T Nation

Safe, Progressive and Focused Inroad

The progression of Weight-Induced Resistance Exercise has been developed and improved over decades. The primary experts, which for the most support their own findings, are Dr. Darden, John Little, Fred Hahn and Pete Sisco.
My views and notes are strictly one of a student and applier of these protocols. Some crucial experiences and guidelines stated precisely . . . in no particular order.

10182001: Inroad a muscle and avoid overloading our system
10182002: Assure adequate inroad through muscle failure
10182003: Do not off-load, out-road, perform
10182004: Focus and apply the load on a muscle
10182005: Protect non-muscle tissues such as cartilage, tendons and joints
10182006: Near-zero and zero motion assures near-perfect to perfect measurement
10182007: Exhaust muscles not your body/system
10182008: Gains should occur every session
10182009: Plan your next session with an increased dose/prescription
10182010: Adjust your session with Volume, Recovery Time, Load and Exercise Selection
10182011: Avoid System Inflammation and CNS Trauma

Gains will be realizable and measurable once one assures direct focused resistance into a muscle/muscle-group

10182012: Improvement is measured in Weight Utilized, Muscular Size and Strength
10182013: Strength is relative only to yourself and must be measurable to be supportive
10182014: Recovery Time and Session Volume are best adjusted independently
10182015: Time Under Load (TUL or TUT(tension) should remain constant once an adequate weight is developed

My recent experience in a six day recovery time was not enough for my Leg Press exercise as I adjusted the moment arm (5 degrees) for about the last two seconds. My experience today was intense and locked in for the entire exercise … after eight days recovery and five pound increase. That point leads to the following …

10182016: Under a Max Pyramid hold the angle of the joint(s) must be maintained to assure the full intensity of the prescribed load. Adjustment will inadvertently make the hold a bit easier leading to a decrease in planned intensity. One should focus on a steady non-moving hold since a sight tweak/change eases the intense focus into the muscle/muscle-group.

What does this mean

3 Likes

I think it’s a combination of
and

6 Likes

Interesting… Back in the good old days, either Darden’s old forum, or maybe the Body By Science forum, you said that you only trained your legs once every 6 to 8 weeks.

1 Like

Hi planet_health,
Unfortunately whatever you’re trying to communicate is lost in the complexity of your descriptions, the words you use and the numbering system you’ve employed. I’ve fathomed out that 101820XX is just the date with a sequence number but am lost as to what you mean by off-load, out-road or how you could exhaust a muscle but not your body/system when they are part of your body/system. I am also unclear on how you can make or measure gains every session and why you would want to increase the dose/prescription (I assume you mean amount) of exercise each exercise session and how that can correlate to adjusting volume. Do you mean adjust up or down?

1 Like

Yeah I thought this section was for Dr Ds coaching, not for some faceless troll to promote the ideas of others. Grant refuses to see the validity of Dr Ds other ideas, such as 30-10-30, 15-15-15 + 8-12, 10-10-10 or high carb/low fat diet recommendations, inspite of the fact many have been successful. Huh, and he’d the cheek to accuse others with “diluting” Dr Ds message.

Yup, leg press once every six weeks is what he said. Limitless progress eh lol

Keeping tension on the muscles you’re trying to work is Good. Keep the muscle “Loaded” so you get “Inroads.”

When you bounce, heave or swing and take tension off the muscle you are “Off-Loading” and who knows what you’re working when that happens? The work is “Off Roaded.”

That’s a pretty solid concept, all my favorite lifters and coaches go out of their way and use all kinds of special techniques and equipment to keep the work where it’s supposed to go.

Exhausting your muscles, not your system is like “bodybuilding” and focusing on fatiguing muscles Vs “powerlifting” and training/fatiguing your Central Nervous System. Like how bodybuilders don’t spend a lot of time deadlifting, because it tires you out without really stimulating tons of mass.

So none of that is really controversial. Except I thought that really slow, weighted movements pounded the snot out of your CNS. Or is that only when the weights are heavy-heavy?