Samul's Training and Nutrition Log

Nutritional standpoint, like have all of the necessary fats in there or not going to run a risk of a vitamin deficiency?

I’ll get back to you more thoroughly tomorrow either way.

Happy cake day my friend!

1 Like

Pretty much both. I am interested in knowing if you think it’s an all around good selection of foods and a solid diet.

I’ll be looking forward to your answer, thank you!

Bench
56.35 kg x 3
64.4 kg x 3
72.45 kg x 9
56.36 kg x 5 x 8 alternating with face pull 5 x 20
Incline db press 24kg x 10,10,10, 28 kg x 9, 10
Alternating with
Db row 32 kg x 20, 34 kg x 20, 36 kg x 18, 38 kg x 13, 15
Side raises 3 sets

I’m not necessarily happy with my pr set. At the end of the previous cycle, I was able to hit about the same weight for 12 reps. The bench is definitely the lift I don’t feel confident in yet. I never totally feel 100% in control of the bar and the movement. It almost always feels as if I’m doing something slightly wrong.

1 Like

Post a video of your bench.

1 Like

Will do next week

I’ve had to relearn benching 3 times in my ten years of lifting. It could take a while to fix but what you’re describing in terms of feeling unstable and not in control should not be an issue with your 9RM. It actually shouldn’t be a problem with your 1RM. I’m betting you’re not keeping your body tight.

Indeed, I often realize that

1. After a few reps I get “distracted” and don’t keep gripping the bar as hard and tight as I do when starting the set
  2. I lose some scap retraction after a while

This won’t be as detailed as I would have liked as I’m on my cell and I don’t carry that much information between my ears to be honest but if the beef is grass-fed you have some saturated fat in there.

Coconut oil would be a nice addition, palm oil if you can stomach the moral implications and cacao if you can eat it in moderation.

The olive oil has you covered with regards to monounsaturated fats. And arguably the peanut butter. Add in avocado every now and again and vary your nut intake.

Polyunsaturated fats, the salmon has you covered there. Walnuts would also provide you with that.

Vitamin deficiencies, not unlikely. The less varied your diet is the likelier they are to occur. You’re not exactly eating the rainbow with regards to vegetables and fruits. But analysing whether a diet/meal plan would result in one is beyond what I can easily do.

I’d skew my carb intake to be more circulated around the workout.

There are a lot of entries there I’d assume would be worse for your gut than eggs but each to their own.

I’m not one to throw in my support for bread. Even sprouted bread has me on the fence. Or jam. And having fats with carbs.

But I think you already know all of that stuff?

1 Like

Thanks for the analysis!

Yep maybe bread and jam aren’t exactly the best health wise, but I found no detriment including them in my diet and I love them, so I guess they can stay.

Regarding eggs, as much as it pains me to say that because I love them, I found a neat improvement ever since I stopped eating them.

I have read about not mixing carbs and fat but, honestly I kinda think that’s bogus. Or at least not something that is easily applicable in real life.

Squat
80.5 kg x 3
92 kg x 3
103.5 kg x 11
80.5 kg x 5 x 5

Life really got in the way with this workout. I managed to only do the main and supplemental work, but I’m satisfied with my pr set.

2 Likes

How so? For me it’s a question of how much insulin to release and what that means given the context. Basically, the Hatfield rule: eat for what you are about to do or just have done.

What do you mean? It’s mostly about meal composition. In a P+F meal there will be some trace fats, it’s mostly a question of composing meals that are predominantly either P+C or P+F. So, chicken and rice is P+C even though there are trace fats in the chicken and is an excellent post workout meal. Salmon, nuts, and veggies is a P+F meal that is well places outside the peri-workout zone. Obviously, you can get big and strong without applying this line of thinking and probably stay pretty lean anyways but that can be said for a lot of the things that we do or don’t do.

2 Likes

As long as you are not trying to get stage lean I doubt it will make or break your physique. Might have a negative impact on your insulin sensitivity in the long run but you’ve already showcased that you can get pretty lean regardless. Although, maybe you weren’t eating PB&J sandwiches then?

1 Like

No problem. Add some variety in there for good measure. For instance, have a tangerine instead of an apple/banana sometime. Replace the chicken with shrimp on occasion. And so on.

1 Like

Did you find out anything about your mom?

1 Like

Haha, far from it. I wasn’t eating white rice, pasta, apples, bananas, yoghurt, cottage cheese, and oatmeal either though. I always wonder if I would’ve had the same end result following a diet similar in calories and macros but with different foods.

