Sales Tax on Gasoline

Suppose that your state has an 8% sales tax. When gas was $1.50, you’d pay 12 cents in sales tax. At $3, you’re paying 24 cents. Your taxes got DOUBLED! Why can’t the states roll back the sales tax? They don’t, because they’ve got a convenient scapegoat. Guess who?

Add up all the taxes buried in the price of gasoline, and I think we’ll find the REAL culprit in this gouging.

HH

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Suppose that your state has an 8% sales tax. When gas was $1.50, you’d pay 12 cents in sales tax. At $3, you’re paying 24 cents. Your taxes got DOUBLED! Why can’t the states roll back the sales tax? They don’t, because they’ve got a convenient scapegoat. Guess who?

Add up all the taxes buried in the price of gasoline, and I think we’ll find the REAL culprit in this gouging.

HH[/quote]

In Texas there is no sales tax on gasoline - there is a per gallon tax on fuel.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

HH

In Texas there is no sales tax on gasoline - there is a per gallon tax on fuel.[/quote]

I think that’s what he meant to say. Unless things have changed in Ohio since I left almost 5 years ago, there is no sales tax on gasoline there either.

There is not sales tax on gas in NJ but there is a tax per gallon. Ironically, we have some of the lowest gas prices in the NE and all our stations are ‘Full Service’.

Go figure?

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
There is not sales tax on gas in NJ but there is a tax per gallon. Ironically, we have some of the lowest gas prices in the NE and all our stations are ‘Full Service’.

Go figure?[/quote]

What are you paying up there?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

HH
[/quote]
ummmm…that’s how math works! If you double the price of something you double the total taxes paid. Your tax rate did not go up, however, the price you pay for the service did.

If you ask me they should just get rid of income tax and use GST or VAT. As it is we get gouged twice…once on April 15 and then the rest of the year when we buy stuff. Suppose you pay 20% to Fed, 10% to State, now add 7% to that for sales tax and you realize you pay a whopping 37% of your income in taxes. Now realize that this is relatively the same rate that socialized European nations pay for their taxes and ask yourself why do we still pay for our own healthcare, education, and have virtually no social welfare programs?

Thank you war-machine.

I’m not aware of any percent based gas tax for this reason. Ohio has a set cents/gallon tax.

EDIT: Apparently a few states have an additional sales tax on gasoline, see post below.

Here’s a chart listing the tax on gasoline across the country:

http://www.ohiogasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

whooptee-friggen’ doo.

if you don’t want to pay taxes, don’t buy anything, and don’t make any money.

I’m sick of all this damned whining, you sound like a German. (not that I have anything against Germans - some close friends of mine are Germans, but they DO have the cultural trait of complaining about EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME).

Hm, lets have a look:

Current Price for 1 Liter Gasoline= 1,40 E

=1 Gallon=5,31 E

=1 Gallon=6,85 $

35,72% Gasoline Tax

10,72% “Ecology” Tax

13,58% Sales Tax

=60,02% Taxes

Since 1950 the taxation of gasoline has increased by 2450%.

@knewsom

I guess thats true, above you can see one reason why.

But i can legally go 180 mph on our highways…

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

HH

ummmm…that’s how math works! If you double the price of something you double the total taxes paid. Your tax rate did not go up, however, the price you pay for the service did.

If you ask me they should just get rid of income tax and use GST or VAT. As it is we get gouged twice…once on April 15 and then the rest of the year when we buy stuff. Suppose you pay 20% to Fed, 10% to State, now add 7% to that for sales tax and you realize you pay a whopping 37% of your income in taxes. Now realize that this is relatively the same rate that socialized European nations pay for their taxes and ask yourself why do we still pay for our own healthcare, education, and have virtually no social welfare programs?

Thank you war-machine.[/quote]

um, dude, our VAT is 20%. We pay more like 50-70% in taxes depending on the income.

Oh, and there is a mineral oil tax which is added to the prize of gasoline and then the VAT comes on top of it.

There is also a tax when you buy a car , depending on its fuel efficiency, and yes, a VAT of 20% is added on top.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

Go figure?

What are you paying up there?[/quote]

If you look hard enough, you can find a gallon for $2.99, but mostly around $3.05 and thereabouts.

[quote]Ken Kaniff wrote:
But i can legally go 180 mph on our highways…[/quote]

lol - I’d gladly pay that much for gas if I could drive that fast…! MAN. Next time I’m in Europe, I’ll have to drive on the continent instead of just in the UK. 'course, enforcement is practically NIL in Britain, so I drove like a maniac there…

[quote]doogie wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

Go figure?

