Samsung Smartwatch

So what do you guys think of it?? I will be getting a new phone in a few months and I imagine it will be a samsung so maybe I could get a smartwatch to boot if not too expensive.

Here is a cool vid of how it is supposed to work.

I can see the allure of something such as this but I think the last thing we need is to be even more connected. At least my phone I can shove in my pocket and forget it.

For about 20 years I’ve been waiting for a digital watch that didn’t have those same LCD segmented numbers and had numbers that look like real, printed numbers.

Ever since Jobs’s passing it seems that Apple just hasn’t had quite the “push” that they had before. To me this is simply another piece of evidence in that regard (Apple is indeed working on a smart watch). Samsung has beat them to the punch - again.

Samsung has confirmed that this is going to be unveiled on the 4th of September. I think they had even planned for it to come out earlier but there were some sort of disruption(s) in the manufacturing of the flexible displays.

Another thing to think about is this whole idea of flexible displays and the type of devices that it’s going to allow to be built. The form factors could be amazing. For example, as you can see in this video, the total screen might potentially be much larger than the actual “useable” screen when it is wrapped around your wrist. I would imagine that not more than a 2" x 1" screen could be used on the wrist but roll it out and you could have a 4" tall screen instead. At this point it essentially becomes a smartphone that is also a wrist watch.

Not really a general public type of device. The average Joe wants to use both hands and have the option to chuck the device away to hide the true nerd in us all and the screen is small. Now this is a great concept for Pilots(maybe) Cops, the elderly or anyone that needs to use both hands and call for help or need information fast. Maybe set it up for those options and it’s a great tool

I think they just made the first real step to us not carrying “phones” at all.

My samsung phone came with info that it can sync to that so that your phone acts like a spy camera…ie, you can activate your phone camera from long distance by using your watch. They said it can act like a baby monitor in that way.

I like it…but I don’t think it has more appeal than “extra gadget” right now.

Every kid born before the 90’s wanted a phone in their watch with a tv…and now they have them for real.

People will buy them for that alone.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

My samsung phone came with info that it can sync to that so that your phone acts like a spy camera…ie, you can activate your phone camera from long distance by using your watch. They said it can act like a baby monitor in that way.

Every kid born before the 90’s wanted a phone in their watch with a tv…and now they have them for real.

People will buy them for that alone.[/quote]
Agreed. I want one if for no other reason then because this is literally the exact shit my friends and I used to pretend we had.

As for replacing phones all together. I don’t think it’ll be in watch form obviously, but potentially it will happen with contact lenses to some degree. I’m not sure about the audio though, that would have to be separate which complicates things. Could be in the form of contact lenses with accompanying earpiece/mic or some such.

If you’re into Michio Kaku’s ramblings then you’ll have heard his belief that one day all this shit will literally just be implants in our brains like something straight outta sci-fi. It’s really not very farfetched if you go far enough down the timeline.

People will not flaunt them. Theft of phones are high. Now imagine a gadget you can’t hide as easy as putting it in a pocket or purse.

Yep!

[quote]four60 wrote:

People will not flaunt them. Theft of phones are high. Now imagine a gadget you can’t hide as easy as putting it in a pocket or purse.[/quote]

No need to hide it.

It’s on your wrist. If a thief can successfully get that off without you knowing, they pretty much deserve it, no?

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Ever since Jobs’s passing it seems that Apple just hasn’t had quite the “push” that they had before. To me this is simply another piece of evidence in that regard (Apple is indeed working on a smart watch). Samsung has beat them to the punch - again.

Samsung has confirmed that this is going to be unveiled on the 4th of September. I think they had even planned for it to come out earlier but there were some sort of disruption(s) in the manufacturing of the flexible displays.

[/quote]
I was wondering; Has Samsung always been this innovative technology giant? I always thought Sony and Apple were ahead of curve but apparently not.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

[/quote]
I was wondering; Has Samsung always been this innovative technology giant? I always thought Sony and Apple were ahead of curve but apparently not.[/quote]

The most aggressive one wins…and frankly, Samsung is blowing the others out the water lately.

This galaxy s4 is the best thing out right now. Voice recognition is on point so that even text messages can be talked out…and it is really getting it right when you say it aside from punctuation.

It makes me wonder what the future holds…because if this is surprising me now…20 years from now will be Tony Stark level.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

[/quote]
I was wondering; Has Samsung always been this innovative technology giant? I always thought Sony and Apple were ahead of curve but apparently not.[/quote]

The most aggressive one wins…and frankly, Samsung is blowing the others out the water lately.

This galaxy s4 is the best thing out right now. Voice recognition is on point so that even text messages can be talked out…and it is really getting it right when you say it aside from punctuation.

It makes me wonder what the future holds…because if this is surprising me now…20 years from now will be Tony Stark level.[/quote]
It seems like they are doing things the right way. I never liked Apple because it seemed like they were withholding advance technologies to bleed more money from the consumers.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

It seems like they are doing things the right way. I never liked Apple because it seemed like they were withholding advance technologies to bleed more money from the consumers.
[/quote]

Not only that, they wanted too much control. I don’t like not being able to download and control my own music any way I want.

[quote]four60 wrote:

People will not flaunt them. Theft of phones are high. Now imagine a gadget you can’t hide as easy as putting it in a pocket or purse.[/quote]

No need to hide it.

It’s on your wrist. If a thief can successfully get that off without you knowing, they pretty much deserve it, no?[/quote]

Trust me this will beat Gingivitis as the Number one cause of lost teeth. The first group to jump on this will be the same group I see on the train everyday. Parents will make sure all the little tommy’s of the world have one for Christmas and this is when guys and gals will get beat down for the hot gadget.

I still think it’s a great concept for the elderly and first responder types. If they can add a voice activation you can be be using medical equipment or have both hands on your weapon and calling for backup.

I love the many ways this device can be used.

I remember when I was younger I watched Batman Forever and Bruce had a smart watch that he could talk to Alfred with.

Pretty cool. I wonder how much it will cost

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I remember when I was younger I watched Batman Forever and Bruce had a smart watch that he could talk to Alfred with.

Pretty cool. I wonder how much it will cost[/quote]

Damn I feel old. My first thought was Dick Tracy :slight_smile:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

Damn I feel old. My first thought was Dick Tracy :-)[/quote]

For real. He was the first on the scene with that…and kids would shit their pants back then if they saw some shit like this.

Dick Tracy’s was basically just a tv on his wrist.

I had a watch when I was in middle school that was a video game watch (I think something similar to Star Fox) and I had another one a few years later that took pictures in pretty decent quality but was huge. I used it mostly for snapping photos of girls without them knowing…

This looks pretty cool. I’d be very interested if it was a way to do away with a phone altogether. As long as I can use it for internet, calling, texting, and emailing it work perfectly for me…

Oh, and if it is not $1000

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

Damn I feel old. My first thought was Dick Tracy :-)[/quote]

For real. He was the first on the scene with that…and kids would shit their pants back then if they saw some shit like this.

Dick Tracy’s was basically just a tv on his wrist.[/quote]

It’s strange to think they could come that close to science Reality in the 30’s