T Nation

Safety Squat Bar Worth Getting?

A friend of mine is looking to get rid of some of his home gym equipment.

He’s short on money for bills this month.

Other than the Oly weights, the only other piece I may be interested in
is the safety squat bar.

Reason being, I’m always looking for new ways to add to my home gym;
ways to do diff exercise.

Whats the differance between this and just doing reg squats? Is it true
it works the lower back somewhat harder, using stabilizer muscle to prevent a person from leaning foward in the squat motion?

Whats the pro’s & con’s to using this kind of bar?

Any help is appreciated.

Do you mean a smith machine?

[quote]ncscarface wrote:
Do you mean a smith machine?[/quote]

Nah, I wouldn’t want that.This isn’t the one from him but it’s the clearest pic I can find online of one.

I would get it. Elitefts lists a few exercises that use it i.e. safety squat bar good mornings etc.

it keeps you more upright, and trashes your mid and lower back. If you have a problem with you chest collapsing, then this will definately help.

I have only gotten to use it a few times, and I have loved it. I say do it.

Agreed. I absolutely love these things, and am trying to talk my gym into getting one as we speak. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

Kubo

YES get it have one myself and very very helpful piece of equipment. puts the load higher and further forward then even an oly squat, teaches you to really force the tight upright position.

also great for lunges etc you can use the bar no handed. do over laod work HEAVY actually holding nto the rack etc.

Also take the wear off your shoulders from all the bb squating

Phill

I wake up every day sad that I don’t have one. Whenever I travel to a gym that does, I treat it like ambrosia and drink it for all it’s worth. BUY IT!

The SSB is great.

If you’re interested in a less expensive “alternative” check out Dave Drapers Top Squat Device. It won’t place the load in front of the body as much, but it will let you get your arms in front of the bar, taking your lats out of the movement and giving your shoulders a break.

-Matt

I think it is a valiable training aid. Not only for variation of squat position but also it has been helpful many times when I had some sort of injury that made it hard to hold a straight barbell. In addition, with the safety squat bar you can also easily do standing calf raises and still be able to hold on to something for balance.

I got one. It really works the upper back erectors a lot for goodmornings and squats. Personally, I can’t hold on to the rack with the SS bar. It falls off. I’ve also used it for rack pulls because the knurling is so prominent.

Yes. It is one of the most important pieces of equipment I have ever used.

Well…next to the monolift of course.

[quote]Florida Titan wrote:
Yes. It is one of the most important pieces of equipment I have ever used.

Well…next to the monolift of course.[/quote]

But can you actually hold on to the rack? How high do you place your hands? Waist high?

If not, why is it better than a regular bar?

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
I got one. It really works the upper back erectors a lot for goodmornings and squats. Personally, I can’t hold on to the rack with the SS bar. It falls off. I’ve also used it for rack pulls because the knurling is so prominent.[/quote]

HMMM? odd what kind/brand do you have?? for mine to fall off it would literally have to rip my head off.

I can grab the rack and place feet well out in front of me hitting the quads more.

like another said for heavy calve raises and brace on the rack etc

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
mertdawg wrote:
I got one. It really works the upper back erectors a lot for goodmornings and squats. Personally, I can’t hold on to the rack with the SS bar. It falls off. I’ve also used it for rack pulls because the knurling is so prominent.

HMMM? odd what kind/brand do you have?? for mine to fall off it would literally have to rip my head off.

I can grab the rack and place feet well out in front of me hitting the quads more.

like another said for heavy calve raises and brace on the rack etc

Phill
[/quote]

Can’t remember, maybe York, and 1500 pound load.

One thing is that the weights hang down exactly in the same plane as the handles. I have seen some where the weights are angled out in front of the handles a little. When my shoulders come up, it falls off my back-backwards.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

Can’t remember, maybe York, and 1500 pound load.

One thing is that the weights hang down exactly in the same plane as the handles. I have seen some where the weights are angled out in front of the handles a little. When my shoulders come up, it falls off my back-backwards.

[/quote]

that still just odd the weights i line with the handle and cambered how the bar is should have the load wanting to rotate forward the pads press down in front

just crazy i say :slight_smile:

Phill