Deadlift
91.5 kg x 5
103.7 kg x 3
115.9 kg x 10
91.5 kg x 5 x 5
Weighted back extension superset with weighted sit up 3 x 10-15

PR set

@liftangryordie500

So after the Deadlift work I do NOT want to do assistance. Those 3 sets each of back raises and sit ups were kinda half assed, but I chose to go through the motion rather than just doing nothing so I could get some extra volume in. Overall I’m satisfied with my progress.

My grip is starting to become a limiting factor in higher rep sets. The bar starts to roll in my hands towards the last reps. I’m still using a double overhand grip and I would rather not switch to mixed. I need to increase my grip strength.

This is normal.

Any reason in particular you want to avoid mixed grip? Nothing wrong with pulling with straps either. Building your grip is important, but not at the cost of building your deadlift (not a problem for you at this juncture).

1 Like

fear of injury mainly.

also i’d like to avoid straps for the time being because i feel my weights aren’t heavy enough yet to gran them. in the future, of course, but i’m currently still deadlifting baby weights so i want to steer clear of them for now. i like telling myself lately, when i have a problem and i’m wondering how to fix it, “just get stronger.” hopefully it’ll work

1 Like

You probably won’t injure yourself, especially if you’re mindful of your setup. I agree that waiting on straps is probably a good idea, but once you get to pulling 130kg or so for reps your grip will almost certainly give out before the rest of you.

1 Like

I’ve never had either of these problems and I’ve always deadlifted with a mixed grip and with no straps. YMMV

My 2c would be to wait until these things become an issue before trying to fix them.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with using straps on your final work sets if necessary. Even though there are several lifters on here that do mixed grip without injury, I personally don’t risk it.

To build your grip my favourite variant is heavy finger rolls (Google it). Come to think of it I should program these in probably.

1 Like

Bench
60.4 kg x 5
68.4 kg x 3
76.5 kg x 8
60.4 kg x 5 x 8 alternating with rear raises 5 x 20
Incline db press alternating with db row 5x7-15
Laterals 3 sets

PR set

@flappinit
After looking at the video I tried widening my grip a touch on the FSL sets and they felt more stable. Still, the bench doesn’t feel completely right yet.

Squat
86.25 kg x 5
97.75 kg x 3
109.25 kg x 10
86.25 kg x 5 x 5

PR set

Super happy with my pr set

3 Likes

Way to power through that last rep! Love it when you give it your all and get the last one nice and slow like that

1 Like

I don’t think many of us have to worry about tearing a bicep during deadlifts because of mixed grip. If/when I use mixed grip I just alternate every set so each side gets the same stimulus. I also have no shame using straps.

Is it really the biceps that is at the greatest risk? I thought the issue was with the uneven load across the spine?

1 Like

I don’t really see how it’s uneven… I guess if you let one side move forward and start to do the helicopter thing. Other than that the only difference in each side is that one forearm is pronated and the other is supinated. That shouldn’t change your humerus or where the bar is in relation to your body.

2 Likes

Yes it’s the biceps. Athleanx has a good explanation video if you want to look it up on YouTube. The title has something to do with biceps tears but I can’t quite remember the whole thing.

From https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-5-most-dangerous-deadlift-mistakes

I’ve worked with a female powerlifter who developed a lower back and hip issue from the mixed grip, and there’s also the potential it has to cause problems for your biceps.

The main issue with the mixed grip is that you’ll have a natural tendency to rotate your torso/hips toward the supinated side. In other words, you’ll tend to push forward with the supinated side and pull back with the pronated one.

The supinated side will also tend to stay a bit higher than the pronated side, which will more easily hang down. It’ll be much easier to engage the lat on the pronated than supinated side which can make the lift unbalanced. And finally, the biceps on the supinated side will be in a much more dangerous position for a tear.

2 Likes

Bicep tears are the acute, instant injury.

Back and hip twisting are the chronic, slow developing problems.

4 Likes

I think it’d be tough to develop those problems if you switched your grip on each set or workout.

1 Like

That’s probably why I couldn’t do this.

I only feel comfortable when my left arm is the supinated arm. The other way around just doesn’t work for me. (And even then it feels weird af)

I’m the same way, but I have to have my right arm supinated. I just concentrate on keeping my elbow straight and my back aligned, as part of my mental set-up cues. I also pull double overhand until I get to my top sets.

1 Like

Deload
Press
Work up to 49.5 kg x 1 [TM]
2 sets chins
1 set curls