Salt Lake City Gym?

I’m coming to Salt Lake City to do some skiing, but will be staying in Downtown SLC and will need to hit the gym at least twice for a speed bench session and a light squat session. Any suggestions on a downtown gym that might work?

[hijack]

Anybody like SLC punk?

The only place I’ve heard of in SLC that caters to heavy lifting is Ripped Fitness in Draper. It’s about 20-30 min from downtown, but it’s the best there is from what I’ve heard. Here is the address:

12896 Pony Express Rd # 50
Draper, UT 84020
(801) 572-1112

If you try it, let me know how it is as I’ll be going to SLC next month!

If it’s not too late, you might e-mail/PM Dan John, as he lives in/near SLC. He’d probably know of a good gym.

I live in SLC and if you find a hard-core gym please let me know!!!

There are alot of gold’s all over the valley, that is always an option. I train at a gym called XCEL that is in holladay, which is 20 min from downtown. It is a little preppy but they have some great equipment (squat cages, bands, chains, etc.). Plus you could probably get a week pass for free, i do it all the time for my friends.

Where are you skiing by the way? Park City, Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon? The skiing here is the best bar none! But i am biased of course…Have fun!

You could go give the people at Planet Fitness a heart attack, lol.

I would probably go with Viking Rob’s suggestion or contact Dan John. I am lucky and get to lift with the lifting club at the U so I don’t know of any places around the valley to lift.

[quote]vikingrob wrote:

There are alot of gold’s all over the valley, that is always an option. I train at a gym called XCEL that is in holladay, which is 20 min from downtown. It is a little preppy but they have some great equipment (squat cages, bands, chains, etc.). Plus you could probably get a week pass for free, i do it all the time for my friends.

Where are you skiing by the way? Park City, Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon? The skiing here is the best bar none! But i am biased of course…Have fun![/quote]

How is that XCEL gym? I’ve read some mixed reviews about it online; some say it’s great while others say it’s just horrible. Have you been to any of the other XCELs in the area?

[quote]ultimatethor wrote:
vikingrob wrote:

Where are you skiing by the way? Park City, Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon? The skiing here is the best bar none! But i am biased of course…Have fun!

How is that XCEL gym? I’ve read some mixed reviews about it online; some say it’s great while others say it’s just horrible. Have you been to any of the other XCELs in the area?[/quote]

It is an okay gym that suits my needs. It would be nice if there were some more hard core heavy lifters there. I am not that strong and probably am one of the strongest guys there.

One thing that really pissed me off is customers were complaining about me getting a little chalk on the ground lol! So they banned me from using it, which infuriated me!

The other XCELs were bought out by 24 and are pretty much the same, but without the bumper plates. For the most part i like it there.

Hey all, I just did a workout at Ripped Fitness in Draper and let me tell you it was worth the trip. They have all new stuff there, Forza benches, a deadlift platform, reverse hypers, etc. whatever a hardcore lifter could want. They play good music and have PL stuff all over the place.

It’s only about 20 min from downtown and the owners are super nice. I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a hardcore gym in SLC (vikingrob!). I only wish I was staying longer so I could go again!