T Nation

Salt, Beef (Transfat) & Oatmeal (Allergen)


#1

I have 3 questions so I figured I'd put them in one thread instead of making 3, hopefully the info won't get too cluttered.

  1. All I really have access to is typical table salt which apparently is iodized and has dextrose in it. On a very low carb diet is this something to worry about? I know I need higher salt because of such low carbs so would with added dextrose (even though its probably a small amount) mess with this?

  2. I was looking online to find info on ground beef. http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-ground-beef-ground-80-lean-pan-fried_f-Y2lkPTQxMDEwJmJpZD0xJmZpZD03MDEyNSZlaWQ9NDQ4MTI3OTM0JnBvcz0yJnBhcj0ma2V5PWdyb3VuZCBiZWVm.html Apparently there is trans fat in just plain ground beef?? I though trans fat came from hydrogenating it so how is this?

  3. I've read from CT and Poliquin that Oatmeal is actually a common allergen. Since adding in more carbs/oatmeal to my diet I've definitely had much worse gas and wonder if this is from the added oatmeal (0.5-1.75 cups a day). Does anyone know if cream of wheat is a common allergen as well? Because I'm thinking of switching my oatmeal to that instead.

Thanks


#2
  1. Probably not enough to worry about.
  2. Probably not enough to worry about. Some trans fats occur naturally at low concentrations, low enough to be negligible.

#3

you might be gassy from the added fiber in the oatmeal. to check for a food allergy measure your temperature and heart rate on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. then eat a bowl of plain oatmeal and check your temperature and heart rate again. a food allergy usually causes a spike in one or the other if not both.


#4

[quote]elih8er wrote:

  1. Probably not enough to worry about.
  2. Probably not enough to worry about. Some trans fats occur naturally at low concentrations, low enough to be negligible. [/quote]

Well according to what I posted even just 4oz. of ground beef would have 1.3g of trans fat. Considering I’d eat maybe about 6-8oz. thats over 2g a day and although that is a really small amount I’ve read that even very small amounts of trans fat can be terrible for you. I never knew it was a naturally occurring fat.

[quote]mikepop878 wrote:
you might be gassy from the added fiber in the oatmeal. to check for a food allergy measure your temperature and heart rate on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. then eat a bowl of plain oatmeal and check your temperature and heart rate again. a food allergy usually causes a spike in one or the other if not both. [/quote]

I’ve never heard of that, but wouldn’t heart rate raise slightly just from going from not eating all night to eating a big meal anyway even if you didn’t have any allergy? I don’t have a working thermometer unfortunately.

Mainly I was wondering if cream of wheat is a common allergen like oatmeal.


#5

#6

CLA is a trans fatty acid, found naturally in Meat and dairy, Biotest has it in their fish oil (Flameout).


#7

Hm thats interesting, I wasn’t aware of that. So nothing to worry about?

I saw this from wikipedia looking up CLA "Conjugated linoleic acid is both a trans fatty acid and a cis fatty acid. The cis bond causes a lower melting point and ostensibly also the observed beneficial health effects. Unlike other trans fatty acids, it is not harmful, but beneficial.[10] CLA is conjugated, and in the United States, trans linkages in a conjugated system are not counted as trans fats for the purposes of nutritional regulations and labeling. "

So would there be a full 1.5g or so in 4oz. of beef? I guess it doesn’t make sense that “natural” just ground up beef would have bad trans fats in them so I guess so. The above says they don’t include CLA as a trans fat on labeling yet trans fat was labeled on the link I posted earlier for the beef but maybe thats just so they can be as specific as possible on the site?

Thanks or the input by the way


#8

Wheat is one of the more common food allergies especially as an adult onset allergen. If you look at a lot of food labels, it’s very common to see “this product does (or may) contain wheat products or is produced in a facility that also processes wheat products.” I believe specifically the wheat gluten is the most common allergy, but I could be wrong. Food allergens can manifest in a variety of ways, so if you’re really concerned about it, see an internist or other MD with allergy specialization, they can do a very quick and simple test for the most common food, drug, and other environmental allergies.


#9

[quote]LHT wrote:
Wheat is one of the more common food allergies especially as an adult onset allergen. If you look at a lot of food labels, it’s very common to see “this product does (or may) contain wheat products or is produced in a facility that also processes wheat products.” I believe specifically the wheat gluten is the most common allergy, but I could be wrong. Food allergens can manifest in a variety of ways, so if you’re really concerned about it, see an internist or other MD with allergy specialization, they can do a very quick and simple test for the most common food, drug, and other environmental allergies. [/quote]

Well in that case wouldn’t cream of wheat be even more likely to be an allergen than oatmeal since oatmeal is wheat free? Hm…so confused!


#10

Well, it would be two separate allergies…you can be allergic to oats but not wheat, or vice-versa. Do you have a lot of allergies in general?

I’ve known people who seem to be allergic to everything under the sun, but most of those people has such conditions from childhood. Though it’s possible, it’s not probable that you are allergic to both, especially as an adult-onset allergy. In other words, sure you could be allergic to both, but it’s not that likely. If you don’t get gassy with normal wheat bread, you’re probably fine with cream of wheat.

And hey, there’s always cornmeal porridge! Or quinoa, or amaranth…I haven’t ever met anyone allergic to either of those plants.


#11

So the .5 g trans fats per serving in my hebrew national beef dogs has nothing to do with something called “hydrolyzed soy protein”?

and apparently its a different kind of trans fat than the really scary stuff?


#12

The FDA does not classify CLA as a trans fat, so presumably the nutritional listing mentioned is not referring to CLA.

This would leave vaccenic acid as the likely trans fat naturally found in ruminant meat and being counted as trans fat in nutritional information listings and on labels.

Vaccenic acid can be converted in the body to CLA.

There seems to be no indication of harmful effect of vaccenic acid and some indication of possible benefit.

The hydrolyzed soy protein would have nothing to do with the trans fat listing.

I wouldn’t be concerned about it. As mentioned in other posts, this differs from trans fats resulting from partial hydrogenation.