T Nation

Salmon as Egg Substitute?

Marveling over the recent accomplishments of @flappinit on the egg consumption front during his recent conquering of BTM …

There’s no way in the world I could get down even a quarter of that amount of eggs every day for six weeks. What would be the effect of swapping out the whole egg requirement of a program like Building the Monolith (Btm) with salmon (or steelhead trout, which is what I tend to eat instead)?

The only micro nutrient issues I can see are fixable by supplementing a bit with nuts, olive oil, and some cheese - all of which are part of my diet any way, more or less, especially olive oil. I wouldn’t want to match eggs calorie for calorie with salmon per BtM (that would be 1.5+ lbs of fish a day). But, for someone who hates eggs, could salmon be a solution?

Don’t see why not. I don’t really know just how anti-inflammatory omega-3 is but that’s one difference between the two. And the protein from egg-whites is pretty rapidly digested as I understand it.

Probably a better alternative than hiding the eggs by baking tons of pastries at least.

Be mindful of mercury, I guess? Make some of those nuts Brazil nuts

1 Like

The omega-3 edge favors salmon, right?

One of the benefits of living in the Pacific Northwest is consistent access to quality salmon/steelhead, I’ve been making a hash out of turkey sausage and steelhead on my non-bodybuilding days and having 3-6 oz/day of that along with some extra sharp cheddar cheese and a selenium supplement (since I have no self control when it comes to nuts).

I hear there’s omega-3 enriched eggs but that wasn’t really the point I’m making. Omega-3s are good, but they’re also anti-inflammatory. We want some inflammation. Depending on how much of the eggs you replace with salmon, maybe you could get too much of a good thing (too much omega-3).

Maybe @mertdawg knows something about a happy upper-bound to set on omega-3 intake?

1 Like

2-4 grams AVERAGE a day (they can be dosed higher but less frequently). Higher relative amounts have shown higher death rates in rats, and high Omega-3s have shown negative affects in treating and preventing heart disease which makes sense since Omega-3s (like Omega-6s) carry oxidative free radicals that can cause microvascular lesion. This is why high omega-6 (and not saturated fat as was the “wisdom” in the 70s, and 80s and still preached by some doctors) is the likely culprit in the beginning stages of heart disease. Omega-6s are inflammatory and carry oxidative free radicals. Omega-3s are antiinflammatory but still carry oxidative free radicals. (Saturated and monounsatured fat don’t carry oxidative free radicals around the bloodstream.) Specifically, I would stay near the bottom of the 2-4 gram level (2 grams) but keep omega-6s low (no corn oil, soybean oil, etc). I can firmly say that the best evidence now suggests 2-4 grams a day, erring on the low side, but keeping Omega-6s around 6 grams a day. The more omega-6 you get, the more omega-3 you need, but they both raise oxidative stress.

Studies looked at mega-dosing heart patients with Omega-3s, and found negative effects. Keep in mind that a 1 gram fish oil cap is only .3 to .6 grams of omega-3. Poliquin recommended very high Omega-3 intake, but I was always afraid for him.

I would not turn to eating a lot of Salmon every day. You could probably handle a 4 ounce serving every day though.

2 Likes

What is BTM and how many eggs did he eat? Was it for the protein or the yolk content mainly?

Thanks! The world of omega fats is more complicated than I thought!

By the way, BTM is “Building the Monolith” a Jim Wendler program that calls for eating 12 whole eggs and 1.5 pounds of ground beef a day for six weeks or so as the nutritional accompaniment.