What are you paying up there?[/quote]

I can find regular unleaded for less then $3 just about anywhere on Route 17 in Bergen County.

[quote]orion wrote:
um, dude, our VAT is 20%. We pay more like 50-70% in taxes depending on the income.

Oh, and there is a mineral oil tax which is added to the prize of gasoline and then the VAT comes on top of it.

There is also a tax when you buy a car , depending on its fuel efficiency, and yes, a VAT of 20% is added on top. [/quote]

Ja, das ist ganz quatsch! We have similar taxes for certain products depending on where we lives–though not nearly as high.

To tell you the truth I don’t think most Americans really know how much they pay in taxes becasue the laws change every year. Is there an equivalent to the IRS in Austria?

orion wrote:

There is also a tax when you buy a car , depending on its fuel efficiency, and yes, a VAT of 20% is added on top.

Ja, das ist ganz quatsch! We have similar taxes for certain products depending on where we lives–though not nearly as high.

To tell you the truth I don’t think most Americans really know how much they pay in taxes becasue the laws change every year. Is there an equivalent to the IRS in Austria? [/quote]

Yes, the “Finanzamt” but I am not nearly impressed with them as I am with the social security institutions.

If you forget to pay them, they run to court to have your firm declared bancrupt after around 4-6 weeks.

I think most people are not even aware that realistically they get only a small percentage of what they helped produce, since the government collects a lot of money before they even get a paycheck.

So if you cost your employer 4000$, 2000 is your money before taxes and whatever is left “after” taxes will be taxed again with indirect taxes.

I think it is fair to say that if you get to keep 20% of what you contributed, it is quite a lot and you need that to stay strong and healthy to be taxed again in the next month.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are beasts of burden.

I need to get drunk now.

[quote]orion wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
orion wrote:

To tell you the truth I don’t think most Americans really know how much they pay in taxes becasue the laws change every year. Is there an equivalent to the IRS in Austria?

Yes, the “Finanzamt” but I am not nearly impressed with them as I am with the social security institutions.

If you forget to pay them, they run to court to have your firm declared bancrupt after around 4-6 weeks.

I think most people are not even aware that realistically they get only a small percentage of what they helped produce, since the government collects a lot of money before they even get a paycheck.

So if you cost your employer 4000$, 2000 is your money before taxes and whatever is left “after” taxes will be taxed again with indirect taxes.

I think it is fair to say that if you get to keep 20% of what you contributed, it is quite a lot and you need that to stay strong and healthy to be taxed again in the next month.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are beasts of burden.

I need to get drunk now.
[/quote]
Feierabend, bereits?

How do people afford to live? Or are they paid above the cost of living to account for taxes? Or does this mean that there is just less money to buy needless shit?

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
doogie wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

Go figure?

What are you paying up there?

I can find regular unleaded for less then $3 just about anywhere on Route 17 in Bergen County.[/quote]

I paid $2.63 this morning. You should pump it yourself.

Feierabend, bereits?

How do people afford to live? Or are they paid above the cost of living to account for taxes? Or does this mean that there is just less money to buy needless shit?[/quote]

I am hours ahead of you (5-7 ?).

I think in the end most people are allowed to keep just enough money to have some fun, without getting too uppity or have too much time to think.

While I do agree that they would only buy useless shit (most of the time), that is pretty much what the government does a lot of the time.

I`d seriously rather see someone spending his own money on drugs, betting and hookers than the government building a bridge to nowhere…

Anyway, my real question is this:

If slavery means that my master keeps everything but must give me food and shelter, and freedom means that I get to keep 20% to pay for my own food and shelter while giving everything else to my master, where is difference?

Ps: I know that slavery is a touchy subject and yes, I am aware that my quality of living is much higher. I was not necessarily talking about black slaves in the 19th century.

PPS: What if my government answers the same way my master would have answered me, that I am too dump to know what is good for me and thus too dumb to spend my own money.

[quote]orion wrote:
I`d seriously rather see someone spending his own money on drugs, betting and hookers than the government building a bridge to nowhere…
[/quote]
I want a bridge built directly from my garage to my work parking space.

Yeah, it seems there should be a more fare way to divy up the goods.

This is one of the major differences in our countries. Your government idirectly controls what you spend on yourself and thus keeps control of the government as a whole; whereas in the US we spend all our money on useless shit and indirectly give all our power to corporations (oil companies for example) who get laws written to further their causes and thus take more of our power away. Democracy? Me thinks not.