Sad Thing at the Gym!

I know what you mean.
When I started lifting 5 yrs ago, I just made a program based on what I thought was good.
You know the 3x12 approach.
never heard of warming up, or logginh in a diary, sleep hah who needs it. if its not balls to the wall, hammer yourself and puke in the locker room its not a good wokrout. if it doesnt take close to 2 hours, youll get no gains.

shit… what the hell was i thinking. luckily i found Ian King and saw the light.

My pet peeves @ the gym:
: no training diaries or logging of anykind.
sloppy technique and form.
no tempo.
no warm-up,
no strecthing. and if they do stretch its for 2-3 mins with crappy technique.
people training there forearms and always wear straps.
people do 100+ ab reps 2 a time, always doing curl ups. my guess is these individuals hip flexors r tighter then a 7 yr old girl!

i could go on and on, but i guess we dont learn until we make the mistake.

[quote]MNguns wrote:
My pet peeves @ the gym:
: no training diaries or logging of anykind.
sloppy technique and form.
no tempo.
no warm-up,
no strecthing. and if they do stretch its for 2-3 mins with crappy technique.
people training there forearms and always wear straps.
people do 100+ ab reps 2 a time, always doing curl ups. my guess is these individuals hip flexors r tighter then a 7 yr old girl!

i could go on and on, but i guess we dont learn until we make the mistake.[/quote]

I don’t keep a training diary, never have. I don’t feel it’s necessary, I have plan when I’m training, but at the same time I kind of just feel my way through my workouts. Besides that, I don’t really have much of a problem what my workouts from the past few days were, so I don’t see a need for one.

I also don’t use a tempo either. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like some people make too big a deal about tempo. I prefer to just worry about lifting heavy things.

As for stretching, it’s fairly useless to stretch before you work out, and I pretty much never stretch at the gym anyway. That doesn’t mean I don’t stretch though. Currently I’m working towards a full split, I stretch every day. I generally don’t feel like I can get an effective stretch right after lifting weights though, so I don’t bother stretching until later in the day.

I’ve gained almost 30lbs in the last 6 months. So really, I personally don’t see those things as being a mistake.

i recently discoverd 10x3 and been using it im 19 i hear some little 16 year old on juice try to make fun of me under his breath and say yeah he does like 20 sets.

[quote]BigMike wrote:
i recently discoverd 10x3 and been using it im 19 i hear some little 16 year old on juice try to make fun of me under his breath and say yeah he does like 20 sets. [/quote]

No one on this board will take you seriously unless you use proper grammar, big guy. Please try to be taken seriously.

Different reps schemes induce different physiological adaptations.

While avoiding a Poliquin-style argument, low reps will favor mostly a neurological adaptation, while higher reps will favor mostly a physiological adaptation.

Low reps, whose principal consequence is maximum strength gains as opposed to maximum hypertrophy, work by increasing the number of muscle fibers activated during exercise. Type IIa & IIb fibers are favoured, and the goal is to wake up the very high threshold fiber bundles. Hypertrophy occurs, but is normally not the main adaptation. Cappilary density does not improve,and may deteriorate.

Higher reps, whose principal consequence is muscle hypertrophy - within certain limits that is - work mainly by increasing both capillary density and muscle fiber hypertrophy. Here, very high threshold fiber bundles are not targeted, and hence massive strength gains are normally not consequent. Type IIb fibers tend to adapt by changing into type IIa - that is, they gain oxidative capabilities, allowing them to endure. Increased capillary density accounts for some hypertrophy.

The fact of the matter is, to off-hand dimiss one group of training parameters because they don’t match your current level of knowledge is naive at best.
Different types of training have very real applications in maximal strength and maximal hypertrophy. Simple parameter variation would require this to be true.

All experts have divided into several subcategories which subscribe to different training views. Who are you going to trust? They’ve all gotten results! This further supports the statement that different types of training have a very real place in the gym.

[quote]BigMike wrote:
i recently discoverd 10x3 and been using it im 19 i hear some little 16 year old on juice try to make fun of me under his breath and say yeah he does like 20 sets. [/quote]

Very powerful words of wisdom.

Dude, that’s nothing.

I was training at a gym in montreal back in the 80s where a Mr. Canada used to train.

Mr. Canada is doing leg extensions and giving diet advice to 3 schmucks about what they should eat to get big.

Basically this is what he said (while still repping), “Eat tons of yogurt! When I was bulking for my big contest I was eating 4-5 litres of that shit a day and I was growing like mad.”

He knocks off a few more reps.

“Mind you, thats when I really started juicing to the gills.”

Schmucks taking in what he just said" … … Yeah… … … I got to buy some yogurt."

The whole time I’m thinking,"Weren’t you fucking listening to him?!?!?! I guess I’m the only one at that gym who thinks roids are more powerful than yogurt.

There’s nothing worse than the “I know” attitude.There’s a guy who comes over to workout only on bench days.The guys I workout with constantly rely on me to put together our workout.We work with low reps,forcing a few extra every set,and do them about 45 seconds apart.This guy says we shouldn’t burn ourselves out like we do and wait longer in between set so we can bench more each time.I tell em its not about what we bench its about breaking our muscles down,and he really pisses me off b/c he tries to push his theories onto my partners who really don’t know otherwise.

