T Nation

SAM'S Club

Are most of you guys member of Sam’s Club or BJs(snicker) or anything like that? Good deals on chicken and steak. Suprisingly fresh too.

Surprisingly full of antibiotics, growth hormones, pesticides, drug-resistant bacteria and lots of other fun stuff.

Sure it’s cheap, but it’s also shit!

[quote]boonville410 wrote:
Surprisingly full of antibiotics, growth hormones, pesticides, drug-resistant bacteria and lots of other fun stuff.

Sure it’s cheap, but it’s also shit![/quote]

Not entirely true. Depends on what you buy there (besides, they don’t use most of that stuff on chicken anyway per U.S. law). There are some great deals on those bags of frozen chicken breasts that I load up on big time. Also can buy some seriously LAAARGE amounts of oatmeal. lol

Kuz

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Not entirely true. Depends on what you buy there (besides, they don’t use most of that stuff on chicken anyway per U.S. law). There are some great deals on those bags of frozen chicken breasts that I load up on big time. Also can buy some seriously LAAARGE amounts of oatmeal. lol

Kuz[/quote]

besides, isn’t it good to eat extra steroids and gh?
Just make sure to eat your meat a little on the raw side….

I picked up a package of those frozen chicken breasts in my grocery store the other day, but they looked really skinny and a little icky.

The Tyson boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Sam’s are good, thick pieces.

I agree w/ Kuz on the Oats too. 9 pounds (102 1/2 cup servings) for something like $7!

Yeah i buy the chicken and stuff at Costco, they also have a great mushroom ravioli that cooks up nice along side it.

We have Costco up in VT. I get great deals on frozen chick and salmon (ocean not farm raised). They also have great deals on whole chickens (roasters). I don’t necessarily agree with the statement that the meats have excessive amount of antibiotics, GH, etc. Chances are most of the stuff in the supermarket has the same amount (unless you’re buying organic).

Costco. Their stuff is actually quite good. Their bakery, oddly enough, is fantastic. And I mean really freakin good. Of course, it’s also very fattening, so I don’t buy that stuff anymore, but a big-ass tub of Costco cookies was always teh bomb.

I don’t know about anywhere else, but here in houston the SAMS carry a giant box of eggs, like 220 for right at ten bucks. I’m not even bullshittin.

And what about the great deal on Member’s Mark Fish Oil caps - 300 for only $6.86!!, and they have a high rating by Consumer Labs.

There are all kinds of good deals on good healthy food at Sam’s. I like the 3lb jug od Deluxe Planters Mixed Nuts.

Unless you are feeding out your own steer for slaughter, there is no guarantee of what you will get, regardless of where you buy your beef.

Most all cattle will have antibiotics if they get sick - just like humans. Most all cattle are implanted with hormones of some sort.

You make it sound as if Sam’s seeks out the most poisonous of meat to sell. They don’t. It’s the same beef that you buy at the local grocer, or the local butcher. Beef is a commodity just like crude oil. It’s bought and sold on the CME - just like crude, or soybeans, or corn, or pork bellies.

This new marketing ploy of ‘branding’ beef is a lie. Unless you buy it direct from a specialty producer (read expensive as hell), beef is beef.

And beef is good.

10 cup carton of cottage cheese for $5.99

You really think that because it’s against the law to use antibiotics and growth hormones on animals, giant chicken and beef factories don’t do it? WOW! It’s also against the law to drive over the speed limit, smoke in bars in some states, and drink when you’re under 21, but all of these things still happen.

No, I’m not suggesting that “Sam’s seeks out the most poisonous of meat to sell.” However, by way of purchasing the cheapest meat they are definitely not buying the best. I’m not talking about Grade A or Angus because you’re right, those labels don’t mean anything. Unless you’re buying organic, you’re getting low grade beef no matter where you buy it. I’m sure there are some sneaky practices in the organic meat industry, too; however, at least there are SOME standards.

You’re right, organic and specialty meat is expensive, but you can’t put a price on your health. Besides, there are so many ways that you can cut costs elsewhere in order to afford better food. In my opinion, $5/lb. for organic meat is not expensive. In you’re opinion, $100 for synovex-h is not expensive. To each his own.

Antibiotics are legal. Where have you heard that they are not? There are withdrawal periods for certian drugs, which means you can’t use certain antibiotics within a given time of slaughter.

But there is nowhere in the cattle feeding part of the U.S. that has made the use of antibiotics illegal.

Sam’s sells ‘choice’ beef. That is the grade given them by a USDA inspector. It is the same ‘choice’ that you get at the grocers, or the butchers.

Most cattle that go to slaughter are not sick. Probably 1 in every 1,000 head of fat cattle have been doctored in the last 30 days prior to slaughter.

If Sam’s gets a better deal on their beef, it is not because they buy the crappiest beef, it is because they buy in such quantities that they can command a lower cost. Just like with anything else they sell - volume purchasing leads to lower prices.

I buy most of my beef from Sam’s and have had zero problems with it.

If you want to hate Sam’s/Wal-Mart - hate them for destroying small towns all across the country, but don’t go accusing them of something that is just not true.

“but you can’t put a price on your health.”

Great, I’ll schedule and MRI for each bruise I get.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Antibiotics are legal. Where have you heard that they are not? There are withdrawal periods for certian drugs, which means you can’t use certain antibiotics within a given time of slaughter.[/quote]

For beef, definitely. I am not 100% sure for chickens (trying to find this on the FDA Web site to little avail). I know growth hormones for chickens is a no-no. Heck, just pick up a package of chicken breasts, especially organic ones where they tout no antibiotics and no growth hormone because there is also a label on there about GH being illegal to use with chickens (and again, there might be a note about antibiotics too, but I need to find the exact reference).

Kuz

[quote]JBraswell wrote:

Great, I’ll schedule and MRI for each bruise I get.[/quote]

Thanks for the intelligent contribution! (insert sarcasm)

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill. The people that bitch about how expensive organic food is are the same people that spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a plasma tv, tuning up their cars, etc. I’m not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but it’s all relative. You will only have ONE body in your lifetime (assuming genomics doesn’t allow otherwise)! I prefer to spend money on things that will not only increase the length of my life, but also improve the quality; my health, vitality, and mindset.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Antibiotics are legal. Where have you heard that they are not? There are withdrawal periods for certian drugs, which means you can’t use certain antibiotics within a given time of slaughter.

But there is nowhere in the cattle feeding part of the U.S. that has made the use of antibiotics illegal.

If you want to hate Sam’s/Wal-Mart - hate them for destroying small towns all across the country, but don’t go accusing them of something that is just not true.[/quote]

The FDA-CVM (Center for Veterinary Medicine) has prohibited the use of the following drugs/drug classes in or on animals or animal feed:

Chloramphenicol - antibiotic
Nitroimidazoles - antibiotic
Nitrofurans - antibiotic
Fluoroquinolones - antibiotic
Enrofloxacin - antibiotic
Glycopeptides - antibiotic

A Johns Hopkins University study found that 96% of the Tyson chicken they sampled contained drug-resistant (specifically fluoroquinolone resistant) strains of Campylobacter - the bacteria that is responsible for 2.4 million cases of food-borne illness in the United States every year. Perhaps Wal*Mart IS seeking out the most poisonous of meat to sell!

Besides, I hate Wal*Mart for everything they do.

I saw a special on Wal-Mart. The founder of Wal-Mart was one of the greatest employeers around. Times have changed, however. At home, we have a local butcher that gets meat from local Amish farms. It really tastes better, and I prefer to support them. Having a good butcher is key for the culinarily inclined.

yeah, organic usually does taste better if u have the xtra cash laying around