T Nation

Same Game, Different Century?

"In 70 BC Rome was still a Republic, which placed very strict limits on what Rulers could do, and more importantly NOT do. But Crassus had no intentions of enduring such limits to his personal power, and contrived a plan.

Crassus seized upon the slave revolt led by Sparticus in order to strike terror into the hearts of Rome, whose garrison Sparticus had already defeated in battle. But Sparticus had no intention of marching on Rome itself, a move he knew to be suicidal. Sparticus and his band wanted nothing to do with the Roman empire and had planned from the start merely to loot enough money from their former owners in the Italian countryside to hire a mercenary fleet in which to sail to freedom.

Sailing away was the last thing Crassus wanted Sparticus to do. He needed a convenient enemy with which to terrorize Rome itself for his personal political gain. So Crassus bribed the mercenary fleet to sail without Sparticus, then positioned two Roman legions in such a way that Sparticus had no choice but to march on Rome.

Terrified of the impending arrival of the much-feared army of gladiators, Rome declared Crassus Praetor. Crassus then crushed Sparticus' army and even though Pompeii took the credit, Crassus was elected Consul of Rome the following year.

With this maneuver, the Romans surrendered their Republican form of government. Soon would follow the first Triumvirate, consisting of Crassus, Pompeii, and Julius Caesar, followed by the reign of the god-like Emperors of Rome."

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=203

I took a course on the Roman/Greek empire this semester and this side plot was never mentioned. The professor went into detail about the gladiator revolt and how, once killed, they crucified all 5000 of them on the road leading to Rome to serve as a warning to others.

I wonder if this little piece of info is true, sounds more like speculation to me.

That article also has no sources listed? Where is this info from? Not much credibility without sources I'm afraid.

Plutarch is a good source.

"Moreover observing how extremely subject the city was to fire, and falling down of houses, by reason of their height and their standing so near together, he bought slaves that were builders and architects, and when he had collected these to the number of more than five hundred, he made it his practice to buy houses that were on fire, and those in the neighborhood, which, in the immediate danger and uncertainty, the proprietors were willing to part with for little, or nothing; so that the greatest part of Rome, at one time or other, came into his hands."

Suetonius' 'Twelve Caesars' is a good read as well.

Sounds like an old proverb I once heard. Jewish, if I'm not mistaken:

"When blood runs in the streets, buy property."

It sounds exactly like the plot from the movie Spartacus: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054331/

I have no idea of the historical accuracy of either HH's post or the movie.

I believe the Reichstag fire of 1933 in germany was a similar tactic as well.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/riseofhitler/burns.htm

It becomes almost a necessity, if you have a government subject to a voting populace. Most people want minimalist government; the only way to get them to support bigger government is to create problems.

Look at environmentalism.

cool stuff thanks. Yah, we had to read some of "Twelve Caesars" for class.

I would punch the author of the text in the face right now if he was in front of me. The idiot really thinks Bosnian war was orchestrated by the US? I hope he never experiences how is it to survire shellings every day on your home town, and the rest of the world just sits and watches.

Why should the rest of the world care about some neo-ottoman uncle toms who never gave a fuck about the christian people of the region's plight. Bosnians are two-faced, when Serbia is eradicating this post-colonial wart,it's all about 'save me save me,' but when you're helping the turks terrorize and enslave serbia, croatia and all the rest, you just enjoy the wealth and leisure of being sellouts w/o a peep.

WTF are you talking about?

Let me rephrase.

Bosnia were/are sell-out, to foreign muslim invaders of Europe. These invaders, enslaved, belittled, and abuse the kingdoms they came into, kingdoms such as as Albania and Bosnia who sold out and converted/encouraged islam, were given preferential treatment, and favored positions within the imperial administration of the region. Christian were treated like shyt. When your benefactor patron left, Tito saved the place as he told everone to forget history and look to the future. When his beautiful idea fell through, people remembered their history, and they didn't forget the injustice. Serbia enlarged, Croatia enlarged, the bully of Bosnia became the bullied, and then wimpered for the world to help- noone cared except some jihadis from the middle east, till clinton stepped in.

I don't know why he cared. I mean if China invaded the USA, and the Mayor of New York decreed Communism and Atheism the official doctrines and encouraged Chinese languauge and culture at the expense of our own. Further, served as a colonial uncle tom over our nation with prefered treatment from our dominator. When we sloughed Chinese rule, woudl it be wrong for us to take care of the New York Benedict Arnold issue? Me thinks not.

Same shit, different continent.

Situation was more complex than you think, I'll write about it in a few hours.

at least you got a story out of it.

Don't we have a political forum? Why is this here?

History. We don't have a history forum. I do see your point however.

The analogous situation between Rome and ourselves has always been of interest to me. Could GW Bush be our Severus Alexander? :wink: (Historians often regard him as the 'calm before the storm' wrt Roman collapse.)

I figure that Barry is our Diocletian.

Balkan wars of the '90 had nothing with religion hatred. The Turks left a century before the wars, I don't think there was much anger because of what they did centuries before that. Pure nationalism.

So the bosniak national identity, serbian, and croatian ones are not linked to their cultures which are of course not linked to their national religions? Okay. Quite an astounding thesis paper you should be able to write on this.

I live by 60,000 bosnians homes, I've seen your stupid ass broadcasting tower for that allahu akbar shyt three times a day in a goddamn american city for everyone to hear. If you don't think Bosnian identity is some neo-ottoman muslim shyt, then I don't even think you're really Bosnian.