T Nation

Safety Squat Bar

My gym just got one this week, and leg day was today

began my leg session with hamstrings obvi (Thank you John Meadows)

then moved onto the safety squat… loaded up 1 pps…

holy shit. SHIT IS HARD! it’s like a full body workout. I felt everything from my quads/hams/glutes to my lower/middle/upper back and abs being absolutely crushed.

eventually worked my way up to 3pps for a triple and then 2 pps for a widowmaker where the last few reps were almost turned into a squat/good morning hybrid because of how the bar loads the weight.

everything still hurts.

i really recommend this bar… a must have IMO, especially if you have any shoulder/biceps/elbow issues

or if you fucked up your hands… or dont even have any hands

the bar actually doesnt need to be held in place

I have always wondered how these bars felt by reading peoples posts about them.I have thought about buying one for a long time.I think i’m gonna get off the fence and purchase one.Thanks for the info Mr.Walkway.

Im seriously thinking about getting one. How did it feel on your knees compared to a normal bar?

[quote]dudsman wrote:
Im seriously thinking about getting one. How did it feel on your knees compared to a normal bar?[/quote]

well i always squat with knee sleeves/wraps so it didnt really feel any different

but the safety squat bar REALLY makes you focus on your form, that’s what i noticed

All other things being equal (stance, depth, etc) Did you feel it hit your quads better than compared to a normal bar squat? I tried an unloaded one a few weeks ago, felt really comfortable to me but hard to judge with no weight on the bar.

[quote]dudsman wrote:
All other things being equal (stance, depth, etc) Did you feel it hit your quads better than compared to a normal bar squat? I tried an unloaded one a few weeks ago, felt really comfortable to me but hard to judge with no weight on the bar.[/quote]

i feel that it absolutely did yes

[quote]jppage wrote:
I have always wondered how these bars felt by reading peoples posts about them.I have thought about buying one for a long time.I think i’m gonna get off the fence and purchase one.Thanks for the info Mr.Walkway.[/quote]

They’re great, especially when you’re having lower back or shoulder problems. Like Mr. W said, they even build up the traps.

what’s the difference between these and front squats, apart from the ease of holding the bar?

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
what’s the difference between these and front squats, apart from the ease of holding the bar?[/quote]

honestly… the feel is very similar

but with SSB, it’s MUCH easier to hold the bar in place obvi

I went about 1-2 years only squatting with the SSB. One of the best things about the bar is that it also builds the deadlift due to the location of the camber in the bar. It will also develop your mid-lower back like no other.

Everyone should have one of these.

And a deadlift bar.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
My gym just got one this week, and leg day was today

began my leg session with hamstrings obvi (Thank you John Meadows)

then moved onto the safety squat… loaded up 1 pps…

holy shit. SHIT IS HARD! it’s like a full body workout. I felt everything from my quads/hams/glutes to my lower/middle/upper back and abs being absolutely crushed.

eventually worked my way up to 3pps for a triple and then 2 pps for a widowmaker where the last few reps were almost turned into a squat/good morning hybrid because of how the bar loads the weight.

everything still hurts.

i really recommend this bar… a must have IMO, especially if you have any shoulder/biceps/elbow issues

or if you fucked up your hands… or dont even have any hands

the bar actually doesnt need to be held in place[/quote]

Yeah I remember Meadows saying you don’t have to go to parallel with them cause of the stability necessary.

If I get enough moolah in the summer I will definitely order one, just to do a death squat like big bad Dave Tate…

…except I will have only a plate aside cause i’m a girl :slight_smile:

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/death_squat

lol… ill never understand powerlifting

that’s not to say that i particularly agree with Thib’s skin-tight shirt either haha

Man I miss the SSB. Try some goodmornings with them. Absolutely brutal. Some people even like to do them with the back rounded.

I have a SSB at my gym and I’ve never even bothered using it. You’ve definitely changed my mind though.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Man I miss the SSB. Try some goodmornings with them. Absolutely brutal. Some people even like to do them with the back rounded. [/quote]

Gotta work dem upper spinal erectors

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
lol… ill never understand powerlifting

that’s not to say that i particularly agree with Thib’s skin-tight shirt either haha[/quote]

That wasn’t powerlifting, so don’t try to understand it if you ARE trying to understand powerlifting. Dave retired from the sport a while ago.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Man I miss the SSB. Try some goodmornings with them. Absolutely brutal. Some people even like to do them with the back rounded. [/quote]

Gotta work dem upper spinal erectors

tried those upper back good mornings… they are KILLER holy cow… they are hard to feel at first, but i did 3 sets of 10 of the GM’s supersetted with 3 sets of 10 of SSB shrugs (per “mega” set)

the superseting like they did in the video made em really easy to feel and wow it killed

3 “mega” sets and i was toasted… these are definitely a keeper

I have a EFS Yoke bar. First few times I used it and went “heavy” it tried to fold me in half like a lawn chair. Felt like Rampage Jackson had me in a Guillotine or some shit. with a straight bar I could squat 495 for a triple. With the Yoke bar I got fucking owned by 310#! …yeah…

GET ONE. You will not regret it. It is nothing like a front squat. Like other have said, it will also help your deadlift.

I also have an EFS Spider bar. This bar is a serious ass kicker as well. First time I tried it I got owned by 260#! WTF I said, I’m a weak bitch… It is a definite humbler. Now I’m up to 310# for about 8 reps. It’s a love / hate relationship with that bar. You get loose or try to muscle the bar up with your back and the weight swings forward on you and folds you in half while trying to take your head off on the way down with a quickness. For me, the spider bar NEGATES any “gear” I use to assist me lift more. Belt, does shit, Metal Pro briefs, doesn’t add a single pound to my lift. I don’t understand that shit.

When I go back to a straight bar the bar feel like nothing on my back.

If I had to pick one over the other I’d go with the YOKE /SSB hands down. I consider it a must have for any serious person that trains.

Just wanted to bump this and say thanks for all the feedback in here on the SSB.I picked one up and you guy’s were right on,freakin love it.

I respect Meadows but his advice to not go to at least parallel on the SSB is short sighted. I’m 6’4" and I squat off an 8" box just fine with it. Yeah the core is the weak link going low and it limits the weight but then again you are using a SSB. One can do a variety of depths to work the strengths of the SSB as well as work around them.