Salary Negotiation

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
While you’re already quite a bit past that point, one of the plusses of working with a recruiter is that they can insulate you from the salary negotiations. You can be pretty upfront with them about exactly how much you want to be paid, how much vacation/leave, etc.

My dialogue went pretty much like this:
“So, you’re probably looking in the $xx-$yy range?”
“That would be great, but isn’t it a bit higher than what I can expect?”
“It’s worth a try isn’t it?”
“Well, in that case, sure, that sounds fine.”

My recruiter talked me into about a 10% increase over what I reasonably thought I could get. (They got a percentage based commission on the deal, so it worked out well for everyone involved.)[/quote]

When your profile goes from the recruiter to the prospective company salary expectations go in. High level recruiters also discuss your push/pull factors for the new position. A recruiter is supposed to manage both candidate and employer expectations however there are shitty candidates as much as there are shitty recruiters and employers. I’ve seen all types in my professional career.

I think it’s worth always picking up salary surveys. Recruiters like Adecco and Hays put them out yearly. However the better ones ($$) are from Watson Wyatt and Mercer. Normally the last two is the go to for HR.

Know your worth.[/quote]

I was moving to a different city, and I knew what I was worth in the city I was coming from. From what I HAD researched, salaries actually drop a bit coming this way. (As well as cost of living.) So, my expectation was to pretty much maintain my salary, while living in a cheaper city. The fact that the recruiter was able to push almost 10% above that surprised me.

On the other hand, initial discussions – with any of the parties – would never have happened if there wasn’t a rough salary range to begin with. I just never expected I’d be brought in at the very top of that range. Once I’d gone through all the hoops, and they decided to hire me, my recruiter pushed for a bit more. Apparently they still wanted me.

That being said… it doesn’t sound like it’s at all relevant to the OP. My advice is to get the skills and experience so that if you’re looking for a job 3-5 years from now, you show up on the top of everyone’s list. (And when you get there, don’t let it go to your head… because they’ll expect you to deliver.)

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
While you’re already quite a bit past that point, one of the plusses of working with a recruiter is that they can insulate you from the salary negotiations. You can be pretty upfront with them about exactly how much you want to be paid, how much vacation/leave, etc.

My dialogue went pretty much like this:
“So, you’re probably looking in the $xx-$yy range?”
“That would be great, but isn’t it a bit higher than what I can expect?”
“It’s worth a try isn’t it?”
“Well, in that case, sure, that sounds fine.”

My recruiter talked me into about a 10% increase over what I reasonably thought I could get. (They got a percentage based commission on the deal, so it worked out well for everyone involved.)[/quote]

When your profile goes from the recruiter to the prospective company salary expectations go in. High level recruiters also discuss your push/pull factors for the new position. A recruiter is supposed to manage both candidate and employer expectations however there are shitty candidates as much as there are shitty recruiters and employers. I’ve seen all types in my professional career.

I think it’s worth always picking up salary surveys. Recruiters like Adecco and Hays put them out yearly. However the better ones ($$) are from Watson Wyatt and Mercer. Normally the last two is the go to for HR.

Know your worth.[/quote]

I was moving to a different city, and I knew what I was worth in the city I was coming from. From what I HAD researched, salaries actually drop a bit coming this way. (As well as cost of living.) So, my expectation was to pretty much maintain my salary, while living in a cheaper city. The fact that the recruiter was able to push almost 10% above that surprised me.

On the other hand, initial discussions – with any of the parties – would never have happened if there wasn’t a rough salary range to begin with. I just never expected I’d be brought in at the very top of that range. Once I’d gone through all the hoops, and they decided to hire me, my recruiter pushed for a bit more. Apparently they still wanted me.

That being said… it doesn’t sound like it’s at all relevant to the OP. My advice is to get the skills and experience so that if you’re looking for a job 3-5 years from now, you show up on the top of everyone’s list. (And when you get there, don’t let it go to your head… because they’ll expect you to deliver.)[/quote]

You bring up a good point. Standard of living varies across countries (obviously) and even cities within countries. So you should definitely factor that in. Plus if certain requirements (like childrens education) require you to spend more then you need to factor that in.

