the course I’d not accept any object-oriented solutions, and only allow functional programming solutions. If it was a programming language theory course I’d want both solutions to be submitted.

What’s the purpose of the sleep on line 186?

After every Deep Water squat workout. I learned to take headache medicine between sets 7 and 8 and immediately drink an energy drink post workout to solve it.

If you’re going to go for a quote like that, I feel like Jocko Willink or David Goggins might be a better fit. Although, honestly, so many people from so many different arenas of life have quotes to that effect, I’m beginning to think that they might be on to something. Success leaves clues.

Am I correct in my assumption that DW would be completely unreconcilable with sports and/or conditioning? Not to say 10x10 won’t give the old ticker a challenge but.

I limped for 6 days after the squat days. I could force myself to be active, but not top form.

Conditioning is part of the program: day 5.

1 Like

I have a hard time understanding how these can both be true.

yeah, just noticed that. slipped through.

absolutely. I even know this, it just went straight over my head while I was coding the software.

yeah, it’d be interesting to do it with functional programming. I plan on trying to write a functional solution when I get more proficient at it (I’m just getting started with ocaml on my own). This wasn’t a programming course. Mathematical programming has more to do with mathematical problem models than it does with “programming” in the sense of coding. This was just an exercise I wanted to do on my own for fun, not an assignment. We won’t see an actual implementation of the algorithm in the course.

cosmetics. If you watch the demo gif, you’ll see there’s a brief pause between closing the first drawing of the graph and the automatic opening of the subsequent drawing of the tree(s). I like it better that way than the second figure instantly popping up upon closing the previous one.

It’s more educational to have to go back and make things better. If there’s something that could be done that’d teach the student more of the craft I’m happier to point those things out. Creates an unsustainable workload but also makes it so that the good and passionate students aren’t effectively shadowboxing into the air. Sometimes though I’d discuss things, like I’d point to the input thing in this code and ask if the person sees any problems with it and have them reason about frailty etc.

Linters help with that

Mate, you can do functional programming in Python. I don’t recommend learning too many languages at once. There’s merit to sometimes explore another language as it forces a paradigm shift but then I prefer the more extremist approach of going as far as programming in Haskell and a Lisp.

:ok_hand:

We’re going to cover ocaml in our programming course in a month anyway. Since our teacher sucks (and I’m not just throwing emotional judgments; I can articulate objective reasons why this is the case), I don’t trust her getting me to a good enough level for the exam, so I’m doing more work now to not have to do too much later.

Python isn’t part of the curriculum of any of the exams I’ll take in my undergrad career. I went the extra mile literally by learning it at all. I did it because I believe it’s extremely relevant, and pretty much a requirement for the web developer career I aspire to. And django is just so much fun.

So if I’m going to learn function programming, I’ll favor doing so through the very language I’ll be tested on. A secondary point being that when we did an introduction to ocaml in my programming 1 course last year, I was scared as hell because I had lots of trobule understanding it. I aced the test on ocaml, but this was for the most part because our teacher was lazy and brought the same test as the previous year’s, which I had practiced on the night before (very lucky). But as a result of this, I never filled that hole.

This winter, we’ll go as far as building a functional language interpreter with ocaml: the allure of becoming good at something I as much as feared doing is just so big. I have done some reading on my own as well as exercises on ocaml, and the feeling of finally starting to get something you struggled with is one of the best you can get.

Gotcha. YMMV but if I were in your shoes I’d bang it out functionally in Python real quick and then repeat it in OCaml. That’d get you warmed-up as it were.

1 Like

Sounds like something that you should tell the dean

Almost halfway through the third week of Odin Force, the workouts are getting tougher with the added volume.

One side effect of doing more sets that I’m observing is (duh) that the workouts take longer. This wouldn’t be a very big deal for many people, but the thing is I train at a time that has me be done with it at the time the gym closes. My routine has been going to the gym at around 8.50 and getting out at 10pm, just before it closes, for the longest time.

Today I had to get going at 8.30 to be able to squeeze in the workout, and over the next three weeks I might have to go even earlier. I tend not to like changes to my schedule. My days look all the same except for the weekend, and I like to stick to my habits.

So I don’t really like this side effect, and I likely will be sticking to lower volume once the program is over. This is a nice change of pace, still. I’m pushing myself and doing more than I’m used to.

For some reason my brain decided that nope, tonight no sleep. My alarm is due in little over three hours… :confused:

To put it in few words: today sucked.

I got maybe 2 and a half, maybe 3 hours of sleep. Last night I was so pissed off because I just couldn’t sleep and I kept seeing the hours on the clock pass by, and knew that I was gonna get less and less sleep. When I was awoken by the alarm, surprisingly enough it didn’t suck as much as I was expecting. I got up and had breakfast.

The suck started a few minutes later. For starters, I had a triple coffee in hopes it would keep me alert during the 6 hours of class I had (which, mind you, is the highlight of my day at the time: I was very happy to have class, I just feared falling asleep midway). The coffee caused a strong stomach burn + nausea combo, so yeah.

On top of that, my right wrist was killing me (and still is). I really need to get it checked out. For anyone who hasn’t read my past posts in which I mentioned the issue: the back of my wrist hurts like hell when I supinate it, or when compressive load is applied to my hand. Does that sound like 90% of the movement we do every day? I know I sound like an 80yo right now, but I’m just trying to convey that all the things I felt this morning made me feel pretty uncomfortable.

On top of the things I just mentioned, I had a mild headache and I felt very, very cold. The latter is due to one more bizarre thing that happens to me when I can’t sleep. I described it in another thread: basically I get really hot, no matter how cold the room is, and need to undress. This does eventually work to cool me down, but then I wake up in the morning freezing. So I had multiple layers of clothes on this morning and still felt cold for the first half of the day on top of everything else.

Training wise, well. I didn’t wanna train. I did it anyway, but I ended up dropping two back exercises (so I totaled out 3 exercises for 10 sets total, then 8 sets of biceps). It sucked all the way, but I’m proud of myself for getting to the gym and doing work even when I’m feeling like complete shit. This time I was very, very close to giving up but then I told myself that these are the times that make you stronger.

So this has been my day. It’s 11pm right now, and in just over an hour I’ll be heading to sleep. Tomorrow I got class at 11 so the schedule is a little bit more forgiving and I don’t have to wake up as early. However, one thing I notice after spending a night like last one is, I don’t really want to go to sleep. I instinctively fear spending another night like that, so I’d rather stay away from my bed and do something else for as long as I reasonably can. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Two main takeaways from reading this and the first one is the quote above. The latter is to work on your sleep hygiene, which pretty much everyone, myself included, needs to do.

1 Like