Samul's Training and Nutrition Log

Hi, actually I have no problems sticking to my eating plan. I eat out once per week and have a bit of junk here and there because I want to, but I’ve gone long periods of time strictly adhering to very “clean” eating. I’m doing it now because I feel like it, I wanted to have a few burgers, pizza, and sweets lately and I did. I always had them in place of other meals, not in addition to, and still made sure my bases were covered as far as micronutrients.

As for the fiber, I don’t track it, but I have plenty of veggies and fruits and eat a fair amount of whole grain cereals, pasta, potatoes with skin, etc. so I am covered.

You guys are certainly right. The scale moving up means I’m in the right direction, but I should half a pound could be somewhat a slow rate of gain and I could push the envelope a bit to max out growth.

My plan is to up the calories a little bit, and earn them. I’m training four times per week and doing some form of conditioning three times, and if I really push myself I’m positive my body will make good use of the extra food. I’ve been eating around 3k calories a day for three and a half months and, while initially the scale was moving up pretty quickly, it’s now slowed down and I haven’t gained a ton of fat in the process.

In fact, I still have some abs to my surprise. This is definitely a good sign. Means my expenditure has increased but not mainly due to fat gain.

1 Like

Deadlift
79.3 kg x 5
91.5 kg x 5
103.5 kg x 15
79.3 kg x 5 x 5
Db rdl alternating with Rope crunch 3 rounds
Bodyweight walking lunge 60 total reps

2 Likes

Bench
52.3 kg x 5
60.4 kg x 5
68.4 kg x 11
52.3 kg x 5 x 8
Db Incline press 24-26 kg x 5 x 8-12
Alternating with
Db row 30-36 kg x 5 x 15-20
Lateral raises 3 sets

Squat
74.75 kg x 5
86.25 kg x 5
97.75 kg x 13
74.5 kg x 5 x 5
Leg press 120-200 kg x 5 x 8-13 alternating with Rope crunch 5 x 10-20

Hey man, any particular reason you have such a low TM on Deadlifts?

1 Like

Not really, I just never trained my deadlift much at all so when I tested my 5rm it came around that number. Or maybe I’m relatively strong at squats.

I’m positive my numbers will increase soon, I’m following the principles of the program religiously.

With 5/3/1, starting with a conservative training max is fairly strongly recommended.

That’s not even what I’m saying. Your numbers ARE steadily increasing, which is a good thing. I’m just not sure how well that will carry over into heavier rep ranges (speaking from experience here, haha). You can afford to use 85%-90% as a TM for everything if you’re looking to build some top-end strength. Combine with calories = useful BW. (if you’re just doing this to look better, forget I said anything, haha).

Yes, I know, I ran the program for 6 months with an 85% TM. But this must be somewhere around 70-75%. Performing a 15 rep set of deadlifts with any reasonably heavy weight (relative to the person’s top-end strength) is impossible. I’m mentioning this because he should probably have something closer to 260-275 on the bar for his top sets if he’s interested in being able to pull more weight for sets of 6-7, rather than 15.

Actually I got 4 reps with the weight I first used as a TM.

I guess I’m just eating a ton and pushing more than I was used to before starting the program so what was previously a challenging weight has quickly become a high rep weight for me.

Actually I have been doing my pr sets with laser focus and pushing myself further than I’d done before, so that might explain why I’m getting so many reps with a weight I thought would be close to my max. Like Wendler put it, I’m “expecting greatness from myself” and getting it out of myself.

To answer what you said about goals, I have no plans of entering the sport of powerlifting and my end goal is size. I’m currently focusing on strength so that when I get to higher numbers I can start a size focused program like BBB or building the monolith.

1 Like

Ah, the power of food. Keep persevering, you’re making some great progress. How many cycles in are you? Honestly, if that’s the case for you, just keep doing whatever it is you’re doing, because obviously it’s working.

1 Like

Fair point, definitely something to consider. I cap my AMRAP sets at 10/8/5 for the 5/3/1 weeks, and if I know I can easily get more, I know I’m going too light.

1 Like

I’m actually into my second cycle, so my journey with this program has just begun.

I plan on keeping it up with 5/3/1 for at least a year consecutively.

1 Like

Yeah, my top set for one 5/5/5 @ 65/75/85% Squat Day was 250 x 14 with one more in the tank. Honestly, looking back, I should have gone with a 90% TM; but the 85% TM provides a good buffer (something I needed because I was sick and feeling like steamed dogshit constantly).

Holy shit. Dude…I would reset your TMs during this deload week. Based on what you’re telling me (going from 4 to 11-12 reps with your TM in 2 months), it is entirely possible that you simply learned how to struggle, which is a very valuable tool to possess. However…your training should reflect this. Learn how to struggle in the 6-10 Rep Range. This is also a valuable tool to possess. Based on your most recent deadlift PR, I’d go with an AMRAP set at 275 pounds during this deload week. Calculate your estimated 1RM using Wendler’s 1RM formula (weight x reps x .0333 + weight), take 80-85% of that number, and go crazy. Do the same thing once you’ve (hopefully) established some new Rep PRs, take 87.5% of that number, and use THAT as your TM. (87.5% is a good blend between 85% and 90%).

After you’ve done this, take an actual deload week and jump into your next cycle. It’s worth changing if you’re planning on doing this for a year straight. It’s better to spend a week fixing things now than to spend a few months getting accustomed to heavier weights later.

To clarify, I am NOT saying that you didn’t get stronger. You’ve been doing great work. 15-rep sets of anything take balls. Just make sure you’re getting stronger in some heavier rep ranges as well.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips. Since I’m a subscribed member of Wendler’s forums, I’ll talk to him about this and see what he thinks about it.

I’m suspecting I won’t be hitting 13+ reps on every pr set for much longer than maybe 3-4 cycles anyway, the weights will eventually get heavier relative to my strength increase so we’ll see.

1 Like

That is also a very good point. Although I’m really not the least qualified person out there to have an opinion on the matter, you would do much better asking this question on the private forums.

1 Like

Oh sure, I absolutely did not mean to disregard what you said. Just thought I’d ask Jim as well since I have the opportunity to interact directly with him

1 Like

Yup, it’s good. I was a member of the private forums for a few months as well. Good articles on there.

1 Like

Press
32.9 kg x 3
37.6 kg x 3
42.3 kg x 12
32.9 kg x 5 x 8 alternating with face pull 5 x 20
Dips 15, 12, 10, 11, 12
Alternating with
Pullups 10, 9, 9, 7, 6
Db curl 3 sets
Bike 10 minutes

1 Like