She spent 6 hours in the emergency room and did bloodwork, x-rays, and a rectus inspection.

They found various markers of inflammation and infection, and diagnosed her with inflamed hemorrhoids. What’s more, the doctor who visited her suspects she might have diverticulitis. It’s basically small sachets that form in the bowel and feces get trapped into them and creare inflammation. Inflamed hemorrhoids would explain the blood she found, and diverticulitis the pain she’s been having. Also, the pain has gotten very severe since last night and she’s suffering a ton. I’m really depressed and it hurts so bad to see her like that.

Anyway, she will still have to do a colonoscopy in a few days because we can’t rule anything out yet with the exams she’s done.

My mood is under the floor. I’m stressed from yesterday, and as if it wasn’t enough none of my friends are around to even remotely make this better. I’m with my best friend with now, she’s always by my side but when it’s just the two of us I don’t feel relieved. I wish I had a couple more people around to joke with and shit, but one has problems with their parents, another is grounded and can’t go out, another one doesn’t have money so he can’t join us, and so on. Like really, nothing’s making things better.

Well, that’s not the worst possible news. I understand you don’t like seeing her suffer; hopefully they have some magic stuff to get her comfortable.

Tell that friend who’s broke that they don’t need money to hang out.

1 Like

I have but really, I don’t understand whether this is an issue of mine, of them, or a combination of both.

I don’t want to turn this into a wall of text but basically, I only seem to be happy when I’m surrounded with people. Now, obviously the only thing that’d truly make me happier right now would be to see my mom get better, but generally speaking, the other people seem to me okay with being alone or to hang out with only another person, whereas the only times I am happy is if I know that I’m going out and today there are lots of people with me.

Last Friday I was super excited because it was 4 of us, whereas generally on Friday nights I’m only with my best friend and MAYBE another friend of us. And I was even happier because we’d already arranged to eat out the following day so I know we wouldn’t be alone the next day either.

I’m always trying to organize something with my friends and it makes me happy to do things. Going to the movies, eating out. My ideas are almost always turned down. Most of the times it’s because their parents won’t give them permission or money. We have a big carnival festival in a city near that I live in, it takes half an hour of train to get there and € 12 total. Guess what. I’ve been trying to arrange to go there for two weeks and there are ALWAYS issues.

And I wouldn’t even know where to being from if I were to look for a new group of friends because I’ve quarreled with lots of people in the past due to my attitude and lost lots of friendships, and even though I’ve been working hard to change and to some extent managed to, it’s still hard.

It sounds like you like to facilitate things. Do you enjoy the actual event or the planning more?

The older you get, the harder it is to get a group of people on the same page. I have lots of acquaintances, but few actual friends. I’m only social about twice a year. I like to be social; I miss it, but now that I’m married I have to choose between being with my family and being social. My wife and I have zero days off from work together. She’s off weekends. I’m off Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. If we get invited somewhere then it’s easier to just stay home together than to split up. She usually doesn’t want to go anywhere; she wants to stay home with our kids since she doesn’t see them much during the week. It makes sense but the end result is that we don’t do much outside of our own house.

You’ll notice as you get older that you’ll have a small amount of close friends and family with whom you like to spend time. Unfortunately, the logistics of everyone’s schedules can make it difficult.

You need to find a way to be at peace when you’re alone. There’s nothing wrong with solitude and sometimes it can be quite refreshing, but I understand that now isn’t one of those times. It’s always nice to surround yourself with good people when life sucks - at least you have the one friend.

1 Like

Press
35.25 kg x 5
39.95 kg x 3
44.65 kg x 12
35.25 kg x 5 x 8 alternating with lateral raises 5 x 20
Dips 9, 14, 12, 10, 12
Alternating with
Pullups 10, 10, 7, 7, 6
Curls 3 sets heavy

PR set

And this is it for the press and my second cycle. Happy with my pr set, although wrists hurt after. I’m trying to figure how to grip the bar so it doesn’t hurt. Thought I was already putting it low enough in my hand but probably not enough if wrists hurt.

FSL sets started to get though towards the third one. Doing laterals in between wasn’t a bright idea, but the cable pulley was broken so no face pulls and I didn’t fancy doing rear laterals today. I thought it’d affect my performance but I waited five ish minutes before moving onto assistance to let that ungodly delt pump subside and performance was decent.

The first set of Dips always feels weird, my pecs hurt and feel like I’m going to tear something at the bottom of the reps. From there it gets better.

I’m nearing my deload week and definitely start to feel like I can use some rest.

My mass building phase is going decent too, I’m starting to finally notice some visible growth

3 Likes