Samul's Training and Nutrition Log

Cool, so Paul’s suggestion makes total sense. Coming off a size block, push the intensity and chase the rep PRs for 2-3 cycles. Triumvirate is a good template for that, among many others. Personally I like the down sets, so something like PR set + 3x5 FSL would be a good starting point.

Then when it’s time for another size oriented training block give BBB a run. Like Pwn said, there’s a bunch of different qualities to train at any given time and 531 is just a way to make it easy to stay on track.

1 Like

Sounds good, thanks for the advice.

Out of curiosity, may I ask why 3x5 on FSL?
Whenever I read about them, I recall people doing 5x5. Also Pwn mentioned that FSL usually goes with joker sets, which I don’t understand how they work as I don’t have Forever yet.

Anyway, what exercises do you like for triumvirate? I am thinking dips and chins on press day, db rows and db presses on bench day, but I’m unsure about Deadlift and squat day. I hate abs and leg work and legs aren’t even a priority for me, so I need to find something I actually enjoy doing so I can stick with it. One exercise I do like is the stiff legged Deadlift which might go well in squat day.

Jokers, FSL, and all that fun stuff will make total sense when you get your hands on the book. Just know that it’s not mandatory to pair certain protocols together, rather there’s a ton of flexibility to run the program with current goals in mind and tailor it to suit them, if that makes sense.

Not sure why I said 3x5 instead of 5x5 tbh. I usually suggest it to friends who are new to PR/AMRAP sets but you’ve been training a while so you’ll have a better gauge of how many sets to do.

I’ve never actually ran triumvirate, so I can’t make any suggestions that are backed with experience. However, if I were to run that template I’d choose pretty big assistance lifts that I could push hard.

Gotcha.

So I’ll get the book in one or two months actually so at first I’ll have to set up my training without it.

For the first 3 cycles I might do pr set + FSL 5x5 with triumvirate template. That was basically your suggestion, so sounds good? Then I can move onto BBB for another 3-5 cycles.

Since I’ll be starting light as it’s suggested, do you think I could benefit from sticking with the first set up we discussed for more cycles, maybe 4? I’m just a bit afraid that if I switch programs too soon I might not reap the benefits from it. But maybe it doesn’t matter since the basic 5/3/1 progression stays the same regardless of the program I use?

Thank you for the time you take to answer my questions by the way! And same to Pwn. Also it’ll be midnight here soon so best wishes for the new year!

No problem dude! There’s so much info out there about 531 in fragments it makes a beautifully simple thing seem complicated.

But yeah, I think that’ll suit you well for 4 cycles or more if you find you’re making great progress with it. Stick with a template for 2-3 cycles at least, but don’t be afraid to stay on something that’s working up until it stops either.

And happy new year to you as well! Hope it’s a good one!

1 Like

Start thinking in terms of 6 years not 6 weeks. Muscle growth is not fat loss.

2 Likes

Well said

Bb 21’s 25 kg, 27.5 kg (2 rounds)
Incline curl 11 kg x 8,2,3 (one double rest pause set)
Rope pushdown 30 kg x 22, 18, 25 kg x 21
Db skulls 10 kg x 7, 8 kg x 8

After this I proceeded to test my 3rm on the squats so I already know it when I start 5/3/1 in ten days.

@mr.v3lv3t from what I’ve gathered, your training max should be about the weight you can do for three perfect reps. I filmed my set because I’m not sure what those three reps should look like. They were pretty hard, especially the third one, but I also felt like I could have added maybe 10 lbs but then I wouldn’t be so sure the reps would’ve been clean in technique.

The guy who took the video didn’t do a terrific job of just standing still and not moving so it is what it is, but since this is not a form check the quality should suffice. Just want to know if I’m good using this number as my TM.

Jim tends to advocate 5 reps these days.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d say that’s a pretty good starting point. As you become more familiar with 5/3/1 you begin to understand that the TM doesn’t really correlate with your #RM as much as it does in the beginning, but for sure a good starting point.

1 Like

Yeah I read about using 85% of your actual max. Since that set wasn’t to failure, I’ll just take 5 lbs off the weight I used and use that as my TM. Should work, better to start lighter right?

Right, I read an article on Jim’s site the other day in which he talked about that.

Anyway, I have my max weight on the bench that I lifted for 4 reps to failure (a bit of a grinder set), which is 82 kg. What should I do with that number? Just plug into Jim’s equation for calculating the max or maybe take 5-7 lbs off and use directly for my TM?

Lastly, here’s the plan: I already know my squat and bench maxes by this point, so I only really need to calculate those for the deadlift and press. After this week I’ll take a week off to deload; during this week I’ll go to the gym only once and calculate my maxes for the deadlift and press. I’ll test my 5rm and use it as my TM. The following week, I’ll finally start 5/3/1.

I suspect my press numbers are going to be the most ridiculous. I haven’t trained the movement with a barbell in ages, I always do the db variation.

Always. Sets you up for success.

2 Likes

You should take 82 x 4 x .0333 + 82 = about 93, then take 93 x .85 = 79 kg as your TM. You could do 90%, but you said the set was a grinder.

2 Likes

Flappinit covered it by the book here, can’t go wrong with that advice.

Alternatively, I’d have said drop 5kg off that 4RM and get to work (77kg TM).

1 Like

Okay, so I think I’m pretty much covered as far as my training plan.

Four training days, pr set + FSL 5x5 with triumvirate for the first cycles, then BBB. I will discuss diet with Paul Carter next week but most likely I’ll keep the calories at around 3k for another month or so and then see if I need to cut them for a couple of weeks.

Last question regards conditioning. Jim says it’s important to do some. However, there’s only one thing I hate more than running—it’s running more. And I have virtually no piece of conditioning equipment: no prowler.

For my cardio I’ve been doing one hour walks one to three times a week depending on weather and spare time, so I was wondering if they could be used as a decent form of conditioning. A brisk walk one to two hours long. I can buy a weighted vest and walk with it, I just would rather not have to run.

Find a hill and do hill sprints. Perhaps Jim’s views on cardio vs. conditioning have evolved like his other ideas, but as I’ve always understood it, there’s a distinct difference between cardio and conditioning. Cardio is aerobic exercise. Conditioning is supposed to be anaerobic. Again, perhaps Forever has some different views on what’s acceptable, but I don’t think walking meets the requirements of the conditioning aspect. Conditioning days for me are harder to push through than lifting days sometimes.

3 Likes

That sums up his view on ‘hard’ conditioning. He also has advice for ‘easy’ conditioning and weighted vest walks fall into that category, along with things like the Airdyne performed in an aerobic fashion.

For @samul’s sake, I think if he can get a couple walks in along with something shitty like bike sprints, hill sprints, or any kind of metcon that’ll cover all the bases.

1 Like

Well I have a hill right in front of my house, which is way more convenient than driving to the gym just for 15 minutes of bike sprints.

So sounds like I will have to do some form of running anyway… Will probably have to start really slow as the only form of cardio I’ve been doing for months is really just walking.

Good idea. The first time I did intervals I was doing ALAS, and tore something in my calf. Couldn’t run (or even jog) for months.

1 Like

As with all things 5/3/1, start light and progress slowly :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes