Same Muscle Two Days In a Row?

Is it any good to train the same body part lighty two days in a row instead of training hard a single day. This becaurse of not having time to train many sets.

In my opinion you’re better off training high intensity/low volume for that muscle group on just the one day, then move on to others the next day. I’ve seen my best strength gains after I stopped training the same muscle two days in a row, and wow! I gained some real strength! That’s my take.

if youve seen sheiko routines he has you traing muchles many days in a row with medium intensity. also the smolov cycle has you train 2 days in a row in the base cycle with relatively high intensitys. so i suppose it could work if you dont go overboard in each workout

It depends on the overall program really.

The whole notion of don’t work the same muscle 2 days in a row comes from BB style workouts of high volume.

That’s like saying that if you lift weights today you can’t do your job tomorrow (if you do any lifting). With the right program you can effectively work the same muscle group 2 days in a row without problems.

Check out Part Time Beast by CT, haven’t looked closely but it is for people with limited time.

Short and intense is the only way I’ve ever known to workout. Thats whats been difficult on me, I have to start with bodyweight exercises.

Work tuff 1 day, then even tuffer on something else the next

Hi Tok,

In my experience it’s perfectly ok to train the same muscle two days in a row. There are certain speculations that you need to adhere to if you want to do so however.

1. Don’t train to failure.
  2. Use different exercises on each day
  3. Use different rep ranges

You should really check out some of Chad Waterbury’s articles on this site. He is a big advocate of high frequency training, and I for one have noticed great results since begginning to apply some of his principles into my own workouts.

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]Tok wrote:
Is it any good to train the same body part lighty two days in a row instead of training hard a single day. This becaurse of not having time to train many sets.[/quote]

Not too many sets? Is 5x5 or 4x8 considered too many sets for you? I mean, 5x5 should take no more than 10 minutes (and THAT is making is too long).

I do it very often. I don’t follow any diet or training program and that allows me to stop thinking and pay attention to how the body feels. If I am too fatigued to lift the same body part hard two days in a row I will know it. Usually it’s not a problem though.

i don’t like the idea of ‘training body parts’.

train exercises and types of motions… as those exercises progress, so do the muscles involved.

i train similar exercises virtually every day. one day i’ll do shoulder width grip underhand chins, the next day i’ll do wide-grip overhand chins, the next day i’ll do bent-over overhand barbell rows, etc…

it depends on your program and your conditioning.

here is the golden rule: if your performance is improving, you’re moderating your volume appropriately, if your performance stalls or regresses, you’re doing something wrong .

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
It depends on the overall program really.

The whole notion of don’t work the same muscle 2 days in a row comes from BB style workouts of high volume.

That’s like saying that if you lift weights today you can’t do your job tomorrow (if you do any lifting). With the right program you can effectively work the same muscle group 2 days in a row without problems.[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

listen to this guy.

[quote]AlphaDragon wrote:
Tok wrote:
Is it any good to train the same body part lighty two days in a row instead of training hard a single day. This becaurse of not having time to train many sets.

Not too many sets? Is 5x5 or 4x8 considered too many sets for you? I mean, 5x5 should take no more than 10 minutes (and THAT is making is too long).

[/quote]

i don’t necessarily agree with that. 5 x 5 in 10 minutes is a trainee with good recuperation <assuming he’s using appropriate percentages and his performance doesn’t diminish in the last sets>.

some people might need more time than that.

if your performance is dminishing in the last sets and you can’t get all your reps out, it means your rest times are too short for your current level of conditioning… or you’re not conditioned enough for that volume in one workout, period.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Hi Tok,

In my experience it’s perfectly ok to train the same muscle two days in a row. There are certain speculations that you need to adhere to if you want to do so however.

1. Don’t train to failure.
  2. Use different exercises on each day
  3. Use different rep ranges

You should really check out some of Chad Waterbury’s articles on this site. He is a big advocate of high frequency training, and I for one have noticed great results since begginning to apply some of his principles into my own workouts.

Good training,

Sentoguy[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

also good advice.