Safest Way to Clinch

For a take down or dirty boxing. We’re talking MMA here, or at least that’s where I’m coming from. I noticed that there is a lot of ‘falling’ in to the clinch. Where you clinch simply because you’re close, and or exhausted. But I want to clinch offensively. Ideas?

Offensive Clinch…Muay Thai Clinch is the way to go!

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
For a take down or dirty boxing. We’re talking MMA here, or at least that’s where I’m coming from. I noticed that there is a lot of ‘falling’ in to the clinch. Where you clinch simply because you’re close, and or exhausted. But I want to clinch offensively. Ideas?[/quote]

Well…first,make good use of your jab to set it up. Then ideally,you want to close distance with your footwork…DON’T reach/over-extend. Then initiate the clinch by shooting in your feinted jab/lead hand(making sure to keep guard with other hand).

That way if you don’t get the clinch,you won’t leave yourself too vulnerable. That is how I was taught…it works for me,but I’m sure there is more that could added to what I’ve given.

I don’t understand what you’re asking… I think you mean what tactics would you use to purposely enter clinch range? There’s a shitload you can do. There’s the “randy couture” which is overhand right into body clinch. I’ve been fucking around with casting punches lately.

It’s a SHIT boxing technique but if you integrate it every now and then you can use it to crash clinch range.

Just remember that it’s a COMPLETELY different thing than the ‘russian hook’:

Let’s see op first:

The question is, what is your clinching aim, if there is one.
Do you want to quickly enter clinch, or have the weapons to make it nasty, while staying there?
Do you want to avoid ground, or is it a preference or a even a bonus?
And so on.
Depending on that, the answer must be a different one.

more about russian “long” hooks and casting hooks later on, since I have to leave now.

-S

Please go into more detail on long hooks and casting when you can…

One of the simplest ways to close the gap is using a “cross arm jam”. Basically you place both of your arms horizontally, one on top of the other across your face and hide your head behind your arms.

Then aggressively close the distance. Even if they throw a punch you should smother it with your forward energy and you should be fairly well protected. Once you make contact continue with the forward pressure and enter into a clinch (whichever one you feel serves your purpose best).

This is a very easily learned tactic and is fairly safe. Of course it’s just one of many, and will work best if you set it up with strikes beforehand.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
…(whichever one you feel serves your purpose best)…[/quote]

I think that’s what it all comes down to, isn’t it?

There’s no one superior form of clinching. Entering the clinch can be easy, but do you know how to clinch? What do you want to do once you’re in the clinch? Strike? Grapple? Reposition? You really need to consider your goals in the clinch.

I’m a standup-fighter, so for me it’s the Muay Thai clinch all the way. There’s a good Rob Kaman video on the Muay Thai clinch and how to enter it, I’m sure you can find it somewhere. But then there’s the question of rules - for example, over here you can’t elbow in amateur MMA bouts, taking a huge benefit away from the Muay Thai clinch.

Judo clinch might also work if tweaked towards no-gi. Wrestling clinch does work no-gi.

Just decide what you want to do inside the clinch, look at people who do that and you’ll have your answers. Or clarify your goals. Otherwise it’s hard to give good advice, really… Not meant to piss you off, I just really think there’s some crucial info missing in your question.

@the guy with the awesome avatar

I have a hard time with these casting punches EVEN though I’m so in love with exotic punches and -for the lack of a better word- “striking theory”.

Thing is, Fedor doesn’t throw them, his punches are no “casting punches”.
The Sambo guy is probably a beast, but I doubt his theory very much. Does it work in the vid- yes. Would it work and could you rely on them in a fight? Did Fedor ever use this rather complicated and unnatural movement or did he not rather combine basic techniques seemlessly together, which sound way less awesome then a secret technique?

Let me add that I also think the whole idea behind “russian long hooks” is vague and poorly understood-
just as the majority of most striking techniques are. <–which is my real beef here.

-S

I always found it’s all range. Sure you can jab (flash the face) and quickly go in for the clinch. If your going for the knee on the clinch ALWAYS keep your hands up no matter what. How many times I see guys wanna drop their hands… :expressionless:

From what I’ve seen:
clinch come from throwing a combination, and a knee…guy gets hurt from knee so the clinch comes on and you go from there…
also just guys basically covering up and then the other putting the clinch on and keep it tight, turning their body…if the other guy doesn’t know how to get it he’s fucked…cause a) he will try to duck his head out from under…which will let him eat a knee…or b) try to muscle it.
That’s what I’ve seen in MMA at least.

Rua vs. Rampage is a good example. - - YouTube
T
o be OFFENSIVE in the clinch!
If he goes for body hook for defence, spread the feet out wide for your base and throw a knee…try to push head down.
if he’s staying in close n tight…turn him to throw him off, add the knee…

If he’s using his arms as well…look for openings for c-grip, double unders.

For the most part when he is DOING SOMETHING, you should be simulately capitlizing on it and already making transitions.
If you know how to defend most clinch moves…you’ll know how to bang back with one of your own.
always remember…make the triangle with your forearms to defend getting clinched…i think of it as I look good (that movement you do with your hands putting them on the side of the head lol) that works well to dfened someone from putting a clinch on you

I don’t know how you clinch, but when we clinch it can go on for a long time very gently making transitions and flowing constantly.

I’m kinda going off topic here lol and can keep going on but should probably stop

Last advice…in sparring just keep trying to be offensive with it and focus on your clinch…it’ll come.
Don’t think about it so much, it’ll never work. It’s one of those things that you will see when in the ring/cage when to capitlize…hipefully your coach is good enough to see what your doing wrong trying to close the gap with the clinch to just clinch and he can help you out.

i think anything that causes them to cover up will work for setting up the clinch…

i think a lead leg leg-kick followed by a hook works well, and you can transitition to a clinch pretty easy.

btw, good post, and advice!

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
One of the simplest ways to close the gap is using a “cross arm jam”. Basically you place both of your arms horizontally, one on top of the other across your face and hide your head behind your arms.

Then aggressively close the distance. Even if they throw a punch you should smother it with your forward energy and you should be fairly well protected. Once you make contact continue with the forward pressure and enter into a clinch (whichever one you feel serves your purpose best).

This is a very easily learned tactic and is fairly safe. Of course it’s just one of many, and will work best if you set it up with strikes beforehand.[/quote]

this was shown and is very effective when having to do the lvl 1 army combatives drill.

(you cannot strike and must achieve the clinch against an opponent who is boxing you)