Usually I recommend when moving countries to look at taxation, healthcare, education, cost of living (groceries etc), change of lifestyle, allowances, insurance costs etc.

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
This thread could prove useful to myself as well. On Wednesday the 24th Ill be having a my 3 month review. Going to be asking for a raise. The review is for promotion to Assistant manager. The possibility of a full Manager position at a second location has been mentioned. Ive been working my ass off and hate my job. Initial plan was to work here until I got the promotion and then use it as a bargaining chip to try for another job.
The owner is a woman who also publishes very womanny books like ‘be that girl’ etc. I want to be firm but not overstep my boundaries (also known as being ‘douchy’).

I’m just preparing myself for her coming up with some reason to not give me the raise/promotion, despite frequently telling me I’m a lifesaver and thanking me for going above and beyond with my duties. I have some of this praise documented in the form of texts and notes that she left me.
[/quote]

And if they still don’t give you the raise…

(NSFW)

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t have much leverage, and frankly am satisfied with the offer. I am basically asking if a counter-offer is an expected part of the process. This job is the first step of many that I’ll make so I’m not sweating it too hard. It’s just that some sources make it sound like every job offer should be greeted with a counter.[/quote]

Here is what you do:

1. Take the job
  2. Keep your mouth shut, your head down
  3. come in before your boss
  4. Work your ass off
  5. leave after your boss comes home
  6. Educate yourself about your job outside of work
  7. be a team player
  8. in 6 months to a year, then ask for a raise, and have solid reasons as to why you deserve it.

Unless you already have experience and are a hot item in your field, the job market is tough today. Better to get in, prove your salt and then ask for more $, then you ask for it before you prove you are worth it.

[/quote]

As an employer, myself, and as a former employee who successfully applied this formula to rise to the highest achievable position available at the job I held before starting my own business, I enthusiastically, passionately endorse my friend beans’ advice here.

The only thing I would add is that, if you REALLY do this, and I mean, you have to go ALL in, I can assure you that you can disregard number 8. I have an employee right now whom I almost have a hard time keeping up with, and there is no way in hell I am going to let him continue to work at the same salary and bonus he is currently receiving once contract negotiation time rolls around next year. Hell, as it is, he’s so good, I’m afraid to let him go.

If you are that guy, there is no limit to where you can go, what you can do, and certainly no limit to how much money you can earn. Even if you hit the ceiling at your current job, you’ll be prepared and experienced to move on to either a more powerful employer or strike out on your own.

[/quote]

Was your business related to your job or did you start a business in something you were passionate about? Also props for doing it in Japan because business is tough in Japan, not impossible but tough. But also worth the effort. I’ve worked with Japanese clients my entire career, tough and rewarding.[/quote]

Both. I own an extracurricular English school for kids. I worked for another school (Japanese owner) for 5 years, rising to the highest position any person, foreign or Japanese, had yet risen to (a new position title was actually created for me as my responsibilities grew). I finally reached a point where there was no place else I could go. The owner was not interested in expanding his business any further, and there wasn’t a lot more I could learn without getting out and doing it on my own, so I “graduated,” moved to a new city where I knew no one, and managed to get over 100 students enrolled in under three years. We’re now at almost 200 students and still growing at a steady pace, with teachers and managers working beneath me and A LOT of new projects underway to both branch out and add more and more services, value and options for our students and our community.

Am I passionate about my job? You bet I am.

The main reason we are successful is that we are genuinely dedicated to our mission. I am not in this to make a profit. I know it sounds cliched, but that part really does take care of itself. I LOVE teaching, and I particularly love doing here, in what is considered “rural” Japan. There are a lot of warped, xenophobic ideas that start getting drilled into Japanese kids’ heads from a very young age. And the farther from the big cities and community centers you get, the more closed off and limited these ideas tend to become. We are not just here to teach English, but to serve as a model for Japanese young people (primarily) who otherwise would not know anything about the world outside of Japan except the skewed, often nationalistic, sometimes outright racist and overwhelmingly limited notions they are constantly bombarded with in this society. On top of that, we also provide services that allow our kids to take their education to the next level, and actually go overseas and experience life outside of Japan first hand. It is a life-changing experience for every one who had taken part in this and I consider it an honor and a privilege to be able to provide these opportunities, which would not otherwise exist.

