T Nation

Sad State of Affairs...

Just thought I’d share a few disturbing headlines that were on MSN today. The first one was entitled “many teen girls use steroids” (here’s the full link - http://health.msn.com/womenshealth/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100164295&GT1=10056).

Apparently one survey claimed that in SEVENTH graders over 7% admitted to having used anabolic steroids. Then of course there was the “expert” saying how terrible this is etc etc, and how steroids can cause “rage, depression blah blah blah”. When someone finally showed some common sense and said this was bullshit and that most seventh graders don’t even KNOW what steroids are, he was shot down by another so called expert! How ignorant can some people be!?

Another one read “Makeup for…men”, and discussed how men are using makeup even more and how companies are now designing men’s ranges of makeups etc. etc.

Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten out of bed this morning…

One of the articles on here pointed out how a lack of information leads to stuff like the steroid “news”. That is, since so many people dont even know what steroids ARE, they end up claiming to be on 'roids when they’re on, say, creatine or protein powder. So they get these “figures” off of this misinformation.

And if guys want to wear makeup, good for them. More power to em.

[quote]Colin5989 wrote:
SEVENTH graders over 7% admitted to having used anabolic steroids. Then of course there was the “expert” saying how terrible this is etc etc, and how steroids can cause “rage, depression blah blah blah”. When someone finally showed some common sense and said this was bullshit and that most seventh graders don’t even KNOW what steroids are, he was shot down by another so called expert! How ignorant can some people be!?[/quote]

Exactly…

99% of 7th grade girls couldn’t name their states governor let alone actually know what AAS are.

Plus, factor in the number of sarcastic 7th graders girls that just say shit to get a raise out of people then laugh about it later with their friends.

There is no way in hell that survey is even remotely accurate.

But most people are gullible as hell and tend to believe whatever nonsense the media, politicians, and head-stuck-up-their-ass social scientists tell them.

I recall being in JH or HS and beign given a survey that covered our experience with drugs and sexual behaviors. Everyone I knew, including myself, felt it was bullshit and made up most of the answers. So much for scientific validity on that study.

Any study based of a survey of teenagers is real shaky unless you can show you figured out a way to make sure they’re being honest.

What kind of spastic retard actual published this bullshit? 7th graders? He must be dumber than they are.

I wonder what color wrist band they would wear?

[quote]lawsonsamuels wrote:
I recall being in JH or HS and beign given a survey that covered our experience with drugs and sexual behaviors. Everyone I knew, including myself, felt it was bullshit and made up most of the answers. So much for scientific validity on that study.

Any study based of a survey of teenagers is real shaky unless you can show you figured out a way to make sure they’re being honest.[/quote]

When I was in junior high, we got to fill out a study like that.

All of us falsely reported that we were addicted to heroin and crack, and that we had had “sexual relations” with 15+ people (not specifically girls, just people), that we shared our needles and never used condoms, etc… I was 13 at the time.

Anyway, a few weeks later, we made the local news for being a school full of delinquents with a drug and sex problem. Official looking scientists furrowed their brows and used words like “disturbing”, “disquieting”, and “upsetting” when discussing our school on TV. They had decided that our school was a microcosm of society, and that we were the results of a permissive society gone too far, and that we as a culture needed to examine our own values to keep the number of kids like us from spreading.

The local paper got lots of letters about us, and parents were storming the school board meetings demanding that the school institute expensive drug testing, mentoring, and sex ed classes. They wanted to bring in professional counselors.

Finally, our principal stood up in the school board meeting and basically told our parents that ‘the people who issued the survey were dumb enough to give 13 y.o. children an anonymous survey about drugs and sex, and then the children acted like 13 y.o. children and lied about it. Anybody who believed this survey data was an idiot.’

Of course he was right, and the parents finally realized he was right, but we students thought we had pulled off the greatest prank ever when we caused this huge shit storm just by making stuff up on a survey.