Salt Pre-Workout

That would be a solid choice.

I don’t place any real value on the source, like caves, sea, or geographic location. There may be some trace minerals of some sort but I’m not consuming enough to make any difference.

1 Like

I think that a teaspoon of table salt ends up being more salt than a teaspoon of sea salt because of the flakes.

With regards to different kinds of salt I have a tough time with the processed/unprocessed debate as salt is salt, but in general I have reasonsed as such that things that combine in nature are hopefully more recognisable to our biology and that the odds are favourable that they’ll be ingested more easily/better. Take, for instance, table salt with added iodine, compared to sea salt which already has iodine. I’m heuristically, without looking up sources, going to reason that the latter might be a better carrier of iodine.

The statement that 99% of the American population is salt depleted is not something I know what to do with, what does that even mean? How can a population simultaneously be salt depleted while simultaneously be overconsuming sodium?

As I understand it, and I’m quoting from memory, is that the average person within the USA is overconsuming sodium as a consequence of consuming a diet that is predominantly made up of pre-packaged meals and heavily processed stuff. Now, I don’t live nor have I ever lived within the US. I haven’t even visited it. And so ,I have no way to gauge whether or not this is true, nor is it possible for me to give real examples of how that applies to different demographics or across income levels. But, I’d “guesstimate” that the dietary make-up of the average T-nation reader and the US-average are dissimilar enough that the T-nation reader might be sodium deficient as they have too little sodium coming in through their diet (especially if seafood isn’t a staple of their diet) and what little they do have coming in goes out when they sweat during exercise.

However, it should be noted that a lot of supplements already come with salt added to them. I noticed on my EAA container for instance that there is salt in there. There’s some added to my whey as well, and so on.

1 Like

Cyclic dextrine ?

Yes, HBCD stands for highly-branched cyclic dextrin.

Speaking from personal experience, 1lb pickles the night before a hard workout = serious pump :rofl:

I use Gaspari Glycofuse. Ever tried it ?

Nope! :slight_smile:

Tasty. I do @ 25 grams, plus @5 gms salt, creatine

Table salt comes from natural salt deposits. Sea salt, like table salt, is processed; it’s the solids remaining after the evaporation of the water, which is essentially how natural salt deposits are formed.

Sea salt has only trace amounts (approximately 64 µg/kg, according to the American Chemical Society) of iodine, but can vary slightly based on the geographic location from which it is harvested.

Pre-workout is Controlled Labs Glycergrow V2, Citrulline Malate and Beta Alanine.

I have also read Agmatine Sulfate can be excellent for pumps.

I’m not sure of that. Sodium helps move glucose into cells and may decrease insulin required to move glucose into muscles.

2 Likes

Yea. Sounds suspect. Im sure sodium is absorbed efficiently on its own.

Damn, so in that case should I do glucose on itself post workout?

When would the best time be fore sodium then?

No, its not the insulin you want per-se, it is the driving of glucose into muscles. Sodium increases the sensitivity to insulin so you get the same effect with less insulin which is even better because it protects muscles but still mobilized fat for energy.

Ooh dang! So ima keep doing it then.

I remember a jujimufu video where Stan is going all on using two different sugars (glucose and fructose I think), because it absorbs faster, even faster if you add salt, and even faster if you add caffeine.

I feel like a lot of his stuff is pretty anecdotal, but if it works for high level athletes, I’m with it

Jeff Nippard shared a study that suggested that one reason for using two different sugars (glucose and fructose) was that they use “different intestinal transporters for absorption.” He cited a Ph.D dissertation from Jorn Trommelen.

1 Like

Fructose will refill liver glycogen without requiring insulin, and allowing glucose to preferentially move into muscle cells. If you just take glucose, it gets split about 1/3 to the liver and 2/3 to muscle but which some fructose, it goes straight to the liver through the hepatic portal vein, and lets muscle reload faster, though that is primarily in the case of glycogen supercompensation after extensive depletion by endurance activities. Galactose in milk may work similarly. Best evidence post workout carb breakdown to refill glycogen in 25 grams fructose and 50 grams glucose.

1 Like

What about GI in this context?

So, post-workout glut-4 is activated and you don’t really need insulin to replenish glycogen. Depending on how lean you are, it’d make sense to opt for something that’s “medium” GI? Like, if you are abs lean, then you are sensitive to insulin anyway so a high GI fruit or rice or whatever seems perfect but if you are a bit fluffy then something thats 60-70 would effectively replenish muscle glycogen without producing a huge insulin output.

No, yes?

There was a thread on here speaking about the merits of chocolate milk that was kind of interesting. On the phase of it, having some of all different kinds of sugars might make sense. I think Nippard is pretty big on that idea too.

That makes sense about the Orange Juice/Salt/Dextrose post workout that I saw some Vertical Diet guys do:

I’m guessing to get 50g glucose/25g fructose you’d have to reach for fruit juice/honey/dried fruit assuming you want to eat something besides fruit post-workout?