Salter Nutritional Scales

JB recommends one of these scales in his ‘Gourmet Nutrition’ book. In searching online, it appears there are several models. Does anyone have one they recommend? Thanks in advance.

I’ve got a Chefmate (Target’s line of kitchen ware) scale. It does the macro breakdown and all that fancy stuff. I only bought it because the price labels were screwed up and I thought it was $20. Unless you’re being super strict and constantly using different foods, it’s pretty useless. You’re better off buying pretty much anything else you can think of.

If you’re just trying to measure the weight of your food to be consistent with serving size, any digital scale should do. Bells and whistles don’t really make a difference here. You can go to bed bath and beyond if you want to check them out in person.

[quote]drew1021 wrote:
If you’re just trying to measure the weight of your food to be consistent with serving size, any digital scale should do. Bells and whistles don’t really make a difference here. You can go to bed bath and beyond if you want to check them out in person.[/quote]

a tare feature is nice to have so you can zero it with a plate or bowl. or if you’re adding multiple ingredients into a bowl you can zero it inbetween additions. also some of them auto shut-off pretty quick which can be a pain if you’re not done measuring yet, like if have to get more from the fridge or open another package or whatever. i have an inexpensive model from soehnle which has worked well for about 3 years now.

[quote]swivel wrote:
drew1021 wrote:
If you’re just trying to measure the weight of your food to be consistent with serving size, any digital scale should do. Bells and whistles don’t really make a difference here. You can go to bed bath and beyond if you want to check them out in person.

a tare feature is nice to have so you can zero it with a plate or bowl. or if you’re adding multiple ingredients into a bowl you can zero it inbetween additions. also some of them auto shut-off pretty quick which can be a pain if you’re not done measuring yet, like if have to get more from the fridge or open another package or whatever. i have an inexpensive model from soehnle which has worked well for about 3 years now. [/quote]

I just bought an My Weigh i5000 from Old Will Knott. His prices beat most I’ve seen. My Weigh has a nutritional scale for about $49. I agree with Swivel on the tare function. Also, since your working in the kitchen using wet and powdery ingredients, sealed buttons on the front of the scale is a good feature too.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=315

[quote]MizzouDawg wrote:
JB recommends one of these scales in his ‘Gourmet Nutrition’ book. In searching online, it appears there are several models. Does anyone have one they recommend? Thanks in advance. [/quote]

the model 6300 is really good and not too expensive I have been using it for a while. Do you go to Mizzou or are you just from Missouri?

Go to staples or office max get a mailing scale they are made usually by the same ppl look more industrial and not all fancy for your kictchen. have the same or more features and cheaper your not paying for the pretty covering.

Phill