Luckily this cat only comes over on bench days cause I’d probably knock out his front teeth and plaque em to the wall.lol,sacrifice our most important reps and wait longer so we can lift more each set.Plus the guy refuses to listen to me b/c I’m younger than he is.There’s nothing worse than a guy who’s to stubborn to listen what’s best for him.

chubs, I’m glad you’re back on this site, making sense as usual!

I’ll occasionally go over and help someone if I see them doing something Really wrong, and I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all. In fact, when I first found T-mag I started going to the gym and lifting, and trying to teach myself to deadlift. Well my form was beyond horrible apparently and I could barely pull 135. One guy in my school gym saw me wearing my chuck taylors while doing it, came over to talk to me, and it turned out he read t-mag as well. He spent some time with me working on my form and by the time I left I had a pretty good idea of what I should be doing and how the movement was supposed to feel. I’ve always been really appreciative of that and as such try to help others when I can.

Training is like religion. Everyone says there way is better then everyone elses.

Um… thats about it. Nothing else to say :slight_smile:

Makes me glad I train in my basement. No one bothers me when I train Rocky style…ALONE!!

You just haven’t seen sad until you’ve seen some chicks training - many of them don’t pick up a dumbell bigger than 5 pounds, and they do everything - bench press, overhead press, lat raises - on the frickin swiss ball to ‘work their core’. Then they finish the workout blitz with a grueling 5 minutes reading magazines on the reclining bike.
Meanwhile I’m pounding my fists into my temples.

What muscle does that work?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Meanwhile I’m pounding my fists into my temples.

What muscle does that work?[/quote]

Touche. With a slanty thing over the ‘e’.

[quote]hareboll wrote:
High school weightlifting myths are retarded especially. It was junior year of high school, i’m box squatting like upper 200’s, I dont know, i do much more today (mid 400’s at 170 bodyweight) but you know, it was high school back then. My two friends come up, biggest guys on the team at the time, both squatting high 3’s or low 4’s, they ask me what im doing. I try and explain why this works, why i squat wide, why 20 rep squats down to their ankles with a narrow stance MIGHT not be good for them (though 20 rep squats are killer). All i get is dumbfounded expressions and “you’re retarded dude”.

I kid you not, two days later the coach gets the whole team doing box squats. I laughed my ass off. As of now, both guys who were talking to me can no longer squat because of knee pain (at 19! years old!). [/quote]

I doubt that it was the 20 rep full squats that messed up their knees. If you bounce, then you will probably have knee problems but you’re not supposed to bounce anyways.

I’ve heard of guys doing full squats their entire life and they dont have any problems.

[quote]mls jr. wrote:
There’s nothing worse than the “I know” attitude.There’s a guy who comes over to workout only on bench days.The guys I workout with constantly rely on me to put together our workout.We work with low reps,forcing a few extra every set,and do them about 45 seconds apart.This guy says we shouldn’t burn ourselves out like we do and wait longer in between set so we can bench more each time.I tell em its not about what we bench its about breaking our muscles down,and he really pisses me off b/c he tries to push his theories onto my partners who really don’t know otherwise.

Luckily this cat only comes over on bench days cause I’d probably knock out his front teeth and plaque em to the wall.lol,sacrifice our most important reps and wait longer so we can lift more each set.Plus the guy refuses to listen to me b/c I’m younger than he is.There’s nothing worse than a guy who’s to stubborn to listen what’s best for him.[/quote]

Read your last sentence little fella. You should probably be listening to this guy. Either that or ragdoll him.

My brother just got pounced on Sunday. we are doing Waterbury’s lift fast program. It was the 6x3 day and he was told it will do nothing for size, not enough reps and that he should do squats in the smith machine. The guy just tore everything about the program apart. Then Ryan asked if he read T-Nation, Then told him he should… It was classic.

I can appreciate someone trying to help if your doing something flat out wrong, or if you ask. But he just Hammered on everything he was doing as being bad… Squats are too deep, hit the leg press machine for size, blah blah. It was everything Waterbury and others on here tell you not to do.

Our gym has virtually no real trainers and no one is there to coach on proper form or anything. In our case someone needs to step up an help others. The guy doing quarter squats because he doesn’t know any better. Things like that.

I got lucky in finding T-Nation, most are on their own and rely on BB mags… Yikes!

I too have seen many interesting exercises being done in the gym. When I was a trainer I actually had an older gentleman come up to me, while training my client, and tell me that I was doing the exercise wrong. I politely told him I appreciated his input, but said I would stick to what I was doing.

I dont really think there is a right and wrong way to train. I believe there are simply more efficient ways to train than others.

People tend to have too much pride to ask for help, yet when they learn even a little about training they think they know it all.

Next time you see someone doing a rather unusual exercise maybe try asking what their purpose is for doing that exercise. You never know what their reasoning may be behind the exercises or training program they are performing. Just something to consider.

[quote]Heowww wrote:
chubs, I’m glad you’re back on this site, making sense as usual![/quote]

lol Whatchu talkin’ about? I never make sense.