To bring this thread back to the point, one of the reasons I was able to do steps 1 through 7 consistently, for years on end, without ever feeling obligated or tired, is because I was doing something I loved doing first. Or, more importantly, I was doing something that had a visible positive impact on the lives of the people I worked with, and that’s why I love it.

Since starting my own business, I put in even MORE hours than I did while working for someone else. I work six days a week, recently often working from 9am until after midnight. And you know what? There’s not been one day, not one. single. day. since I started this school that I have ever uttered the words, “Ugh. I have to go to work today.” I could die today and say that I did alright while I was here. But I’m nowhere near finished yet.

Sorry for the over-long rant, but I love this kind of stuff. One of the coolest things I have learned from the Japanese is how to find the joy and mission in whatever it is you do. The Japanese have a profound respect for work, and it is amazing to watch someone who works at McDonald’s take their position and duties with all of the passion and seriousness as any doctor or artist. I was dumbfounded by this quality at first, but now that I feel like I understand it, I now believe it is one of the most profoundly important ideas available to humankind. It is sadly, sorely lacking in America, which I think explains a LOT of the dissatisfaction and unhappiness that most people never escape from . It doesn’t have to be that way.

If anyone is interested in watching a documentary that perfectly exemplifies the quality I discuss in the last paragraph of my last post, Jiro Dream of Sushi is one of the best movies you will ever see, anywhere. It is a study in the perfection of a craft. And I do mean perfection, in as close as it is possible for any human to attain it.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
If anyone is interested in watching a documentary that perfectly exemplifies the quality I discuss in the last paragraph of my last post, Jiro Dream of Sushi is one of the best movies you will ever see, anywhere. It is a study in the perfection of a craft. And I do mean perfection, in as close as it is possible for any human to attain it. [/quote]

http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2734282-Jiro-Dreams-of-Sushi

Eh, I dont know if its the best movie ever but that was damn good. Those same principles can be used to become better at anything in life. And you really do need to love your job. I remember Matt Kroc saying the same thing and it really striking a chord with me.

Also I am fucking starving for some sushi.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
If anyone is interested in watching a documentary that perfectly exemplifies the quality I discuss in the last paragraph of my last post, Jiro Dream of Sushi is one of the best movies you will ever see, anywhere. It is a study in the perfection of a craft. And I do mean perfection, in as close as it is possible for any human to attain it. [/quote]

http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2734282-Jiro-Dreams-of-Sushi

Eh, I dont know if its the best movie ever but that was damn good. Those same principles can be used to become better at anything in life. And you really do need to love your job. I remember Matt Kroc saying the same thing and it really striking a chord with me.

Also I am fucking starving for some sushi.[/quote]

Glad you saw it!

Just to clarify, my statement “best movie” was connected to the clause before it. I should have been clearer: It’s one of the best movies about dedication to the perfection of a skill or craft you’ll ever watch.

At the beginning I was thinking, “$300 for a single course of sushi?!”

Thirty minutes in, the price seemed perfectly reasonable.

Midway through the movie I’d decided to plan a trip to eat there, myself.

Ten years until you’re allowed to make the eggs!

And then…you see the eggs, and say, “Ahhh, I see.”

And you really do!

Masterful work, masterfully presented.

This thread could prove useful to myself as well. On Wednesday the 24th Ill be having a my 3 month review. Going to be asking for a raise. The review is for promotion to Assistant manager. The possibility of a full Manager position at a second location has been mentioned. Ive been working my ass off and hate my job. Initial plan was to work here until I got the promotion and then use it as a bargaining chip to try for another job.
The owner is a woman who also publishes very womanny books like ‘be that girl’ etc. I want to be firm but not overstep my boundaries (also known as being ‘douchy’).

