T Nation

Safe Exercises?

1. DB Swings (Wouldn’t the DB somehow be pulling your arm out of your shoulder during the swing?)

2. Natural GHRs (Isn’t it bad to have all your weight place directly on your knee while you curl your leg?)

3. OH Squats (Puts my wrists at a wierd angle, and I end up with pain)

4. Neck Bridges

Thanks for the help

[quote]vision1 wrote:

1. DB Swings (Wouldn’t the DB somehow be pulling your arm out of your shoulder during the swing?)

2. Natural GHRs (Isn’t it bad to have all your weight place directly on your knee while you curl your leg?)

4. Neck Bridges

Thanks for the help[/quote]

DB swings are fine, the naturals do place more stress on the knee but most people don’t have a problem with them, OH squats are fine, your grip is messed up, and neck bridges are pretty worthless IMHO.

[quote]vision1 wrote:

4. Neck Bridges

Thanks for the help[/quote]

Are you hands too far out for the OHS?

[quote]ExNole wrote:
vision1 wrote:

4. Neck Bridges

Thanks for the help

Are you hands too far out for the OHS?
[/quote]

Possibly

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
vision1 wrote:

4. Neck Bridges

Thanks for the help

DB swings are fine, the naturals do place more stress on the knee but most people don’t have a problem with them, OH squats are fine, your grip is messed up, and neck bridges are pretty worthless IMHO.[/quote]

the statement about neck bridges being useless should be qualified, I think. For the average trainee they might be better if left out of a program, but if the trainee was into any contact sport, but particularly MMA, neck bridges are definitely an important piece of the puzzle. Certainly helps to have that neck strength when you find yourself in some unfavorable positions during a fight.

Chins and Pullups.

Safest big exercises I know. As long as you don’t pull behind your neck or do a really wide grip, it’s hard to mess up your joints.

For natural GHR, try kneeling on a DB bench and using a belt to strap your ankles down.

DB swings never struck me as hard on your shoulders really…

Overhead squats take some getting used to… I’m about a month into them and I’m experiencing less pain in my wrists with them lately and the weights been going up so it seems like its in the form.

I have never really experienced a lot of wrist pain when I OH Squat so I am not sure about those being unsafe. Also, neck bridging is very good when done in moderation. For most people, bridge once a week and do some neck harness stuff on another day.