I’m just preparing myself for her coming up with some reason to not give me the raise/promotion, despite frequently telling me I’m a lifesaver and thanking me for going above and beyond with my duties. I have some of this praise documented in the form of texts and notes that she left me.
[/quote]

Based on this, you don’t deserve the promotion.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t have much leverage, and frankly am satisfied with the offer. I am basically asking if a counter-offer is an expected part of the process. This job is the first step of many that I’ll make so I’m not sweating it too hard. It’s just that some sources make it sound like every job offer should be greeted with a counter.[/quote]

Here is what you do:

1. Take the job
  2. Keep your mouth shut, your head down
  3. come in before your boss
  4. Work your ass off
  5. leave after your boss comes home
  6. Educate yourself about your job outside of work
  7. be a team player
  8. in 6 months to a year, then ask for a raise, and have solid reasons as to why you deserve it.

Unless you already have experience and are a hot item in your field, the job market is tough today. Better to get in, prove your salt and then ask for more $, then you ask for it before you prove you are worth it.

[/quote]

As an employer, myself, and as a former employee who successfully applied this formula to rise to the highest achievable position available at the job I held before starting my own business, I enthusiastically, passionately endorse my friend beans’ advice here.

The only thing I would add is that, if you REALLY do this, and I mean, you have to go ALL in, I can assure you that you can disregard number 8. I have an employee right now whom I almost have a hard time keeping up with, and there is no way in hell I am going to let him continue to work at the same salary and bonus he is currently receiving once contract negotiation time rolls around next year. Hell, as it is, he’s so good, I’m afraid to let him go.

If you are that guy, there is no limit to where you can go, what you can do, and certainly no limit to how much money you can earn. Even if you hit the ceiling at your current job, you’ll be prepared and experienced to move on to either a more powerful employer or strike out on your own.

[/quote]

Was your business related to your job or did you start a business in something you were passionate about? Also props for doing it in Japan because business is tough in Japan, not impossible but tough. But also worth the effort. I’ve worked with Japanese clients my entire career, tough and rewarding.[/quote]

Both. I own an extracurricular English school for kids. I worked for another school (Japanese owner) for 5 years, rising to the highest position any person, foreign or Japanese, had yet risen to (a new position title was actually created for me as my responsibilities grew). I finally reached a point where there was no place else I could go. The owner was not interested in expanding his business any further, and there wasn’t a lot more I could learn without getting out and doing it on my own, so I “graduated,” moved to a new city where I knew no one, and managed to get over 100 students enrolled in under three years. We’re now at almost 200 students and still growing at a steady pace, with teachers and managers working beneath me and A LOT of new projects underway to both branch out and add more and more services, value and options for our students and our community.

Am I passionate about my job? You bet I am.

The main reason we are successful is that we are genuinely dedicated to our mission. I am not in this to make a profit. I know it sounds cliched, but that part really does take care of itself. I LOVE teaching, and I particularly love doing here, in what is considered “rural” Japan. There are a lot of warped, xenophobic ideas that start getting drilled into Japanese kids’ heads from a very young age. And the farther from the big cities and community centers you get, the more closed off and limited these ideas tend to become. We are not just here to teach English, but to serve as a model for Japanese young people (primarily) who otherwise would not know anything about the world outside of Japan except the skewed, often nationalistic, sometimes outright racist and overwhelmingly limited notions they are constantly bombarded with in this society. On top of that, we also provide services that allow our kids to take their education to the next level, and actually go overseas and experience life outside of Japan first hand. It is a life-changing experience for every one who had taken part in this and I consider it an honor and a privilege to be able to provide these opportunities, which would not otherwise exist.

To bring this thread back to the point, one of the reasons I was able to do steps 1 through 7 consistently, for years on end, without ever feeling obligated or tired, is because I was doing something I loved doing first. Or, more importantly, I was doing something that had a visible positive impact on the lives of the people I worked with, and that’s why I love it.

Since starting my own business, I put in even MORE hours than I did while working for someone else. I work six days a week, recently often working from 9am until after midnight. And you know what? There’s not been one day, not one. single. day. since I started this school that I have ever uttered the words, “Ugh. I have to go to work today.” I could die today and say that I did alright while I was here. But I’m nowhere near finished yet.

Sorry for the over-long rant, but I love this kind of stuff. One of the coolest things I have learned from the Japanese is how to find the joy and mission in whatever it is you do. The Japanese have a profound respect for work, and it is amazing to watch someone who works at McDonald’s take their position and duties with all of the passion and seriousness as any doctor or artist. I was dumbfounded by this quality at first, but now that I feel like I understand it, I now believe it is one of the most profoundly important ideas available to humankind. It is sadly, sorely lacking in America, which I think explains a LOT of the dissatisfaction and unhappiness that most people never escape from . It doesn’t have to be that way. [/quote]

This should go in the “Post Hall of Fame”.

Good stuff

Thanks, beans!

If at all appropriate to share, I’m very interested in what kind of “ideas” are being put in these kids heads.

I concur,

great posts Cortes.

If this is your first offer out of school…sorry you are not negotiating. You should be happy you have an opportunity. Thats what it is, you get the shot.

Pay your dues for a while, then you can get your raise or move elsewhere for a higher salary, but you gotta get good experience first. It doesnt come by simply putting your time in. You have to be innovative, dependable etc.

Document everything. If you create a new project that brings in revenue, etc. Or if you reduce error reporting by such and such percentage. Document it. If you get letters of recommendation or good reviews. Document it.

You should never go into raise discussions based on arbitrary notions. You should have all your bases covered in numbers and or writing. The raise will be an afterthought at that point.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
If at all appropriate to share, I’m very interested in what kind of “ideas” are being put in these kids heads.[/quote]

I’d be happy to go into it. Too late tonight, though. If I don’t respond in the next 24 hours feel free to bump this thread to remind me, or maybe I’d better start a new one. There’s some pretty interesting stuff there and I could go on and on and on and on and on. Chushin and Gambit_Lost, along with a few other posters (Pimpbot? others?) can back me up or keep me in check, but I’m sure they have some pretty wild stories of their own. I guess you missed the one a while back in PWI where Chushin and I were discussing the Atomic Bomb Museum/Propaganda Machine and the way Japanese children are conditioned from a very early age to think about what happened in WWII.

That should whet your palate, a bit.

Ahh, never mind, I found the thread.

Tons of red meat here for you here:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/world_news_war/navigator_on_enloa_gay_interview

I interviewed for the job I currently have back in 2003. The economy sucked back then too especially for IT careers. I was able to negotiate my salary a little and got an extra $8,000 per year. Their offer was less than I expected so I wanted more because I had decent experience. I didn’t have any other offers at the time so maybe it was risky. But I had the feeling they knew they were getting a bargain based on the interviews.

I don’t think I would do the same if it were my first job. But I would have no problem asking for a raise at my review if I felt I deserved it.

I used to have this conversation at least 2 times a year, at review time.

Them: “I believe I deserve a pay increase, IH.”

IH: “Ok… why?” (for some reason, just me asking this would get me a semi-shocked look, almost every time)

Them: " Well, I’m here every day i’m scheduled to work, rarely late, leave on time, plan my time off accordingly, help my co-workers whenever they ask, work OT when I have to… etc.

IH: “Oh, but you ARE getting rewarded every other Friday… by getting a paycheck.”

Them: :expressionless:

IH: “I’m not saying this to be mean, but everything you said, is what you’re getting PAID to do…your job. Increases are given when you go above and beyond what you are doing on a continuous basis… and, not a couple of months before you review, either.”

I’m sure others have had similar discussions.

We have an annual cost of living adjustment (which I think is fair; several people I know never get any raise at all, while their costs DO go up due to economic forces), and then there are “real” promotions/raises on top of that, if deemed appropriate.

Just wanted to thank beans, Cortes and IH for their great posts.

I read through some of this thread, but the question I have is what kind of company are you being offered a job with? More than 50 employees? Ask for $2,000 more. Every time I’ve done this I’ve gotten the money THEN gone in and done what Counting Beans suggested.

Less than 50? I’ve never been in this situation, but I find it hard to believe that if a company wanted you they would hold off on givine you $2K more. It’s a lot of money to look for a new employee…once they find someone they want to offer a job to it’s easier to give them $2K rather than start the process over again.

FWIW I make $130K roughly in the DC area and have and always will ask for an extra $2K every time I get a job offer. It’s a personal thing ever since AGREEING to LET a hiring agent negotiate for me and coming back with the big news the original offer stands.